Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sportacus
    • By Sportacus 10th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 132Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Sportacus
    0 WOW
    Best airlines for flights to California?
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    0 WOW
    Best airlines for flights to California? 10th Feb 18 at 10:19 AM
    The cheapest deals seem to be on Norwegian, but is this airline like Ryannair?

I'm looking for a normal flight for me, my wife, and two teenage kids, to LA or San Francisco, which includes 1 checked bag each, the 4 of us seated together, and inflight meals and drinks included. Is this too much to ask in economy class from most airlines these days?

I had a bad experience with Iberia recently where they split us across different rows of the plane (despite there being plenty of empty rows when we did online check-in), and wanted to charge us to pick seats together! They made no mention when booking that we would have to pay extra to sit together. It seems we constantly have to revise our assumptions about how airlines will treat us!
Page 1
    • bleepandbooster
    • By bleepandbooster 10th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    bleepandbooster
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    We use Aer Lingus flying via Dublin. Last year we flew to SF picked up a car and drove south to LA.

Cofion
    David
    • rpstdavids
    • By rpstdavids 10th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    rpstdavids
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    Norwegian are OK, they use the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, so a fairly new aircraft. Their lowest price though does not include luggage, meals or seat assignment, so by the time you add this in they are usually not much cheaper than BA, Virgin etc.

The best flight I've ever had to LA was using Air New Zealand. Decent food and service, the only slight downside was the later arrival time into LAX, around 19:30 if I remember correctly.

All the usual airlines (Virgin, BA, ANZ, United etc) include luggage and meals in the base price, but most charge extra for selecting your seat in advance, but you can choose for free from 24hrs before departure, and I've never had a problem selecting seats together at this point.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 10th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    Most scheduled airlines should include meals, bags and seats at check-in. I have flown BA and American to Lax or SFO. I suppose seating depends how full the flight is and how many have pre paid to select seats. I know American have introduced a basic seat fare (no frills) but I don't know if that is for international or just domestic routes. Better to check before booking. Usually on BA/AA you can select your seats within 24 hours for free. If there are empty seats in your cabin just move to where you can get together.

When AA and BA have sales they are pretty decent prices. There are other airlines, perform a google flights search to see the price and availability.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 10th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    Our only experience is with United, with change of aircraft at Newark, New Jersey (their hub) - all good.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    The best aircraft for 4 passengers is A380, BA operate these to California. The lower deck is 3-4-3 and upper 2-4-2. Lots of rows of economy seating.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,695Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin