Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sportacus
    • By Sportacus 10th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 132Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Sportacus
    0 WOW
    Post Office 'Hard Selling' passport special deliv.
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    0 WOW
    Post Office 'Hard Selling' passport special deliv. 10th Feb 18 at 10:02 AM
    Had a bad experience in my local post office last year when trying to send my child's passport renewal application - the post master tut-tutting about me only sending it recorded delivery and not paying for the super-duper identity theft insured and three times the price service. I got annoyed with him in the end and haven't been back to that post office since.

This week I had to renew my passport and did it online, but you still have to post your old passport. The renewal website clearly says:

" it's up to you whether you use standard post or a secure service."

my wife took it to the post office (different one) to send and I told her just to send it normal first class, she came back to say the post master had told her that secure postage was mandatory for passports now, and that she'd had to pay 6!

Does anyone know if the Post Office workers are on some commission to upsell postal services? Or was the passport website wrong and sending them secure is now 'mandatory'?

Anyway, I just needed to have a rant somewhere about this.
Page 1
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 10th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 2,089 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    I got ours back on Friday after using the new service and we just put the old one in the post box with a first class stamp on. It arrived next day and the passport office sent a text to confirm receipt. So, no, it is definitely not mandatory.
    • Sportacus
    • By Sportacus 10th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Sportacus
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    thanks, I've a good mind to go to the post office and ask for a refund for mis-selling.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 10th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    Same here. Sent old one with first class stamp. Got the new passport 4 days later! Very impressive!

Mind that was just before the price rise announcement, I guess demand has gone up now.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 10th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    Lucky you escaped without mobile Phone top-up and holiday insurance too.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    • 19,660 Posts
    • 52,499 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    Had a bad experience in my local post office last year when trying to send my child's passport renewal application - the post master tut-tutting about me only sending it recorded delivery and not paying for the super-duper identity theft insured and three times the price service. I got annoyed with him in the end and haven't been back to that post office since.

This week I had to renew my passport and did it online, but you still have to post your old passport. The renewal website clearly says:

" it's up to you whether you use standard post or a secure service."

my wife took it to the post office (different one) to send and I told her just to send it normal first class, she came back to say the post master had told her that secure postage was mandatory for passports now, and that she'd had to pay 6!

Does anyone know if the Post Office workers are on some commission to upsell postal services? Or was the passport website wrong and sending them secure is now 'mandatory'?

Anyway, I just needed to have a rant somewhere about this.
    Originally posted by Sportacus
    Are you talking about a 'proper' Post Office or a what I used to know as a SPSO (scale payment sub office).
    The latter was (IIRC) run by a 'postmaster'.
    Where's custardy?
    • martindow
    • By martindow 11th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 4,266 Thanks
    martindow
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    Some POs are awful for up-selling and I hear customers all the time paying for extras that I'm sure they don't need. They are frequently 'strongly advised' to buy signed for or Special Delivery.

Mandatory is a new one though - are you sure that was what was said?
    • skintpaul
    • By skintpaul 11th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 13,036 Thanks
    skintpaul
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    i would take a trackable delivery option, for something this important..

although, just 'recorded' delivery (v 'special') compo may not be enough, for cost of a new one?

But io post office lose it, up to THEM to replace..?
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 13,751 Posts
    • 18,033 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    How would the Post Office replace an old passport?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • katejo
    • By katejo 11th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 3,057 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    katejo
    I haven't renewed mine for some time so haven't tried the online renewal yet. However I think I would use recorded delivery to send the old passport in. I'd be a bit stuck if I had a trip booked and couldn't go because of the old passport going missing in the post. Does it eventually get sent back to you with the new one?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 10,492 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    If they've claimed its mandatory complain away.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 49,144 Thanks
    kerri gt
    The Post Office is a business and struggling against competition so yes, they do upsell or try and sell other products - which whilst annoying, isn't the fault of the staff employed.

As far as sending off an important document - whilst I'm quite happy to slap a standard stamp on a card and if it goes astray so be it, I wouldn't take a chance with my passport.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• zagfles
    • By zagfles 11th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    zagfles
    I haven't renewed mine for some time so haven't tried the online renewal yet. However I think I would use recorded delivery to send the old passport in. I'd be a bit stuck if I had a trip booked and couldn't go because of the old passport going missing in the post. Does it eventually get sent back to you with the new one?
    Originally posted by katejo
    Yes they send it back cancelled.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 11th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    zagfles
    The Post Office is a business and struggling against competition so yes, they do upsell or try and sell other products - which whilst annoying, isn't the fault of the staff employed.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    It is if they lie and say it's "mandatory" when it isn't.
    As far as sending off an important document - whilst I'm quite happy to slap a standard stamp on a card and if it goes astray so be it, I wouldn't take a chance with my passport.
    I wouldn't either normally, but if it's about to expire or has expired (as will normally be the case with renewals) I wouldn't be too worried. Unless I had a trip planned imminently!
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 11th Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 2,089 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    It is if they lie and say it's "mandatory" when it isn't. I wouldn't either normally, but if it's about to expire or has expired (as will normally be the case with renewals) I wouldn't be too worried. Unless I had a trip planned imminently!
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Yes, that was the train of thought we had. Plus, they do say it is an acceptable method of return.

As you say, if we had an imminent trip planned then I might have thought differently, but I knew we had time to sort out any issues arising in the event it did go astray.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 16,452 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    motorguy
    i would take a trackable delivery option, for something this important..

although, just 'recorded' delivery (v 'special') compo may not be enough, for cost of a new one?

But io post office lose it, up to THEM to replace..?
    Originally posted by skintpaul
    I did my renewal application online, however they do require you to return your old passport before they will send the new one.

I sent mine SD purely from the trackability aspect of it and, in theory, its less likely to go missing.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 11th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Are we talking about returning expired passports, or ones that are still valid but nearing the end of their lifespan for renewal - the latter I suspect ?

When my father passed away the passport office instructions were to cut off a triangular corner off the first page and return it by mail, no mention of recorded or registered delivery.

If I were renewing I would send recorded - a passport going AWOL is a major drama scenario, especially if you need a new one for imminent travel.
    • photome
    • By photome 11th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 13,024 Posts
    • 8,553 Thanks
    photome
    What difference does it make how you send your passport back?

if it goes missing it goes missing, the PO or royal mail wont be able to replace it
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 11th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1,489 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Are we talking about returning expired passports, or ones that are still valid but nearing the end of their lifespan for renewal - the latter I suspect ?

When my father passed away the passport office instructions were to cut off a triangular corner off the first page and return it by mail, no mention of recorded or registered delivery.

If I were renewing I would send recorded - a passport going AWOL is a major drama scenario, especially if you need a new one for imminent travel.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Recorded (Signed for) only gets you a signature. It is not tracked through its journey nor does it offer sufficient insurance to replace the passport. It's not going to help you if the passport goes AWOL.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 11th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    bazzyb
    Recorded (Signed for) only gets you a signature. It is not tracked through its journey nor does it offer sufficient insurance to replace the passport. It's not going to help you if the passport goes AWOL.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    Neither would any other service. Special delivery is tracked and offers higher level of compensation - but how will that help you if an expired passport gets lost? You can't get a replacement expired passport...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

790Posts Today

7,160Users online

Martin's Twitter