Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 10th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 3,956Posts
    • 23,877Thanks
    Flat Eric
    post or online - which is best?
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    post or online - which is best? 10th Feb 18 at 10:08 PM
    I've been puzzling this evening and am now ready to submit my entries for the take a break weekly mag puzzles. Now entering online means no postage or associated costs but how do the competition bods distinguish between online and postal entries? If there's only one prize then it can't be a simple case of this comp we'll pick an online entry then the next comp we'll pick a postal entry? I'm guessing a winner from online entries is generated by computer but postal entries, surely it's a first out the hat job?

Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 10th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 36,736 Posts
    • 246,078 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    I've been puzzling this evening and am now ready to submit my entries for the take a break weekly mag puzzles. Now entering online means no postage or associated costs but how do the competition bods distinguish between online and postal entries? If there's only one prize then it can't be a simple case of this comp we'll pick an online entry then the next comp we'll pick a postal entry? I'm guessing a winner from online entries is generated by computer but postal entries, surely it's a first out the hat job?
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    They are all combined before winners are selected (the postal entries are computerised).

Found a bit from an old post about the company that handled real people magazine and others in that group

The monthly entries are scanned initially and then the unique competition code for each entry is captured by our data capture team. This allows for competition entry results to be provided and each entry is placed in a unique competition pot to allow for computerized winner selection once each competition has closed.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 10-02-2018 at 10:56 PM.
    Internet goodness 24737
    • mansey
    • By mansey 10th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 14,448 Thanks
    mansey
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    They are all combined before winners are selected (the postal entries are computerised).

Found a bit from an old post about the company that handled real people magazine and others in that group
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    I never knew that
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    !!!8213; Billy Joel

"You are awful - but I do like you! - Mandy
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 11th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    • 36,736 Posts
    • 246,078 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    I never knew that
    Originally posted by mansey
    It's similar to what they do with with postcard entries to the Derby PO Boxes for ITV, C5 etc

The company that handles that lot
    We regularly capture data in any volumes from a variety of media including:... competition entries...

data capture is split across two locations, each providing connectivity and contingency for the other in the event of a major system failure....

We have the capability to process data via the traditional method of keyboard input; by scanning; through the use of automated data capture and data recognition systems
    Internet goodness 24737
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,519Posts Today

5,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin