Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jakeec
    • By jakeec 10th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jakeec
    How do I check life insurance/savings/pension?
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    How do I check life insurance/savings/pension? 10th Feb 18 at 11:11 AM
    Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is in the right section (sorry if not)...

My father unexpectedly passed away recently, without a will, and myself and my brother have to sort out his affairs and arrange his funeral.
    Unfortunately, I was in care from a young age, and hadn't seen him for more than 5 years, so I don't know much about him. Neither me nor my brother can afford to pay for his funeral (I'm a 23-year-old student), so we're trying to find out if he had life insurance/savings/a pension which would pay for it. Unfortunately, we can't find any paperwork in his house. I know he had worked all his life, but his friend has told me that he had been off work recently with depression. Not sure if this was by a doctor and he was still employed, or whether he just left work and was on benefits.

To add to the stress, the post mortem couldn't find the cause of death, so we have to wait up to 8 weeks for his blood/tissues to be sent off for analysis. I'm worried that even if he did have life insurance, they won't speak to us without a death certificate, and we can't wait 8 weeks to bury him!

Does anybody know who I can contact to find some answers? I'm in a pickle.
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 92,584 Posts
    • 59,896 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    Sorry for your loss
    Neither me nor my brother can afford to pay for his funeral (I'm a 23-year-old student),
    The funeral can be paid out of the estate.

Look at his bank statements and see if there are any monthly payments to insurance companies or similar.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • noh
    • By noh 10th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 3,528 Thanks
    noh
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    This may be of some use.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/reclaim-lost-assets-free

http://unclaimedassets.co.uk/lost-life-insurance-association-of-british-insurers-abi/
    Last edited by noh; 10-02-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 12th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 5,127 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    There's a Death, Funerals and Probate board on this forum that will be able to assist you and they have some stickies you should read.

I've been told that banks will pay the funeral home bill from the person's funds if they have any, so you don't need to wait for pensions and insurances to pay out. It's possible he had a funeral plan so you should look for that and a will, however given your age it's likely he was a bit young for that. So find out if he has a bank account with sufficient money in.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,124Posts Today

7,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin