Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 10Thanks
    J_S_H
    Neighbours want to dig up our drive
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    Neighbours want to dig up our drive 10th Feb 18 at 8:26 PM
    Our adjoining neighbours are (have already started) building an extension on the other side of their house. The overhead electricity cable currently attaches to their house where they want to build the extension. Northern Powergrid have said they will need to disconnect the cables and sink them underground. The problem is this means that they need to sink our power cable too which means digging up our block paved drive. NP have said the work will be guaranteed for two years but we have been given no assurances that it will be put back to the original condition.

My concern is that they won!!!8217;t put the drive back to original condition and that it may sink after the work has had time to settle and we!!!8217;ll be left footing the bill to correct it. Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on what they would do in our position?
    Last edited by J_S_H; 10-02-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Page 4
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 11th Feb 18, 12:54 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    Nobody wants this in their garden!

• David Aston
    • By David Aston 11th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    David Aston
    What's with this 8217?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 24,805 Posts
    • 92,102 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What's with this 8217?
    Originally posted by David Aston
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5788856
    Last edited by Davesnave; 11-02-2018 at 2:02 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 11th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    If this has been answered already please forgive me, have you asked why your connection cannot be left as it is and the neighbours put underground or is it some sort of share connection splitting before your meters?

The way I have read this is that NP want to dig up your drive for your connection or is it that they need to go over your drive for the neighbour's connection, if it is the latter NP may have the power to force the issue.

Sorry if these questions have been answered, do not do anything that you are not happy with just because it is what your neighbour wants. I hope you sort this out in a way you are happy with.
    Originally posted by billn
    I don't completely understand the hows and whys but they are saying this is the easiest/only option.

Currently the overhead power lines attach to our neighbour's house then come in through their house to supply us - or so i'm told. NP want to dig up our drive for our connection to supply solely our house and they're doing the same for the neighbour's drive.
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 11th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    Just a thought - when you say adjoining neighbour, do you mean that you have rights under the Party Wall Act?
    Originally posted by thereRnoWords
    We are semi-detached but our drives are at the farthest side with gardens in between if that makes sense? I don't believe the Party Wall Act would apply here.
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 11th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    How deep are these cables going exactly? How wide will the trench be? Over how long a distance?
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    I believe it's going to be approximately 35 cm wide and it's the length of the drive is roughly 6m but I have no idea how deep the trench will be.

Thanks for the advice, that seems sensible that the smaller the trench the less likely it is to sink, that gives me some peace of mind!
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 11th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    When I had my new fuel line installed (admittedly it was gas not electric) they didn't need to dig up the garden, decking nor patio as they used a boring tool from a hole in the road to a position just close to where the new meter had been fitted. Have you or your neighbour suggested this to the power provider?
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    NP did briefly mention that sometimes they can drill holes but they seemed to think it more likely that they will need to dig the trench. Obviously the holes would be a much better option for us and NP as I imagine it will be cheaper but they seem to be leaning more towards the trench for whatever reason.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 24,805 Posts
    • 92,102 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I would take photographs before the work starts so there is no 'confusion' over the original condition of the drive.

If NP have said they will guarantee their reinstatement for a period of 2 years, get this in writing. Two years is plenty of time for any work-related faults to show-up on block paving.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 11th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    I would take photographs before the work starts so there is no 'confusion' over the original condition of the drive.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    This, and use a camera that date stamps photos.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 24,805 Posts
    • 92,102 Thanks
    Davesnave
    This, and use a camera that date stamps photos.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Dates are recorded in the exif data anyway, but all such dating can be manipulated.

Including the front page of a daily paper will prove it wasn't taken before the date of publication.
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Socajam
    Not sure if the work have started, but I am a great believer in getting things in writing before agreeing to anything, even more so since your neighbour is being an !!!.
    Get something drawn up legally, that driveway MUST be returned to how it was before any digging.
    If the driveway sinks after, they will bear the cost of fixing the problem and in a timely manner.
    Present it to them and give them 14 days to respond,otherwise they cannot under any circumstance carry out the work.
    The last thing you want is for something to happen, the extension is done and they do not care about your damage.
    I also agree with taking photos before and after for your records with a date stamp.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 24,919 Posts
    • 68,315 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Nobody wants this in their garden!

Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    What is that supposed to be? Most of us have cables under our gardens leading to our house with gas, electric, water and cable tv (delete as appropriate). We do not see them so it does not bother us.

That is clearly a commercial installation (in Canada) which too will disappear and have no impact upon the eventual ground surfacing. Considering the size of that building and the possible demand for electricity, one can be fairly certain that the OPs will be far less dramatic, even though that even that is not particularly dramatic either. It is all of a foot deep and wide for an entire block of buildings.

You are scaremongering again and, based on previous experience, never returning to the thread again either.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 11-02-2018 at 8:42 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 11th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    z1a
    "It is all of a foot deep and wide"

Very very poor guess, I'd say at least 2.5 feet wide and deep.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 24,919 Posts
    • 68,315 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    "It is all of a foot deep and wide"

Very very poor guess, I'd say at least 2.5 feet wide and deep.
    Originally posted by z1a

Whatever it is, it is utterly irrelevant. Those are lines running to industrial units in Canada and the post is scaremongering.

I have double checked Western Power’s requirements for a new underground supply and it is 530mm deep, 300mm wide. The risk of the OP suffering any kind of subsidence in the drive after a period of 2 years is virtually nil.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 24,805 Posts
    • 92,102 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Whatever it is, it is utterly irrelevant. Those are lines running to industrial units in Canada and the post is scaremongering.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    It was also badly thought through.

None of us wants that sort of stuff in our gardens?

Really? So we won't be wanting any gas, electricity or drains then! And will we be drawing water from our well, or from the standpipe at the end of the road?
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 14th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Just to give a brief update. NP have sent me a letter confirming that the drive will be reinstated to the exact standard that it is in now, that all work will be complete within 5 days, all work has a 2 year guarantee and if not rectified to our standard they will come back within 2 weeks to put it right. So we have agreed to go ahead with the work...fingers and toes crossed we have made the right decision!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 24,805 Posts
    • 92,102 Thanks
    Davesnave
    So we have agreed to go ahead with the work...fingers and toes crossed we have made the right decision!
    Originally posted by J_S_H
    Thank you for returning to update us.

None of us knows the priorities of NP in relation to your locality, but it looks as if they are keen to dispense with overhead lines to individual houses.

Certainly, the recent wholesale burying of overhead cables in my picturesque local town has done wonders for the look of the place. They are never pretty, and certainly not in the quantity they'd installed there over the years.
    • ROY47
    • By ROY47 14th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    ROY47
    Our adjoining neighbours are (have already started) building an extension on the other side of their house. The overhead electricity cable currently attaches to their house where they want to build the extension. Northern Powergrid have said they will need to disconnect the cables and sink them underground. The problem is this means that they need to sink our power cable too which means digging up our block paved drive. NP have said the work will be guaranteed for two years but we have been given no assurances that it will be put back to the original condition.

My concern is that they won!!!8217;t put the drive back to original condition and that it may sink after the work has had time to settle and we!!!8217;ll be left footing the bill to correct it. Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on what they would do in our position?

If your happy to have a wooden pole outside your property and cable from that pole to your property

Tell Northern Powergrid no way are you putting it underground

If it's overhead supply to next door then to your property ,then somewhere it is fed to next door via a pole

Tell northern power they can put a pole up outside or at last resort in your property and run cable to your house overhead from the pole that originally feeds next door

No need to dig up your drive and a lot cheaper for Powergrid

We do this quite often in my area

just realised you have agreed to the work being done
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 31,446 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    DCFC79

If your happy to have a wooden pole outside your property and cable from that pole to your property

Tell Northern Powergrid no way are you putting it underground

If it's overhead supply to next door then to your property ,then somewhere it is fed to next door via a pole

Tell northern power they can put a pole up outside or at last resort in your property and run cable to your house overhead from the pole that originally feeds next door

No need to dig up your drive and a lot cheaper for Powergrid

We do this quite often in my area

just realised you have agreed to the work being done
    Originally posted by ROY47

Should have quoted the post.

Anyway, the OP has decided to go ahead with the works.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • missile
    • By missile 18th Feb 18, 3:34 AM
    • 9,378 Posts
    • 4,651 Thanks
    missile
    I hope OP will come back with an update and photo(s) after the work has been completed?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,321Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin