Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Swamp dweller
    • By Swamp dweller 10th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Swamp dweller
    Car accident not at fault
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    Car accident not at fault 10th Feb 18 at 2:33 PM
    I was involved in an accident where the other driver claimed they were at fault. It was only a minor crash and on my car is only minor body work (I assume anyway) to a door and panel. We exchanged details and contacted our respective insurance companies. My company will arrange to provide me with a car and to get the work done.

Earlier today I have received a phone call from his insurance company saying he has admitted fault and can match my companies offer of work and car, but will also give me 100. I declined as I don't think that is enough for the hassle and security I would have going through my insurance. I'm wandering if anyone else has had this before and do they generally increase the offer or is it safer to stay to let my insurance handle it all?
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    You should have taken their offer.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 10,844 Posts
    • 7,677 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    So what you're saying is not only do you want the car fixed, as is your right, but you want them to stump up compensation as well. Get over yourself.

It generally is the better idea to claim directly from the TP insurer rather than via your own, you don't pay excess to begin with, and this is the first time I've heard a TP insurer offering a cash inducement to do so. Take the 100 and get your car sorted at a bodyshop of your choosing and get a replacement car to suit.
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 10th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    Indeed - going through your own insurance here only increases the overall cost for everyone.

In a clear-cut case of the other person's fault, for anyone who dislikes the high cost of insurance in general, the logical way forward is to claim from the at-fault party's insurance.
    • Swamp dweller
    • By Swamp dweller 10th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swamp dweller
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry neilmcl I seemed to have offended you... I was curious as I have not been through this before. They have offered the cash I was wandering if it was a common situation and what the companies offer.
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 10th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    ukmike
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    I was wandering
    Stop wandering & start wondering.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter