Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,153Posts
    • 551Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    eBay returns.
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    eBay returns. 10th Feb 18 at 1:53 PM
    I need to return a damaged item I recieved yesterday. The return address on the package is in Manchester.

I have started an eBay return and the sellers return address is in China.

Whatís the best way to proceed with this?
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    Open the return and if by the 8th day you haven't had a prepaid label for it's return, or a refund without return, ask eBay to step in.

Do not post to either address unless it appears in the returns case. Ideally the seller will accept the return and provide a valid address and prepaid label for you to return the item. At the moment you have no idea where the item needs to go.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    I have opened a return, but not recieved a returns label yet although the seller has given an address in China.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 60,178 Posts
    • 42,813 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    I have opened a return, but not recieved a returns label yet although the seller has given an address in China.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Is it a change of mind return or a significantly not as described claim?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    Is it a change of mind return or a significantly not as described claim?
    Originally posted by soolin
    As per the OP, itís damaged.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 60,178 Posts
    • 42,813 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    As per the OP, itís damaged.
    Sorry I missed that, in that case it's as per theonlywayisup, wait for ebay to force the seller to provide a tracked label,
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    Yes, keep asking the seller until he provides a prepaid trackable label. If he doesn't do this by day 8 (to the minute) you can ask eBay to step in. They will either give you a tracked label, or tell you to keep the item and refund in full. But you won't know until it gets to that stage.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    My issue is if it is the address in China is it tracked?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    My issue is if it is the address in China is it tracked?
    You don't have an issue until the seller provides a label. Then you can see if they want it sending to China or not. Ultimately eBay will not allow the seller to misrepresent the item's location. If it was given as China then they are allowed to ask you to return it there, albeit, under eBay T&C that will be at their cost. Wait for the label.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 12th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    So the seller has accepted the return and eBay are asking how I returned it, however I don!!!8217;t have a returns label.

Is it now just a case of waiting for the label or 7 days for eBay to step in?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    So the seller has accepted the return and eBay are asking how I returned it, however I don!!!8217;t have a returns label.

Is it now just a case of waiting for the label or 7 days for eBay to step in?
    Because that is how cases work.

The seller has 8 days to accept the return. In that time they have to provide a prepaid returns label. eBay systems will assume that has happened if the seller tells them it has.

On day 8 you can dispute the label has been given (double check on the case to make sure you don't have it) and eBay will step in. They will rule in your favour and either give you a returns label themselves or give you a refund without return.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Feb 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    The status of the return still states.

We'll send you an email when the seller responds to your request. If you're not able to agree on a solution or the seller has not responded by 17 Feb, 2018, you can ask us to step in and help.

Do I have to wait until tomorrow or will eBay do something today?
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 17th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Brynsam
    ' If you're not able to agree on a solution or the seller has not responded by 17 Feb, 2018, you can ask us to step in and help.'

Today is 17 February, so ask ebay to step in and help.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    ' If you're not able to agree on a solution or the seller has not responded by 17 Feb, 2018, you can ask us to step in and help.'

Today is 17 February, so ask ebay to step in and help.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    How do I do that?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 60,178 Posts
    • 42,813 Thanks
    soolin
    How do I do that?
    You may find the option appears once you get to the exact time that you opened the case.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    You may find the option appears once you get to the exact time that you opened the case.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Itís now several hours past the time and the return status is still the same.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 17th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 6,557 Thanks
    janb5
    In that case you could always telephone Customer Services.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 18th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    eBay refund me this morning, am I ok to dispose of the damaged item?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 18th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Do eBay recover their costs from the seller?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 18th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    eBay refund me this morning, am I ok to dispose of the damaged item?
    In eBayland everything is fine. In legal terms and if the seller is within the UK for trading purposes, they can ask you for the item back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin