Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 10Thanks
    J_S_H
    Neighbours want to dig up our drive
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    Neighbours want to dig up our drive 10th Feb 18 at 8:26 PM
    Our adjoining neighbours are (have already started) building an extension on the other side of their house. The overhead electricity cable currently attaches to their house where they want to build the extension. Northern Powergrid have said they will need to disconnect the cables and sink them underground. The problem is this means that they need to sink our power cable too which means digging up our block paved drive. NP have said the work will be guaranteed for two years but we have been given no assurances that it will be put back to the original condition.

My concern is that they won!!!8217;t put the drive back to original condition and that it may sink after the work has had time to settle and we!!!8217;ll be left footing the bill to correct it. Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on what they would do in our position?
    Last edited by J_S_H; 10-02-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 9,473 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    AFIK, you do not have to agree to the work and if you are concerned you could refuse?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    I have raised our concerns with the neighbour and Northern Power but she has been to speak to us today to say we are delaying the work for her extension... I feel like we!!!8217;re being pressured into having it done.

We were told the plans on 1st of Feb and told the excavation team were already booked for 19th Feb - not giving us a great deal of time.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 32,185 Posts
    • 19,344 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    Does re-routing power require planning/building regs?

Have a good look at the planning portal for the docs on this extension.

They should not have started if this needs your approval.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    z1a
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    "she has been to speak to us today to say we are delaying the work for her extension"

That alone would make me refuse permission.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 9,473 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    I would be really annoyed if my neighbour assumed they could dig up my drive without first asking my permission. I would be less concerned that I was delaying her extension.

Were you served with formal notice of the intended works?
    Do you have legal protection per your insurance?

On the other hand; Overhead wires are unsightly and it may be to your advantage to have underground power supply to your own property?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    Does re-routing power require planning/building regs?

Have a good look at the planning portal for the docs on this extension.

They should not have started if this needs your approval.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Iíve had a look and canít see anything about re-routing the power on the planning portal.

Thatís what I think too, I would never go ahead unless I knew everything was agreed to first.
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    I would be really annoyed if my neighbour assumed they could dig up my drive without first asking my permission. I would be less concerned that I was delaying her extension.

Were you served with formal notice of the intended works?
    Do you have legal protection per your insurance?

On the other hand; Overhead wires are unsightly and it may be to your advantage to have underground power supply to your own property?
    Originally posted by missile
    She mentioned it to us a while ago (months ago) but she didnít know exactly what needed doing and also mentioned another option (but now we are being told there is no other option).

No formal notice, the power grid left us a letter to call them and we Arranged to meet them at our house to discuss work but this was 1st Feb and the work was already booked in for 19th Feb.

No, we donít have legal protection.

I agree that they would look better if they were underground but not if it means we are left with a mess for a driveway.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 10th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 57,697 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    Who laid your drive? Can you get a quote from them to lift and relay and tell your neighbours you will only agree to work being completed if you receive payment upfront for dismantling and reinstating your drive.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Who laid your drive? Can you get a quote from them to lift and relay and tell your neighbours you will only agree to work being completed if you receive payment upfront for dismantling and reinstating your drive.
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    This is a good approach. Any delay to their extension while they negotiate with you is likely to cost them money so they should weigh this up against the cost of covering the works to your satisfaction.
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    This would be an ideal solution as the previous owner did the drive and I would trust him to do a good job however; the neighbour has already paid the powergrid £1,000 to have the work done and their subcontractors are booked for next Monday.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 10th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Donít allow yourself to be rushed into to decision. Obviously you need to weigh up the pros and cons and also consider good neighbourly relations but make sure youíre aware of all the implications (eg if something goes wrong or work is ever needed on the cable in the future, what happens then?)
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 9,473 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    missile
    Why not respond to NP letter, notifying them asap that you do not consent to the work.

Digging up your drive may be easiest / best / cheapest, but I doubt it is the only option. Ask NP what other options are available for YOUR approval, e.g. it may be possible to route in the garden bordering your drive?
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Feb 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    This would be an ideal solution as the previous owner did the drive and I would trust him to do a good job however; the neighbour has already paid the powergrid £1,000 to have the work done and their subcontractors are booked for next Monday.
    Originally posted by J_S_H
    Thatís their problem. Whilst you donít want to get involved in a dispute, your neighbour has been unreasonable and presumptuous. Even if they assumed youíd agree, how were they to know you wouldnít need use of the drive that day? You could be having your own work done or lots of visitors that day.

As suggested, I think you need to formally communicate with the contractor to put things on hold and put your suggestion to the neighbour with the condition that the works wonít take place until you agree. As a last resort, make sure a car(s) is parked there on the day to block any work.
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 9:53 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    Why not respond to NP letter, notifying them asap that you do not consent to the work.

Digging up your drive may be easiest / best / cheapest, but I doubt it is the only option. Ask NP what other options are available for YOUR approval, e.g. it may be possible to route in the garden bordering your drive?
    I think I will tell them that at present we do not consent and as you say, ask what other options they have. Iím sure the neighbour wonít be happy but I donít see what else I can do.

Our drive goes around the garden so they would still need to dig up part of the drive. They need to go in through our garage to the meter under the stairs so they say it has to be this way.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Our drive goes around the garden so they would still need to dig up part of the drive. They need to go in through our garage to the meter under the stairs so they say it has to be this way.
    Originally posted by J_S_H
    So this is more than just digging up the drive then? They will be going in through your garage and into your house. Did the neighbour even check you would be able to provide access on that day? Would you have to take a day off as well? How long will your power be off for?!

Your neighbours have really jumped the gun and have a damned cheek trying to pressure you into agreeing.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    • 9,473 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    missile
    So they intend to dig up your drive and garage floor?
    There is always another way. Why does the cable have to go underground?
    Good luck.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    So this is more than just digging up the drive then? They will be going in through your garage and into your house. Did the neighbour even check you would be able to provide access on that day? Would you have to take a day off as well? How long will your power be off for?!

Your neighbours have really jumped the gun and have a damned cheek trying to pressure you into agreeing.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Yep, the garage was an additional part of the work dropped on us by the powergrid. They said they would need access for a few hours so as we both work full time I asked to be compensated for a dayís pay which I thought was reasonable. They said no and asked what hours I worked so they could come after I get home at 5pm. I have a 2 year old so that wouldnít be convenient either as he needs feeding and goes to bed at 7.

They have said it wouldnít be off for long - whatever that means. They were very vague answering all of our questions which didnít fill me with confidence.
    • J_S_H
    • By J_S_H 10th Feb 18, 10:16 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    J_S_H
    So they intend to dig up your drive and garage floor?
    There is always another way. Why does the cable have to go underground?
    Good luck.
    They said they would drill a hole in our garage wall and run a cable, in trunking along the wall and then into the meter which is the other side of the garage wall and under our stairs.

Iím going to ask them for direct response to that in writing so they canít fob me off.

Thank you, I have a feeling Iíll need it!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    I think you know what to do. I hope it doesn!!!8217;t turn into a neighbourly dispute and hopefully your neighbour will realise they!!!8217;ve been ridiculously presumptuous and agree to a deferment until you can work out a mutually agreed solution and date for the work. It sounds like there!!!8217;s an advantage to you of having the works done, but not with the disruption, risk and hassle proposed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,901Users online

Martin's Twitter