Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Africat
    • By Africat 10th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 910Posts
    • 1,430Thanks
    Africat
    buyer taking advantage?
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    buyer taking advantage? 10th Feb 18 at 10:47 PM
    I sold an item on Ebay recently(hair root cover up) and I did have a bad feeling before posting out as her feedback was only 12 and well what do you know; today I get a message from her claiming she's tried the item and it doesn't work!! we aren't talking an electrical item here where there could be a fault; it was fresh unused stock fully sealed.

Where do I stand with an item like this if she says it doesn't work? It's not like it's an item that you would expect a fault with, she either just doesn't like it or is taking advantage of Ebay policies (I'm feeling the latter!!)

Unfortunately, I feel like I'll be the one out of pocket as Ebay always sides with the buyer! If it were a claim of non receipt I'd at least be able to claim through Royal Mail!!
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    If the item was as described (i.e. packaged as root cover up), point out politely that you are sorry the result did not appeal to her but as you have accurately described the item you cannot offer a refund, not least because she has already used it. Suggest she takes it up with the manufacturer.

The fact her feedback is only 12 indicates she may be a new user (check her joining date). If so, be ultra-diplomatic. We were all new to ebay once.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    If the item was as described (i.e. packaged as root cover up), point out politely that you are sorry the result did not appeal to her but as you have accurately described the item you cannot offer a refund, not least because she has already used it. Suggest she takes it up with the manufacturer.

The fact her feedback is only 12 indicates she may be a new user (check her joining date). If so, be ultra-diplomatic. We were all new to ebay once.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Thanks for your reply Brynsam, appreciate it.

I did tell her to take it up with the manufacturer and she replied about me not taking accountability for my items!
    I asked her why she bought two if she hadn't used it to know if it would suit her and she said 'how am I supposed to know if it will suit me unless I try it? The product doesn't work at all'
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 10th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Lisbon
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    You are accountable for correctly describing what you are listing, not how it performs - repeat that if you have to.

Who knows if she followed the instructions? and buying two is plain daft. Block her!
    • SofaChillReview
    • By SofaChillReview 11th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SofaChillReview
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    I personally worry where this will go as you said with the eBay policies if you stamp your ground. Personally you will have to ask for them to sent it back and then refund them and do it that way, soon as they open a case your funds are out the Paypal account anyway so you could end up losing both, you'll also be likely to be expected to pay for return postage but this is also a bit of a gray area
    • Africat
    • By Africat 11th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    How do I block users??

Seems a bit unclear - it says user id with a comma in between each id - does this mean the comma goes directly after the id or user id then space then comma??

abc123, def456,

or

abc123 , def456 ,

anyone able to clarify for me??

Thanks in advance all...
    • Dox
    • By Dox 11th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Dox
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    How do I block users??

Seems a bit unclear - it says user id with a comma in between each id - does this mean the comma goes directly after the id or user id then space then comma??

abc123, def456,

or

abc123 , def456 ,

anyone able to clarify for me??

Thanks in advance all...
    Originally posted by Africat
    Immediately after the ID
    • Africat
    • By Africat 11th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    Immediately after the ID
    Originally posted by Dox
    thanks for confirming....
    • Africat
    • By Africat 12th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    Still getting messages from her even though she says it's not about the money (clearly it!!)
    She has a feedback score of 12 but has been on Ebay around 4 years so long enough to know how it works.
    She says she'll stick with Amazon sellers in the future where sellers are accountable for their items! (fine by me!)

I'm unsure what she's expecting me to do, says the item doesn't suit her and doesn't actually work. I've told her to get in touch with the brand manufacturer but she says I should be accountable for the item like they are on Amazon. I am not a business seller just an individual earning a bit of extra cash.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    You can't stop someone messaging you if they are determined enough. Blocking doesn't stop them.

As you've told them all you wish to, then perhaps the best advice would be to ignore any future messages.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

8,800Users online

Martin's Twitter