Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 10th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 7,376Posts
    • 64,992Thanks
    mimi1234
    Missing Item - eBay
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    Missing Item - eBay 10th Feb 18 at 5:38 PM
    So I will try and keep this brief as I know I do rattle on a bit sometimes.

Had 6 tubes of face cream, put them on eBay as buy it now as a set of 3 twice. Each tube weighs roughly 35g.

Sold 3 on 08/02/2018 and posted that day. Sent signed for large letter in a bubble wrap envelope and weight was 121g. Items received next day and positive feedback left.

Sold 3 on 09/02/2018 and again posted that day. Sent signed for large letter in a bubble wrap envelope and weight was 120g. Message from buyer today saying only 2 tubes received instead of 3 and can I refund her immediately or send her another one.

I replied back with an apology and asked if the large letter was damaged at all to which she said no and to just refund her for the 3rd item which was not received.

I know I sent 3 in each large letter. My nephew did the packing with me and he was counting them out - "1 pink tube, 2 pink tube, 3 pink tube".

I've searched the whole house and can't find the tube. I know I sent them all. Had I have only sent 2 the second time I posted out, the weight would have been well under 100g.

What do I do now? I don't refund her do I or do I?
Page 2
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 11th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 6,965 Posts
    • 30,787 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    But they still get free goods - the 'missing' tube. Asking for the other 2 tubes to be returned means the seller has the cost of arranging a return + the hassle of reselling. Much better to get the buyer to open a case and then OP can cut her losses by giving a partial refund as the buyer has requested, and write it down to experience. Don't let yourself get carried away on a tide of indignation and outrage!
    Originally posted by Dox
    i am a top rated seller with 16,000+ feedback, all positive and am not carried away with indignation

The seller is certain that the buyer is lying and there is no way she should offer a partial refund. Yes, the items are low value but I recently had someone claim something was missing on a 150 item and wanted a partial refund. I knew the item was there so called their bluff and asked them to return. Never hear anything else

Give in and issue a partial refund and this buyer will try it on again and again. Raising a return request will make the buyer think twice and put them onto ebays radar.
    Last edited by charlies_mum; 11-02-2018 at 6:23 PM.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 11th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 64,992 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Was the face cream expensive?
    Originally posted by greedbay
    The tubes I sold were given as free gifts for purchases I made. The cream sold in 50ml jars is about 50. I sold the 3 x 30ml for 30.

I've messaged the lady and asked her to open a case and she has gone silent. There was a huge flurry of messages last night asking for a partial refund but I didn't respond to those.
    • Zandy_23
    • By Zandy_23 11th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Zandy_23
    It's clear you've been scammed. better be careful next time as these kinds of people are everywhere doing this to a lot of sellers and vise versa.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 11th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 64,992 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Message just received:

I am travelling this coming week and cant be asked with the flaff...eitherr refund me for the 1 or send me a replacement pls.

I think I'll just leave it for now and see what she does next.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 60,152 Posts
    • 42,784 Thanks
    soolin
    Message just received:

I am travelling this coming week and cant be asked with the flaff...eitherr refund me for the 1 or send me a replacement pls.

I think I'll just leave it for now and see what she does next.
    Originally posted by mimi1234
    I'd now ignore and wait for what she does next or phone eBay and report her , eBay don't like buyers who refuse to open cases.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Dox
    • By Dox 11th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Dox
    I think you are misunderstanding the depth of feeling that sellers have about being scammed .
    Originally posted by soolin
    Not at all - I'd feel just as strongly! I hate scammers and fraudsters with a passion.

I do think there is a tendency when emotions are running high to lose sight of the end goal which, for a sensible seller, is to keep their profit to a maximum and their grief to a minimum. Insisting they open a case then 'puts them on ebay's radar' as another poster has commented.
    Last edited by Dox; 11-02-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    greedbay
    Since the buyer is being a pain in the proverbial and the cream wasn't exactly cheap, probably go with the advice of demand a return, especially as the buyer is being difficult.

Problem with ebay is it is so easy to set up a new account and protection always sides on the buyers no matter how dodgy they appear, I have no doubt this scammer will be back under a new guise when he is eventually kicked off ebay.

Similar things have happened to me, 'new' users who know exactly how to exploit the buyer protection.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 12th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 15,668 Posts
    • 21,487 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    She is quite clearly trying to pull a fast one.

You have already asked her to open a case and return everything so don't bother replying to any more messages. Just wait and see what happens.

I bet she goes quiet... (or she might just leave a neg out of spite as her scam failed, but you can just reply calmly to it stating full refund offered upon return...)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 8,215 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Opening a case is 100% the correct way to do things. Whether you then chose to hold out for a return or refund partially is up to the individual seller and not something any of us can decide is best for someone else.

Cases do have a tendency to chase off some chances. The determined will always get through and sometimes making that as hard as possible is the best way. Sometimes it's not.
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 12th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    Of course they are! Tell them you don't mind waiting until they have the time free to do the return. Once they realise they're not going to get their free money you won't hear from them again, and eBay will see that you're trying to do it all by the book, which is exactly how they like it.
    It might be worth reporting the buyer to eBay for unreasonable demands, so at least they have a record
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/handle-problems.html
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 12th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 64,992 Thanks
    mimi1234
    How do folks who have business eBay accounts fare? This woman right gave me the willies when I first got her messages, but now I can see she was just trying it on.

I will contact eBay on my day off and report her. When I chatted to them, they said if I told the buyer to open a case, she would probably go quiet, which is what most of what you folks said also.

I won't be replying to any more of her messages. Let's see if she opens a case or not!

PS. She had a brand new account with 0 feedback. She could technically have loads of these. Will she ever get caught out?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 8,215 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    How do folks who have business eBay accounts fare?
    I guess we get a bit hardened to it. That's not to say you don't doubt yourself sometimes, we are all human.

Like some on here I would get the buyer to open a case and personally would take the most cost effective remedy. If that meant no return, then so be it. But if it mean paying x in postage to get y back but I was still up by z, then that's the option I would take. Unless the partial refund of a was less.

As a business, you write these "losses" into your business model, much like Sainsbury's expect a certain amount of shoplifting......sad though it is.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 12th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    I think as a business seller it is easier to call peoples bluff and take a bigger hit on return postage if they do actually return the item they obviously want a partial refund on. As a sole trader it is easier to have your business lose a few quid than it come out of your pocket even if it is coming out your pocket. If that makes sense.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 14th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 6,965 Posts
    • 30,787 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    I had a message yesterday regarding a Valentines Day related item that was posted on 5th Feb

"Hi, not received and it's too late now so can I get a refund". Replied asking them to open a case as a straight refund will get me a defect.

No response.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • This Year
    • By This Year 14th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 5,276 Thanks
    This Year
    Yes, I find that requesting the buyer open a case usually means that I hear no more from them.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 15th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 64,992 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Shouty message received today along the lines of "why have you not sent me a replacement and why have you not given me a refund".

I've replied and said open a case, return received items as they were sent (foil wrapped tubes) and bubble wrap envelope and we will take it from there.

I expect another shouty message.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 8,215 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Shouty message received today along the lines of "why have you not sent me a replacement and why have you not given me a refund".

I've replied and said open a case, return received items as they were sent (foil wrapped tubes) and bubble wrap envelope and we will take it from there.

I expect another shouty message.
    I wouldn't reply now until a case is opened. Pointless keep saying the same thing.
    • tomvox
    • By tomvox 15th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    tomvox
    I wouldn't reply now until a case is opened. Pointless keep saying the same thing.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    And send copies of the shouty messages to Ebay. Scammers having their card marked is never a bad thing.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 17th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 64,992 Thanks
    mimi1234
    And send copies of the shouty messages to Ebay. Scammers having their card marked is never a bad thing.
    Originally posted by tomvox
    I've had a few more shouty messages:

WHO SAID YOU CAN'T GIVE ME A REFUND?

Y DO I HAVE TO OPEN A CASE!!!!

I've not responded to either and have reported her to eBay. I'm also going to get them to call me so I can explain everything in case they didn't understand what I had explained.

Thanks for all your help folks. This time last week I was tempted to give in and just refund her for one even though I am 100% sure I sent her 3. I am so glad I didn't.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 17th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 10,931 Posts
    • 23,509 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I've had a few more shouty messages:

WHO SAID YOU CAN'T GIVE ME A REFUND?

Y DO I HAVE TO OPEN A CASE!!!!

I've not responded to either and have reported her to eBay. I'm also going to get them to call me so I can explain everything in case they didn't understand what I had explained.

Thanks for all your help folks. This time last week I was tempted to give in and just refund her for one even though I am 100% sure I sent her 3. I am so glad I didn't.

Well done for not giving in.

I only wish more people stood up to these scammers and they might think twice next time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,533Posts Today

5,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin