Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MJCP
    • By MJCP 10th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MJCP
    Parcel2Go, MyHermes expensive lost parcel
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    Parcel2Go, MyHermes expensive lost parcel 10th Feb 18 at 10:19 AM
    I've had a parcel sent with Parcel2Go via MyHermes, the parcel recipient was paying the delivery as they didnt want it collected. They also didn't want the additional insurance as deemed too expensive.

After several days and no delivery confirmation (tracking was dormant) I've contacted P2G and enquired as to whats happening, they've told me the parcel is effectively lost, however, it isn't lost and it's likely in the warehouse and this happens a lot and they often find it (disconcerting), they promised to contact me within 72 hours, they didn't, there's no contact phone number and no way of contacting MyHermes. I'm now left with a 1700 'missing' item, that may be found, I'm told by online chat the process takes 21 days yet their back-end system tells me 7 days. There's no update on how far the parcel made it and whether I can lend a helping hand by describing the box and it's contents to the local depot.

Nobody seems interested in a resolution as no one but me effectively stands to lose any money, can anyone offer any input or advice? something useful, I understand the 'insurance' point but the person purchasing the item was stretching financially and I left it up to them to decide whether they wanted insurance (they are, incidentally, insured by Paypal but that involves the money being pulled from my account).

I can picture this parcel being sat on a warehouse floor somewhere and no one has the time/inclination to put two and two together. The lack of visibility from both Parcel2Go and MyHermes is astounding.

Any thoughts on legal recourse? or anyone happen to work for MyHermes who may want to help out. It'd be much appreciated
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    Was this an ebay collection only sale that the buyer has arranged a courier to collect? Who made the contract with the buyer (not necessarily who paid for it)?

We need to know the background so we can work out whether ownership has passed or not.

(And sending a 1700 item with no insurance is utter madness.)
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 10,037 Posts
    • 11,306 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    In what capacity did you make the sale? (were you selling as a business or was it a private sale?)
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    As above, can you please confirm who arranged the courier and paid for it, also was this an ebay listing?

If an ebay listing did your listing show only as 'collection only' or did you say anything about possibly being able to post it, or allowing couriers etc?

Meanwhile- the person who arranged the courier has no contract with MyHermes, so forget trying to talk any sense out of them. The only people remotely interested will be Parcel2Go , and you might want to do a forum search (especially on the ebay board) to see how their customer services with lost parcels frustrates any real assistance.

Assuming the buyer arranged and paid for the courier then any paypal claim will be for the item cost only, which I understand is 1700. There is a little, but only a little, anecdotal evidence to suggest that if the listing stated clearly it was collection only that you have an outside chance of being able to defend an INR, but frankly I wouldn't count on it.

I have to say though that I am concerned that people are still allowing courier collections on collection only items, this is an absolute no no. Have a read of this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    Also worth flagging that the maximum insurance you can buy when sending via Hermes is 300, so a pretty disastrous choice for an item worth this much.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 10th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 5,008 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    The lack of visibility from both Parcel2Go and MyHermes is astounding.
    Originally posted by MJCP
    Sadly, the lack of visibility from yourself has created this situation. The buyer obviously realised that until they had the goods in their hands that you would remain responsible for it. The insurance should not have been optional.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 13,576 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    Consumer or business i cant see you getting out of this. You agreed to deliver and booked the courier.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 12,203 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    While I think my grasp of English is good I am struggling with the OP so I will blame it on not having English as my first language.

Op, are you the seller and if so did you arrange the courier or did the buyer arrange it?

Was the sale through Paypal???? If not the below doesn't help but I can't help seem to untangle your post enough for me to make any sense of it.

If you are the seller and the buyer arranged their own courier they cannot claim INR with Paypal. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_GB#r013

Buyer protection section 13.4.a.15 shows the following is NOT eligible for buyer protection:

purchases of items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf (including at a retail point of sale) and which you claim to be Not Received;
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 10-02-2018 at 3:41 PM.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    If P2G were willing to deal with OP, it almost certainly means OP booked the courier.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 10th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Diamandis
    They also didn't want the additional insurance as deemed too expensive.
    Originally posted by MJCP
    That's because they knew the risk sat with you. They'll more than likely get their money back.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Feb 18, 8:51 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 21,680 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    The crucial information is obviously who paid for the courier.

If the OP paid, them uh oh! Not a smart move.

If the buyer paid directly for the courier, then there is hope... (for you, not the buyer). BUT... it will depend on how they paid for the item. If they paid with PayPal, then paypal requires a tracking number to show it is delivered, so yet again, UH OH!

This isn't looking good...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Feb 18, 3:54 AM
    • 5,415 Posts
    • 7,593 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I am sorry but for your own sake, you should have insured that parcel yourself. With an outside insurer if there wasn't insurance to the level you needed. You took a gamble and unfortunately you haven't done so well. Awful, but could have been prevented out of self protection and viewed as a cost of sale, rather than the buyers responsiblity.

Lets hope the parcel does turn up. It could do.., but obviously not wise to hold your breath.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Feb 18, 8:12 AM
    • 12,203 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

BUT... it will depend on how they paid for the item. If they paid with PayPal, then paypal requires a tracking number to show it is delivered, so yet again, UH OH!

This isn't looking good...
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Read my post above. If the buyer paid for the courier the buyer has no buyer protection.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    Read my post above. If the buyer paid for the courier the buyer has no buyer protection.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I wouldn't necessarily rely on that with paypal. The community boards are full of sellers, even this week who have lost INR claims due to no delivery when a buyer has collected. It can be based on exactly what the listing said (which is why I asked that originally) and whether messages went through ebay. Otherwise any seller could win an SNAD claim by insisting that buyer sent a courier or collected, and it was nothing to do with them.We all know that paypal take the simplest route, they do not arbitrate , they just look for the proof that buyer has the item.

We do warn about this on the ebay board in the sticky threads.

However, I suspect we won't hear back from the OP, we are getting a lot of post and run threads now, which is a shame as I always wonder what happened and whether we could have assisted if OP had supplied more info.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 11th Feb 18, 9:31 AM
    • 20,490 Posts
    • 12,693 Thanks
    dacouch
    The parecel may well turn up at a later date so check the tracking.

If the barcode was damaged or badly printed out it may be put to one side for some time before someone gets round to investigate it.

Couriers do not worry about the address for tracking, the important part is the barcode
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,760Users online

Martin's Twitter