Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pritchah
    • By pritchah 10th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    pritchah
    Accidental payment to mystery account
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    Accidental payment to mystery account 10th Feb 18 at 8:22 PM
    Through the Faster Payments service I accidentally transferred 90 from my Lloyds account to a Barclays account belonging to someone else.

When I discovered the error, I contacted Lloyds and we worked through the process advertised on the FPS site.

Lloyds contacted Barclays and then told me the latter couldn't help. We know where the payment has gone but think the account holder has spent it, which he shouldn't have.

Barclays local manager identified the account, so it does exist.

The Barclays account holder (I suspect is a corporate account) is being very uncooperative.

I think I might have to take legal action. Can the forum give advice on a) would it be worth it for 90, and b)how would I go about it?
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 4,071 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    In theory the Barclays account holder who kept/spent the money is guilty of theft if they knew that the money hadn't been intended for them. Perhaps not so easy with such a small amount and a company account? If you want to pursue this, then you may be asked to prove that you didn't mean to pay the money to this company in the first place.

Think about it - if it were possible to pay a bill by bank transfer then tell the bank 'hey - I made a mistake - give me my money back' - then a lot of dubious bods would be trying it on.

Other than asking Lloyds/Barclays to pass on a letter the the receiving company, explaining your error and requesting a refund, then I fear that you may need to write this off to experience.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 10-02-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 24,870 Posts
    • 12,055 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    If it was a corporate customer don't you think it would have been returned to you as presumably they would have no idea who sent the money or why?
    IMO it's a scroat who jumped in joy at getting free money and does not care about the consequences.

There is a legal way you can apply for to get Barclays to give you the name and address for the account but it will cost you a lot more than 90 and I guarantee you if you proceed there will be no money to be recovered in the end.

Harsh words but you have to write this off.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • pritchah
    • By pritchah 10th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pritchah
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    There was actually a customer reference on the payment which would have identified me to the recipient. That's why i think it is a corporate account.

I had paid 2.50 to the same account about two years ago, but I'm blowed if i can remember what it is.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 11th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    If you've sent the money to a random account then the customer reference number will mean nothing to the recipient. They may not even have noticed it. Not everyone checks their bank accounts and they may have missed it entirely.

It's more than likely a private individual who spent the money before they even knew it was there. in the scheme of things 90 is a small amount and could be overlooked until the bank came calling.
    • bowb
    • By bowb 11th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    bowb
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    I had this problem once. I went through the motion of asking my bank to ask his bank to return the money. After 21 days I had a letter from the second bank to say that the recipient had not responded to any of there letters so can't refund your money. It seems that the recipient has to give his bank permission to return your money.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 11th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    So this wasn't a mistake with the account number, it was a previous recipient who you selected in error?

You obviously use online banking. Can't you go back and see who this payment of 2.50 went to and find out where this 90 has gone now?
    Last edited by seashore22; 11-02-2018 at 9:47 AM.
    • pritchah
    • By pritchah 11th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pritchah
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    The details for the 2.50 payment are the same as for the 90 one. I have sort code, account number and my customer ref.

Unfortunately I put the wrong label on the payment, if you see what I mean
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 11th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    The details for the 2.50 payment are the same as for the 90 one. I have sort code, account number and my customer ref.

Unfortunately I put the wrong label on the payment, if you see what I mean
    Originally posted by pritchah
    If you've got their bank details stored and recalled how can you not know who it is you paid?
    • pritchah
    • By pritchah 11th Feb 18, 12:48 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pritchah
    I labelled the payment wrongly in my list of payees on the Lloyds site . I thought I was transferring money to my regular everyday account but it's gone somewhere else. The 2.50 payment was a couple of years ago.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 11th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 24,870 Posts
    • 12,055 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    There was actually a customer reference on the payment which would have identified me to the recipient. That's why i think it is a corporate account.

I had paid 2.50 to the same account about two years ago, but I'm blowed if i can remember what it is.
    If you look back on your statements and find the transaction will it not tell you who you paid?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 11th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Through the Faster Payments service I accidentally transferred 90 from my Lloyds account to a Barclays account belonging to someone else.

When I discovered the error, I contacted Lloyds and we worked through the process advertised on the FPS site.

Lloyds contacted Barclays and then told me the latter couldn't help. We know where the payment has gone but think the account holder has spent it, which he shouldn't have.

Barclays local manager identified the account, so it does exist.

The Barclays account holder (I suspect is a corporate account) is being very uncooperative.

I think I might have to take legal action. Can the forum give advice on a) would it be worth it for 90, and b)how would I go about it?
    Refer to the industry-wide code of best practice which has been agreed by most U.K. banks. Basically if the recipient agrees or rather doesn't disagree with the money being returned then it should be returned within 20 days. Note this is a voluntary code of best practice and not a requirement in law. First step is your own bank from which the payment was sent. If they don't do anything or indeed you disagree with what they have done then it's a cause for complaint.
    https://www.moneyexpert.com/current-account/reclaiming-misdirected-payments/
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 11th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    I had this problem once. I went through the motion of asking my bank to ask his bank to return the money. After 21 days I had a letter from the second bank to say that the recipient had not responded to any of there letters so can't refund your money. It seems that the recipient has to give his bank permission to return your money.
    Originally posted by bowb

That is exactly what happens...when it happend to us,our bank did say if we refuse to give details then there was nothing they could or would do (our bank for reference was Barclays).

Then the sender has to go down a legal route which would then get very expensive and very time consuming.
    Last edited by Samsung_Note2; 11-02-2018 at 6:43 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • bowb
    • By bowb 11th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    bowb
    That is exactly what happens...when it happens to us,our bank did say if we refuse to give details then there was nothing they could or would do (our bank for reference was Barclays).

Then the sender has to go down a legal route which would then get very expensive and very time consuming.

I went down the legal route to recover money from a company. It wasn't to difficult using the online small claims court. There are a few rules to follow and a fee to pay. In my case I claimed 800 and the fee was 60. So I claimed all the 860 from the company. So it can be done easy .
    IF THE CLAIM IS SIMPLE AND STRAIGHTFORWARD.
    Last edited by bowb; 11-02-2018 at 4:50 PM.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 11th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    That is exactly what happens...when it happens to us,our bank did say if we refuse to give details then there was nothing they could or would do (our bank for reference was Barclays).

I went down the legal route to recover money from a company. It wasn't to difficult using the online small claims court. There are a few rules to follow and a fee to pay. In my case I claimed 800 and the fee was 60. So I claimed all the 860 from the company. So it can be done easy .
    IF THE CLAIM IS SIMPLE AND STRAIGHTFORWARD.
    Originally posted by bowb
    Can only speak from experience and the sum was just shy of 18k and from a large organisation...they seemed to feel it would be long winded and costly.

We saved them both time and money as was honest..as most would have been.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 2nd Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 2,899 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Refer to the industry-wide code of best practice which has been agreed by most U.K. banks. Basically if the recipient agrees or rather doesn't disagree with the money being returned then it should be returned within 20 days. Note this is a voluntary code of best practice and not a requirement in law. First step is your own bank from which the payment was sent. If they don't do anything or indeed you disagree with what they have done then it's a cause for complaint.
    https://www.moneyexpert.com/current-account/reclaiming-misdirected-payments/
    Originally posted by Anthorn

It doesn't pay to be honest.

After some time has past, and a second payment received into my account (from an unknown person) I though I would be honest and ring my bank, to have the payments reversed out.

Their response was to raise a form and block my account so they could be investigated. No payments would be able to go in or out of my account. (apparently my wages would be ok).

If I wanted any money out I would need to goto my branch with ID, prove it was me.

I declined to go ahead! This account is my main account with lots of DD's. I don't want them stopped and a bad credit history!
    • CavendishWobble
    • By CavendishWobble 2nd Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    CavendishWobble
    This is a payment in error.

For payments in error unfortunately you need the recipients permission to get the money back. A request/form is filled out and sent to the recipients bank for them to try and gain permission. If they decline this then you would need to go down the legal route.

Not ideal however, for example this is in place to stop payments from being made, goods then exchanged and then the party that paid then taking the money back.
    Save 12k in 2018 = 8,747/15,000 (58.31%) #36
    Virtual Sealed Pot = 132.57/200 #11
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 #19
    1 a Day Challenge = 352.18/668

Starting: Jan'17: 33,729
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,760Users online

Martin's Twitter