Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 10th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 709Posts
    • 291Thanks
    The Palmist
    EA doesn't like us speaking directly with Vendors
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    EA doesn't like us speaking directly with Vendors 10th Feb 18 at 5:32 PM
    Exactly a week ago we had (or thought) an offer accepted, it was basically the asking price with a few bits of furniture thrown in. EA stressed that they need to see AIP, ID and Proof of Deposit.

Part of deposit if from my parents who are abroad.

Within a week we had engaged a solicitor, confirmed Santander to progress with mortgage and got EAs around for rental evaluation for our current home.

The vendors have been really nice and we have kept in touch over email, they were happy to answer any queries and usually reply promptly.

The EA called me today to say that I shouldn't be going ahead with survey as they haven't formally agreed to sell the property to me and they have another viewing today. They said they will not take it off market till they see funds for deposit, I explained that it will take a week or so for international transfer but they are happy to accept copies of parents account, I then sent them copies of account where the money is and they said they will continue with the viewing today and follow up on Monday.

I see the point of doing so and on Monday I am thinking of firmly asking for the property to be off market, will that be an acceptable thing to do?

Also the EA mentioned few times that I should not be emailing vendors as they are busy or going to hospital etc. which got me thinking that maybe there is something going on. The vendors were the ones to exchange email address and have never indicated any concern with us speaking directly. I wanted to say that email communication is the least invasive and the vendors are under no obligation to reply but my good nature stopped me from doing so.

House buying is rather stressful so I accept if I am just being paranoid.

Last week the EA mentioned that there has been two other offers but both buyers had property to sell before they could proceed.

We are in a good position to proceed and the next best buyer will be a cash buyer , even with international money transfer we will still be quicker than anyone who has a house to sell.

Have I annoyed EA by communicating direct with vendors.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
Page 2
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    EA have obligations based on gov law, thats what you signed up for like it or not.
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    Could you point me to the piece of legislation that says a property must be marked as sstc, after offer acceptance, by law?

flaming anarchist
    • Freecall
    • By Freecall 12th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    Freecall
    EAs are employed by the seller, from whom they take their instructions.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Wow! How does that make Surrey_EA a....

flaming anarchist.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    PhilE
    Could you point me to the piece of legislation that says a property must be marked as sstc, after offer acceptance, by law?

As a buyer, I give instructions to the EA and vendor to list the property as 'sold, subject to contract.' Thats the deal, and if you don't like it I take my money somewhere else.

I'm not spending money on surveys and conveyancing if the EA is still listing the property as available. I don't tolerate my time and money being wasted, obviously if I've got a surveyor and solicitor on the case I'm serious about buying.

If the EA and vendor cant extend the simple courtesy of taking the house of the market, they can get stuffed.

Every time I've told a wide boy/girl EA this, they've complied.

Remember, EA's like to think they run the property market. They don't run anything, and when they overstep the mark put them in their place. If you want to invest in property, you need to know this.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    As a buyer, I give instructions to the EA and vendor to list the property as 'sold, subject to contract.' Thats the deal, and if you don't like it I take my money somewhere else.

I'm not spending money on surveys and conveyancing if the EA is still listing the property as available. I don't tolerate my time and money being wasted, obviously if I've got a surveyor and solicitor on the case I'm serious about buying.

If the EA and vendor cant extend the simple courtesy of taking the house of the market, they can get stuffed.

Every time I've told a wide boy/girl EA this, they've complied.

Remember, EA's like to think they run the property market. They don't run anything, and when they overstep the mark put them in their place. If you want to invest in property, you need to know this.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    As it happens I completely agree that if a seller has agreed to accept an offer for their property from a buyer, and that buyer is proceedable, and the basic terms of the transaction have been agreed upon, then the property should not be available for any further viewings with alternative buyers, and the advert should be marked as 'sstc or u/o.'

I suspect there are few EAs who disagree. Quite frankly, if an offer has been accepted and a sale agreed, why on earth do I want to waste my time, complicate my day and cause further aggravation by continuing to show other people around? Makes no sense, I've got better things to be doing, other properties to try and sell instead.

Feel free to make your demands, but do remember it's the seller who you need to convince.

You've made clear before that you feel aggrieved with your previous experience of a property transaction, but try not to let it cloud your judgement too much, and tar everyone with the same brush.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 12th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111

Could you point me to where i said the property must be marked as sstc by law after offer accepted?

I said EA has obligations by law, One obligation is... the agent must not conceal, misrepresent, withhold or delay communicating offers. If a buyer has made the offer with contingency are you saying the contingencies aren't part of the offer?
    Last edited by PokerPlayer111; 12-02-2018 at 3:49 PM.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    Yes, but the point remains: what recourse do you practically have if you find out that an EA is still showing the property to other potential buyers, even after listing it as sold STC? None, methinks, other than withdrawing your offer and telling them to get lost.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    PhilE

Feel free to make your demands, but do remember it's the seller who you need to convince.
    Made my terms clear when buying two properties in the last 3 years. Both properties purchased.

Remember, its the buyer who has the money.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Feb 18, 9:00 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    PhilE
    One EA continued to advertise my house as for sale, after I had purchased and was living in it. Had to walk in his office, point at the ad of my house and tell him that this was my property, and it wasn't for sale.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Feb 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Yes, but the point remains: what recourse do you practically have if you find out that an EA is still showing the property to other potential buyers, even after listing it as sold STC? None, methinks, other than withdrawing your offer and telling them to get lost.
    Originally posted by SouthLondonUser
    Pretty much.

However, further to my earlier post, why do you think an EA is interested in continuing to show a house to other potential buyers when a sale has already been arranged? As far as most EAs are concerned the job is done, now time to concentrate on houses that have yet to find buyers.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 13th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    What the EA is interested in wont always match the EAs legal obligations to buyer/seller.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 58,462 Posts
    • 51,837 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    What the EA is interested in wont always match the EAs legal obligations to buyer/seller.
    What legal obligations are you refering too?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 13th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    What legal obligations are you refering too?
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    If a buyer has made an offer with contingencies its legally part of the offer.

The agent must not conceal, misrepresent, withhold or delay communicating offers.
    https://www.tpos.co.uk/consumers/advice-for-consumers/sales/sales-faq#offers
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 58,462 Posts
    • 51,837 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    If a buyer has made an offer with contingencies its legally part of the offer.

The agent must not conceal, misrepresent, withhold or delay communicating offers.
    https://www.tpos.co.uk/consumers/advice-for-consumers/sales/sales-faq#offers
    Is that all. Thought there was something further.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 13th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Obviously that might be all you need to put EAs in their place
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,248Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin