Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debunked
    • By debunked 10th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    debunked
    Help ordering BMW M3
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    Help ordering BMW M3 10th Feb 18 at 12:50 PM
    Hello All,

I am in the process of ordering a new BMW M3 on finance, and debating whether the M3 Competition Package is worth the extra cost? There is also the option of the M3 CS, which apparently is the next level up from the Competition Package but this is running close to £100k which is way over my budget.
    Is the Competition Package (CP) worth the extra £3k? There is no power upgrade but the salesman says the CP model comes with lightweight forged alloy wheels and lower, revised suspension, and uprated limited slip differential. For £3k this doesn't sounds too bad, but not sure how it translates into the real world in terms of driving?
    As I want an auto, I have not choice but to choose the DCT gearbox, which I have been told is actually a manual but changes the gears automatically for you? One more thing, is it worth upgrading to the M Carbon Ceramic brakes? It is a £6k option but would it improve braking safety over the standard ones?
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    Hello All,

I am in the process of ordering a new BMW M3 on finance, and debating whether the M3 Competition Package is worth the extra cost? There is also the option of the M3 CS, which apparently is the next level up from the Competition Package but this is running close to £100k which is way over my budget.
    Is the Competition Package (CP) worth the extra £3k? There is no power upgrade but the salesman says the CP model comes with lightweight forged alloy wheels and lower, revised suspension, and uprated limited slip differential. For £3k this doesn't sounds too bad, but not sure how it translates into the real world in terms of driving?
    As I want an auto, I have not choice but to choose the DCT gearbox, which I have been told is actually a manual but changes the gears automatically for you? One more thing, is it worth upgrading to the M Carbon Ceramic brakes? It is a £6k option but would it improve braking safety over the standard ones?
    Originally posted by debunked

If any of that were actually true you’d be a salesman’s wet dream.
    • debunked
    • By debunked 10th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    debunked
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    If any of that were actually true you’d be a salesman’s wet dream.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Wet dream? No its the market price of the cars. I also take a view of depreciation and the CP will probably hold its value better.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 10th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    I think we should wait until it's DARK before we discuss this MATTER.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 10th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    uknick
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    How on earth do you get to nearly £100k for an M3? That's about £30k of options on the DCT Competition pack model.

Might one suggest one does one's research a little better before starting threads about fantasy purchases.
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    facade
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    lightweight forged alloy wheels and lower, revised suspension
    I'd want money OFF for these.
    Break easier, cost more to replace as less common
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 10th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    I think we should wait until it's DARK before we discuss this MATTER.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Still waiting for his reply to the custard test on his other thread.
    Not expecting an answer though.

Isn`t it half term this week
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 16,765 Posts
    • 9,938 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    Hello All,

So you've went from a £40K car to now buying a £100K one?

And it also appears from other threads you know about M3s.

Whilst i originally gave you the benefit of the doubt, i think its beyond reasonable doubt you're DarkMatter.

Maybe if you spent as much time actually foocussing on getting your career to the point where you could actually get your Dream Car as you do on fantasising about it and wasting peoples time on forum threads, you'd actually achieve it?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 10th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    owen_money
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    Does the car have brakes all round? Or is this an option as well?
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 10th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    I'm also thinking of buying an M3, mine comes in at a 4 figure price tag though. You might be better off looking at something similar.

http://www.modeltoycars.com/for_sale/pc/catalog/car7/73182W-4_BOX-det.jpg

£19.99 to you, no extra charge for wheels and things.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 16,765 Posts
    • 9,938 Thanks
    motorguy
    I'm also thinking of buying an M3, mine comes in at a 4 figure price tag though. You might be better off looking at something similar.

http://www.modeltoycars.com/for_sale/pc/catalog/car7/73182W-4_BOX-det.jpg

£19.99 to you, no extra charge for wheels and things.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous

He can ask his mum to buy him one.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 20,344 Posts
    • 16,117 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Buy a Yaris and save £88K.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 10th Feb 18, 9:53 PM
    • 3,108 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Buy a Yaris and save £88K.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

or a Dacia and save £94k :-)
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 4,553 Thanks
    waamo
    Is the salesman called Mr Roarke and he has a small guy called Tattoo helping him?
    This space for hire.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 16,765 Posts
    • 9,938 Thanks
    motorguy
    or a Dacia and save £94k :-)
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    Dark Matter owns a Yaris, hence the Yaris reference.

He also owns an M3 and various other exotica. But those are on Gran Turismo on his PS4, not in real life.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 16,765 Posts
    • 9,938 Thanks
    motorguy
    Wasnt it some sort of Lexus he told us all on here he'd bought? "Picking up the keys to this baby on Friday" with a link to the car on the dealers website.

Turned out all to be nonsense as someone on here rang the dealer and the car was still fully available.

Thats the sort of fantascist we're dealing with here.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Feb 18, 2:43 AM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Where do you live, what are the main types of road you drive on, how do you drive? I live in a rural county with some of the best twisty B roads and unclassified roads in the UK and I like to go for a spirited drive on them as much as I can. For that I have a MX5. For the normal driving to work, tramping down the motorway stuff I use my Mondeo. If you're hardly ever going to be going B road blasting there's no point. If you live anywhere near London there's no point.

There's a reason it is called the competition pack and unless you can already drive a M3 to the limit then there's no advantage in getting it. If this is your first performance car, especially a M3, there is definitely no reason to get it because even as standard you'll run out of balls long before you reach the limit of the car.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 11th Feb 18, 2:51 AM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    treboeth

DM has moved on to one of his alter egos, pity MSE don`t ban him and the other Troll on here.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 16,765 Posts
    • 9,938 Thanks
    motorguy
    Where do you live, what are the main types of road you drive on, how do you drive? I live in a rural county with some of the best twisty B roads and unclassified roads in the UK and I like to go for a spirited drive on them as much as I can. For that I have a MX5. For the normal driving to work, tramping down the motorway stuff I use my Mondeo. If you're hardly ever going to be going B road blasting there's no point. If you live anywhere near London there's no point.

There's a reason it is called the competition pack and unless you can already drive a M3 to the limit then there's no advantage in getting it. If this is your first performance car, especially a M3, there is definitely no reason to get it because even as standard you'll run out of balls long before you reach the limit of the car.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Well his current M3 gets some track use

As well as night time driving

And also some round town work

Also ends up in some dodgy areas as hes a Gangster by trade

• BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 11th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 4,092 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Wasnt it some sort of Lexus he told us all on here he'd bought? "Picking up the keys to this baby on Friday" with a link to the car on the dealers website.

Turned out all to be nonsense as someone on here rang the dealer and the car was still fully available.

Thats the sort of fantascist we're dealing with here.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    That's the one. I called them, and very nearly went to test drive the car just for fun.

Lexus IS250SE iirc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

606Posts Today

6,347Users online

Martin's Twitter