Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • acidviolet
    • By acidviolet 10th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    acidviolet
    Land Registry Incorrect
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    Land Registry Incorrect 10th Feb 18 at 10:54 PM
    I am currently in the process of selling my house. It was a new build, owned only by myself since it was built. The buyer's solicitor has discovered that the land registry is incorrect - something my solicitor at the time of purchase failed to notice or tell me about. It turns out that a small square of land within my back gate has actually be registered to the neighbouring property.

Does anyone know how this can be rectified? I am an expecting mother desperate to move before the baby gets here and feeling very stressed that I may lose my buyer (for the second time).
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 10th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 58,173 Posts
    • 51,532 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    Did you not check the boundaries on the plan when you purchased the property? Your solicitor would have relied on you to pass comment.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    It sounds as if you boundary isn't straight but you have assumed that it is?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    • 7,301 Posts
    • 7,339 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    Does anyone know how this can be rectified?
    Originally posted by acidviolet
    Your solicitor will know - have you spoken to them about it?

I mean, it's possible it can't be rectified as such, but they'll at least be able to advise on the extent to which it matters and whether there are other solutions.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    How old is the house and how long have you lived there?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 5:00 AM
    • 24,773 Posts
    • 92,012 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:00 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:00 AM
    The buyer's solicitor has discovered that the land registry is incorrect - something my solicitor at the time of purchase failed to notice or tell me about. It turns out that a small square of land within my back gate has actually be registered to the neighbouring property.
    Originally posted by acidviolet
    As a solicitor doesn't usually visit a property, discrepancies like this are normally picked-up by purchasers when the title plan is examined during the purchase process. A purchaser is asked to confirm that the property being conveyed matches the plan.

In this instance, making the real world situation match the plan, by moving the gate, might be easier than trying to alter the two property titles. You will know whether this could work, or not.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • acidviolet
    • By acidviolet 12th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    acidviolet
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    Thanks all for your replies. I think moving the fence might be the best solution here.

The house was build in 2010, I lived there until 2014 and then moved out and let it.

I didn't notice it at the time of purchase - being a naive first time buyer I gave it a cursory glance and it looked correct. The overall shape is correct.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    If the small area of land is not important your buyer may prefer the fence left as it is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,757Posts Today

8,292Users online

Martin's Twitter