Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mattk1uk
    • By mattk1uk 10th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 3Thanks
    mattk1uk
    Trying to access an old Tesco credit card account
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    Trying to access an old Tesco credit card account 10th Feb 18 at 9:41 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have an old Tesco credit card in default from around April 2013 which is now being managed by Cabot Financial. I believe that there is an error in what my credit report is showing and I have been in contact with Equifax to dispute this but Cabot have returned saying the information is correct.

I would therefore like to get in touch with Tesco directly and retrieve some old statements if possible so that I can verify the details. I suspect possible fraudulent use from an ex partner but I'm worried about how best to approach this without initially acknowledging the debt until I know for sure the history of the account.

I have tried logging in online as I can remember my username and password but the login page also asks for the credit card number which I obviously no longer have.

Should I just phone them up or write to them first? I have sent a message to their Facebook chat support but have not had any reply since I sent the message last week.

Any advice here would be appreciated

Thanks everyone
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 24,879 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    The obvious question to ask is --- if there was fraudulent transactions why were they not queried at the time. How do you prove now whether any transaction is genuine or not?

Having said that you can request a SAR (old ones used to cost 10 and take up to 40 days) - I have read somewhere that they now have to provide this for free (including statements of closed accounts up to 5 years) but can't find the article - something to do with new data regulations coming into force.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 10th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    You had the card, so give them a call and ask.

Not sure what would happen if you claim some transactions are fraudulent so many years after they happened... why didn't you notice at the time?

I'd hazard that they wouldn't do much about such a report years later, you'd have to rely on said partner accepting the crime.

It could simply be an error, or general administrative fee.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 17,284 Posts
    • 18,396 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    Having said that you can request a SAR (old ones used to cost 10 and take up to 40 days) - I have read somewhere that they now have to provide this for free (including statements of closed accounts up to 5 years) but can't find the article - something to do with new data regulations coming into force.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    SARs will be free from May, when GDPR comes into effect.
    • mattk1uk
    • By mattk1uk 11th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattk1uk
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    Hi everyone thank you so much for the replies

BAsically I didn't know anything of this account until I returned to the UK from living abroad and tried decided to check why I was turned down for some credit. I am trying to put things right but with the amount of time passed it is proving a little bit of a challenge to say the least.

I may contact Tesco today and see what they say. All I want to do at this stage is login and check back through statements to check. Since the account is not more than six years old yet I'm hoping I will still be able to check the statements?

Thanks again for the help here
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 11th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 19,493 Posts
    • 209,747 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    Did you never print off a single statement?

Just trying to think of how you can find the number of the card. I find it hard to believe that you do not have a single piece of paper with the card number on it somewhere, I have always printed off the statements for my own records.

One problem you may come across is that there is only easy access to a few months' worth of statements. I have never needed to go further back so I don't know if you can, it would depend on how far back in the term of your card you need to go.

In the meantime I suggest you search high and low in your paperwork in an attempt to find the card number.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 11th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    If the account has been passed to a debt collection company Tesco will have closed the account, so it's unlikely that you will be able to view statements online. You'll have to ask Tesco for paper records instead.
    • mattk1uk
    • By mattk1uk 11th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mattk1uk
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    Unfortunately no, not a single piece of paper with a number on I left behind everything.

I will phone them up and see what they say as it really bugging me now, just want to find out once and for all.

Thanks so much for the replies in here, I'm very grateful!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,093Posts Today

5,606Users online

Martin's Twitter