Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • macamboy
    • By macamboy 10th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    macamboy
    POPLA Appeal Advice
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    POPLA Appeal Advice 10th Feb 18 at 5:41 PM
    Hi,

I recieved a parking ticket from ParkingEye which I've appealed against and lost.

I'm now considering going through POPLA, but would like some advice please.

Without going through the mitigation, which I know POPLA won't consider, the facts are -

1) I entered the grounds of a pay to park local hospital and left 30 minutes later.
    2) I parked in a drop off / pick up zone which apparently had a 20 minute stay duration (the signs weren't very good but, ParkingEye say were adequate).

I believe ParkingEye have to give a grace period of at least 10 minutes when it's relying on ANPR camera photos.

Has anyone come across this before, as I was intending to appeal on this point.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by macamboy; 10-02-2018 at 5:42 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,284 Thanks
    waamo
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    Grace periods will often win at POPLA but you really shouldn't go with just a single point, it a bit risky.

Why not use the templates on here?

You can find more details here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    This space for hire.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,979 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    MPs specifally slated hospital car park scams in the HOC last week, watch the video here

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

then complain in the stringest of terems to your MP. Read this as well. Perhaps to can quote some of it in your PoPLA appeal

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles
    Last edited by The Deep; 10-02-2018 at 7:56 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 35,602 Posts
    • 19,818 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    @OP

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving.

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 57,473 Posts
    • 71,054 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    Must have taken you more than 5 minutes to weave through the entrance roads to that drop off point, and again at the end. Grace periods are certainly worth mentioning, is this Barnet hospital, look:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/parkingeye-lose-in-court-accuse-drivers.html

Pretty sure the signs allow up to 20 minutes stay/parking AT THE DROP OFF AREA. Therefore you have to have grace periods to drive in and out, you can't teleport there, not even in ParkingEye's la-la land.

A POPLA appeal needs all the usual points as well, from post #3 of the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• macamboy
    • By macamboy 11th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    macamboy
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    Thanks all for the advice so far.

I don't even recall who was driving as both myself and my wife tend to take turns depending on where we are going.

What's worse is that I also don't recall if I mentioned who may have been driving on the original appeal (I know, schoolboy error).

Are we saying an appeal to POPLA is a no go if I stated in the original appeal who I thought was driving?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 17,579 Posts
    • 27,800 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    Are we saying an appeal to POPLA is a no go if I stated in the original appeal who I thought was driving?
    Absolutely not! If the driver has been identified it takes away the Protection the keeper had under PoFA. But there are other POPLA points like signage, landowner authority, Grace Periods which all come potentially into play. Identifying the driver is not fatal to the case.

But your best bet (as for everyone) is to get the landowner (hospital trust or PALS) to tell PE to cancel it.

Plenty to go at.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,284 Thanks
    waamo
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    It's still ok but it just removes an appeal point. You should win on other points but it's much more satisfying to make a ppc try and justify every single point.
    This space for hire.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 35,602 Posts
    • 19,818 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    Thanks all for the advice so far.

I don't even recall who was driving as both myself and my wife tend to take turns depending on where we are going.

What's worse is that I also don't recall if I mentioned who may have been driving on the original appeal (I know, schoolboy error).

Originally posted by macamboy
    Why not assume you didn't at this stage and follow the advice given in #4?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 7,209 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    KeithP
    Originally posted by macamboy
    The real schoolboy error is not keeping any record of what you might have said in the original appeal.

At least from now on try and keep records of everything received and sent.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 57,473 Posts
    • 71,054 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Why do people think that they are doomed if they named the driver, when POPLA appeals normally win on completely different standard things, like lack of landowner authority, and dodgy signs, and 'no grace period to drive in and out of a large site' (like in your case).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin