Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pugster
    • By Pugster 10th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Pugster
    Insurers that cover panoramic roofs under glass
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    Insurers that cover panoramic roofs under glass 10th Feb 18 at 1:41 PM
    Hi there,

Does anyone know which insurers cover panoramic roofs under glass insurance (eg windscreen and mirrors).

I've just bought my first car with this type of roof and I want to make sure this is covered.

Thanks in advance - I appreciate I can read the small print of a range of insurers, but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations or experiences.

Thank you

Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 9,473 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    All insurers will cover panoramic sun roof, but I don't know any who would include sunroof/ mirrors/ windows/ rear screen with windscreen cover.

Thus in the event of damage you would be liable for the excess as noted in your policy document.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    All insurers will cover panoramic sun roof, but I don't know any who would include sunroof/ mirrors/ windows/ rear screen with windscreen cover.

Thus in the event of damage you would be liable for the excess as noted in your policy document.
    Originally posted by missile
    I think he wants one that would class it as a glass/windscreen rather than an at fault claim.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 9,473 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    I think he wants one that would class it as a glass/windscreen rather than an at fault claim.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    I am sure he does, but AFIK that is not available.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Feb 18, 2:45 AM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,199 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:45 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:45 AM
    Hi there,

Does anyone know which insurers cover panoramic roofs under glass insurance (eg windscreen and mirrors).
    Originally posted by Pugster
    Absolutely none because they cost a hell of a lot more than a windscreen and there's a lot more involved in fitting them than half an hour with a bit of wire and a sealant gun.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 11th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 3,061 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:45 AM

Pretty sure most, if not all, insurers cover side and rear windows as well as the front screen under windscreen cover. They also mention glass sunroofs but not specifically panoramic ones.
    • Honey Badger
    • By Honey Badger 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    Honey Badger
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    I am sure he does, but AFIK that is not available.
    My insurers Saga say;

Windscreen, window and sunroof glass repairs - no excess to pay and your No Claim Discount will not be affected if you use one of our approved repairers
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,199 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    A sunroof is not a panoramic roof. A panoramic roof is basically a sheet of glass which replaces the entire roof panel and is fixed in place. Because of how much it contributes to the structural integrity the price of them isn't cheap. Manufacturer only part, four figure price even before the cost of fitting.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 11-02-2018 at 2:00 PM.
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 9,473 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    missile
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    I stand corrected. OP might like to read his policy and/or ask his insurer.
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,010Users online

Martin's Twitter