Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Saarah
    • By Saarah 10th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Saarah
    Commuting to Bristol
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    Commuting to Bristol 10th Feb 18 at 10:27 AM
    Hi!
    New to this forum business so sorry in advance if this sounds silly!
    We are looking to buy our first house, we are currently renting a flat. Wed like to live outside of Bristol, ideally in the countryside but commutable to Bristol.
    We are looking at Wotton under edge and areas around there but are also viewing a few places in South Wales, mainly Chepstow.

Any information/ recommendations or places or areas to avoid would be very helpful!
    Thanks
Page 1
    • caronoel
    • By caronoel 10th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    caronoel
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    What's your budget?

Are you driving or relying on the train?

Some beautiful, but expensive villages around Bristol, such as Bradford, and some absolute s***holes like Nailsea or Portishead which are dirt cheap for a reason
    • Saarah
    • By Saarah 10th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Saarah
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    Thanks

Our budget is roughly 250,000 and we would drive into Bristol.
    Happy to get a slightly smaller place in a nice area for now!
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    I would check on typical commuting times as during rush hour most roads into bristol centre are going to be crawling or static traffic for much of the route. Reverse the same scenario at going home time.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 10th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    keith969
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    The house prices in Chepstow are probably already rising in anticipation of the bridge toll ending later this year. It's where I would be looking if I was going to move though.

The main problem is getting into the centre, the M32 can be appalling in the morning, as is the 4174 ring road and the A38. Even if you aren't going to be working in the centre, the traffic can still be a major problem. Getting out of Aztec West to the M5 sometimes takes me half an hour despite it only being a distance of a few hundred yards!
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 24,010 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    Used to commute from Yate to Filton, could take 45 mins to an hour if we timed it wrong and it's only about 8 miles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,695Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin