Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rachbuka
    • By Rachbuka 10th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rachbuka
    Need advice - wrong tyre size
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    Need advice - wrong tyre size 10th Feb 18 at 12:34 PM
    Hello all,

I bought a used car in November. Last month I realised that the tyres on my car are wrong size. The current tyres are: 205/40ZR17 84W, the manual states the tyres should be: 185/65R14 (the spare tyre is that size) . I was also informed by a mechanic that the nuts are steel , whereas the rims are aluminium, which is another issue.

My questions are:

1. Are the current tyres ok to drive with? Or do I have to buy 4 tyres of the original size?

2. Do I have to buy new wheel nuts? Where to buy them?

3. I have a recurring puncture in front tyre, can it be caused by the wrong size tyre or the wrong wheel nuts?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    Hello all,

I bought a used car in November. Last month I realised that the tyres on my car are wrong size. The current tyres are: 205/40ZR17 84W, the manual states the tyres should be: 185/65R14 (the spare tyre is that size) . I was also informed by a mechanic that the nuts are steel , whereas the rims are aluminium, which is another issue.

My questions are:

1. Are the current tyres ok to drive with? Or do I have to buy 4 tyres of the original size? They correct tyres will be 3 inches too small for your wheels.

2. Do I have to buy new wheel nuts? Where to buy them?Not if they’re designed for the wheels you have.

3. I have a recurring puncture in front tyre, can it be caused by the wrong size tyre or the wrong wheel nuts? No.

Thank you
    Originally posted by Rachbuka
    Are your insurance company aware of the modification?
    • Rachbuka
    • By Rachbuka 10th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachbuka
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    Does that mean that the wheels hve been modified? No, the insurance company are not aware , because I wasn't aware that there were any modifications.

A guy in a tyre shop said that if I wanted to go back to the original size of the tyres, I would have to simply buy 4 new tyres of the original size.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 6,943 Posts
    • 5,706 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    205/40ZR17 84W, the manual states the tyres should be: 185/65R14 (the spare tyre is that size) .
    Thats the radius. 17" tyres on 14" rims would fall off. Spare wheels are often a different size.

A guy in a tyre shop said that if I wanted to go back to the original size of the tyres, I would have to simply buy 4 new tyres of the original size.
    Did they say the current tyres are unsuitable? Check here https://www.blackcircles.com/

Recurring punctures can be from a corroded alloy wheel or a leaking valve.

My original alloy wheels are fitted with the original steel nuts.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 10-02-2018 at 1:32 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Rachbuka
    • By Rachbuka 10th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachbuka
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    No, he didn't say the tyres were unsuitable. He changes my two back tyres and I asked him about the sizes. He said If I wanted to go back to the original size, I would have to buy 4 new tyres. He adviced me to just continue with the current size.

Thanks
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    No, he didn't say the tyres were unsuitable. He changes my two back tyres and I asked him about the sizes. He said If I wanted to go back to the original size, I would have to buy 4 new tyres. He adviced me to just continue with the current size.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Rachbuka
    I would find another mechanic as 14 inch tyres will not go on 17 inch wheels.
    • Cgingell81
    • By Cgingell81 10th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Cgingell81
    To change from 14" to 17" wheels is quite a step up. What car is it? As previously said if the wheels have been changed to 17" then the original 14" tyres won't fit.
    A slow puncture should not be ignored. It means there is something wrong. This could be as simple as a valve leaking or it could be punctured somewhere you can't see. Make sure you have valve caps as this can give you an idea if the valve is the issue.
    • Cgingell81
    • By Cgingell81 10th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Cgingell81
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    I agree, get a new mechanic.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 10th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    Forget the manual which will likely cover all variants of your model rather than your specific one.

Is there a label on the driver's door-post or inside the fuel cap cover?

That is the definitive size and tyre pressure info.

205/40 17 84 xl (extra load) tyres have exactly the same overall diameter as the spare 185/65 14 xl i.e. 1818mm so they are a perfect match.

The only thing is if they are listed as an alternative fitment.

It would help if you told us exactly which make and model we are talking about though.
    Last edited by Iceweasel; 10-02-2018 at 1:44 PM.
    • Rachbuka
    • By Rachbuka 10th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachbuka
    Thanks all. It's a 2005 Suzuki Liana.
    • Rachbuka
    • By Rachbuka 10th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachbuka
    I will check the label on the door once I put my toddler down for a nap
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 20,113 Posts
    • 15,835 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I would be very susprised if the standard size wheels on a Suzuki Liana are 17", much more likely that 14" is the correct size. So it sounds like some previous boy racer owner has decided to jazz things up by fitting bigger wheels. While the rolling diameter of the tyres may be fine I'd be more concerned about other things such as brake clearance.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 10th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    AFAIK Suzuki Lianas do not come with 17" wheels.

They normally have 14" or 15" wheels.

My guess is that a previous owner bought themselves some pretty wheels as a cosmetic improvement.

They bought exactly the correct size so that the gearing and speedo reading were not upset.

Your recurring slow puncture has nothing to do with wheel size or nuts/bolts.

So I would do nothing as regards the functioning of the car with those wheels.

Obviously get the puncture fixed though.

Your only concern is if your insurance company regards the wheel change as an unacceptable modification and would not pay-out on a claim - even one totally unrelated to the wheels/tyres.

Where did you buy this car from, as I would be tempted to return and ask questions about this.

But find a knowledgeable friend to go with you as a smart salesperson will possibly give you a load of waffle.
    • Rachbuka
    • By Rachbuka 10th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachbuka
    I bought the car from a private seller nearby, not from a dealer. I'm the third owner.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 13,533 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    I would be very susprised if the standard size wheels on a Suzuki Liana are 17", much more likely that 14" is the correct size. So it sounds like some previous boy racer owner has decided to jazz things up by fitting bigger wheels. While the rolling diameter of the tyres may be fine I'd be more concerned about other things such as brake clearance.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Lets not scare mong. Bigger wheels clearly hasnt and wont cause any brake issues. If there was clearance issues it would have been obvious when the wheels was fitted.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 13,533 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    The R is for Radial btw. Nothibg to do with the radius
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

2,715Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin