Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlebw
    • By littlebw 10th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 4Thanks
    littlebw
    Very vague question r/e emigrating
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    Very vague question r/e emigrating 10th Feb 18 at 5:29 PM
    Im 54 and and suffer from ankolosing spondilitus and a wife of 48

The cold damp weather here cripples me

Im just starting to think maybe i should just emigrate to warmer climates ( spain / cyprus)

I will have a full government pension in 13 years plus i get 100 a month pension now due to ill health

I dont have anything else but my house is fully paid and will be worth 250,000

What sort of return could i get on that monthly?

We dont smoke or drink, in fact im stuck in every day except when weathers nice then ill sit in garden

I would rather have say 20 years living in the sun ( I would come back to the UK if health really deteriates) and less pain then worry when the money runs out but wife is hesitant

Am i being silly?
Page 1
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 10th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,024 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    First thing I'd worry about would be what rights of abode you might, or might not, have in continental Europe after Brexit.

Current rules and freedoms - of residence and financial types - are almost certainly going to change.

The changes are probably not, for would be ex-pat Brits, going to be for the better.

Impossible to predict anything at the moment unfortunately - but perhaps the most important thing to consider.
    • TARDIS
    • By TARDIS 11th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    TARDIS
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    Im 54 and and suffer from ankolosing spondilitus and a wife of 48

The cold damp weather here cripples me

Im just starting to think maybe i should just emigrate to warmer climates ( spain / cyprus)

I will have a full government pension in 13 years plus i get 100 a month pension now due to ill health

I dont have anything else but my house is fully paid and will be worth 250,000

What sort of return could i get on that monthly?

We dont smoke or drink, in fact im stuck in every day except when weathers nice then ill sit in garden

I would rather have say 20 years living in the sun ( I would come back to the UK if health really deteriates) and less pain then worry when the money runs out but wife is hesitant

Am i being silly?
    Originally posted by littlebw
    You might want to edit your first sentence if you show your wife this thread

To be honest I think you're being short sighted if you don't want to consider what if the money runs out. You also need to consider what health cover you'll get abroad which may be uncertain with brexit. Do you have plans for learning the language, how you and your wife will manage the cultural change etc?

Leaving aside potential ethical considerations of coming back to UK when your health deteriorates and you run out of money, how are you going to afford to live here if you have no house and no money? You can't rely on the current benefits system not changing by then (and I don't for a minute think it's fun relying on benefits at the moment).
    I can see why your wife might be hesitant.

Are there any other treatments for ank spond you could be considered for if your pain is stopping you leaving the house perhaps?
    • atush
    • By atush 11th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 16,709 Posts
    • 10,412 Thanks
    atush
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    could you ove away for 4 months a year uring the worst of it?

Surely the summers here are better for you?
    • littlebw
    • By littlebw 11th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    littlebw
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    Thanks for the replies , yea thinking of doing so long in the uk and so long abroad

like i say its early days and just researching everything and every post helps
    • atush
    • By atush 11th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 16,709 Posts
    • 10,412 Thanks
    atush
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    the biggest thing will be the medical for when you are abroad.
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 11th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    capital0ne
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    Four months abroad may be the way to go, Cyprus in winter can be just as cold as here with short days, they put their clocks back as well. But as everything shuts down in winter there may be apartments available quite cheaply for the winter months.

I would check out some of the resorts, maybe a travel agent could help.

But it does get cold, you can go skiing up Mt Olympus and swim in the Med an hour later.

Good luck
    • IanSt
    • By IanSt 12th Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    IanSt
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    Some questions you may want to consider:

Will you have enough money to keep a house in the UK and a buy/rent a place abroad as well, and would your wife move with you or would she stay working in the UK?

If you decide to move across full-time then I assume your wife would also move across with you, so sorry for being blunt here, but have you considered what would happen on your death? Not just in terms of whether she's likely to want to move back, but also what money would she have to live on.

For example - depending on where you live now and where you move to, then it could be difficult to move back if you're living in a 3 bed detached now and move to a flat and live off the money released.

Then there is the pension situation. Presumably your wife would get 1/2 or so of your pension, but will that be enough for her to comfortably live on? She'll presumably have some pension of her own already built up, but how much is that going to be and how much can she build up over the next 20 odd years?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 16,400 Posts
    • 41,449 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    If you're planning to move permanently you also need to take the habitual residence test into account.
    I've seen posts in various places where British citizens returning from abroad when the money runs out/they want to access free health care expect to be housed and get benefits then get a huge shock when they have difficulties.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin