Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Feb 18, 6:05 AM
    • 1,193Posts
    • 15,845Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th Feb 2018
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:05 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th Feb 2018 10th Feb 18 at 6:05 AM
    This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
Page 1
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Feb 18, 6:08 AM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:08 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:08 AM
    Good morning all. At the airport. Seriously early start exacerbated dropping my passport in the taxi when I got out to get cash.

Thankfully I!!!8217;d put the taxi number in my phone or we!!!8217;d have been cancelling our second holiday. Great relief all round. A good reason to arrive in plenty of time.

Have a great day everyone.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Feb 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 19,072 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:45 AM
    Morning and safe journey FBO
    It is still dark and feels damp and chilly so I've put the heating on at a low level. Washing machine has just finished the first load of the weekend.
    DS has, we think, arrived safely, he Skyped photos of the in flight menu (posh!) But the I'm Safely Arrived text has not materialised.
    I have a tidy house, tidy for us, that is, and no work until Wednesday.

Looking back on yesterday's posts, it seems everyone has had to have a new password, thought it was just me.
    Hope everyone has a good day
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 10-02-2018 at 6:59 AM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 10th Feb 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 4,065 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning Everyone,

Thanks for starting us off FurryBeastOz. Glad you got your passport back. Have a lovely holiday too.

Still dark outside and it feels cold.

Today I will be making my OH's birthday cake. I left the fruit soaking in brandy overnight - so will make the cake today - OH will be 65 in a few weeks time. I will ice the cake nearer to his b/day.

Weekly trip to check Moms house. Not much else going on. Saturday nights telly will entertain me this evening. Also on a Saturday is wine and crisp night.

Have a good day x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Feb 18, 7:01 AM
    • 3,062 Posts
    • 42,147 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:01 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:01 AM
    Morning everyone

FBO - thanks for starting us off x

Still something going on with the website as like many of you yesterday I couldn't log in, and had to reset my password, hoping it's sorted now.

Now light, cold and frosty.

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and I enjoying first peaceful cuppas, I've just had my brekkie and am waiting for the WM to finish so I can go and get a shower. All being well the heating engineer is coming today to install our new boiler, we're just fed up of the old boiler working as and when it decides and me continually needing to re-set it etc, it's 10-12 years old and they don't manufacture it anymore, so spares are becoming a problem, so we decided a new boiler was an expense but a necessary one.

Dinner last night was a lovely chicken korma, rice, and accompaniments, naan and poppadums, enjoyed by us all and I got the quantities right, so everyone had enough without there being too much leftover, DH said how much he enjoyed it, a win as he can be so awkward about food at times. Tonight dinner will be pizza, chips, salad etc unless I think of something else. We'll be watching the rugby of course.

I did get the ironing done, and the dirty wash basket empty, apart from changing our bed, so that bed linen needs washing, but that can be done later today - once boiler is sorted.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    • 3,979 Posts
    • 27,214 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    Morning folks and thanks FBO. Safe journey. It sounds as if this w/e is going to be a stinker with all weathers getting thrown at us - except sun! The wind has got up already by the sound of it.

I want to get the bus into town this morning. I need some more cooking bacon or soup making will be at a standstill. (Mr TA likes his pea and ham!) I got an enormous pack last time from Fultons. It was so lean without a bit of fat. It would be nice if it was like that again!

Other than that not a lot is planned for today. I might make a start on the Toys R Us bedroom and see what I can get rid of. For a start there are dozens of kids' videos and we don't even have a video player!

I have got some ys diced chicken out to thaw as I thought I might make a curry for tonight. Not had one in a while and, whilst sorting out the upright, I spotted some ys Naans which I got in M & S for a pittance. So they got pulled out too.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried or lonely. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 14,699 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    Morning everyone

Iím glad Iím not the only one with large food stocks Nelski. I have two freezers Specky, a chest one in the outhouse and a fridge/freezer in the kitchen.

Sorry to read that you were not any better yesterday nannywindow.

Maddiemay Iím pleased that you had a good time at the lunch.

Iím having a, I canít decide what to do today day. I should do some housework, and as is often the case, I really need to paint the one wall in the entrance hall that I constantly rub my shopping bags along when I come home.

I expect that I will end up doing some housework, getting fed up with that and end up reading/watching some tv. It seems to have become the usual Saturday routine lately. At least spring is around the corner and I will be able to get out more.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 10th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 3,556 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    Morning all. There's a light covering of snow here,I don't know if we'll get more.

I wasn't out at all yesterday, apart from last night when I went to a friends. Will be going out for a bit of shopping today.
    I needed to reset my password yesterday, it sounds like everyone did

Hope you have a great holiday FBO.
    Speky, sounds as if your trip to London went well.

Not a lot going on today here, but thoughts go to all the poorly and worried people
    Take care folks

I
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 16,132 Posts
    • 70,189 Thanks
    Judi
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    Morning all,

A large freezer is wasted on me. Im in bed and can tell you exactly whats in it.

2 loaves of bread
    Shoulder of lamb
    Salmon
    Back bacon
    2 frozen veg
    Ham (big pack I split into 2)

I menu plan to what we want rather than whats on offer.

Not sure what the day will bring. Shopping will be an experience.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 45,474 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread FBO and hugs to all those in need.

Frosty here this morning but I need to let the stove go out as the chimney needs sweeping.

The engineer is coming this morning to alter our solar panels, I shell be doing housework as we have visitors tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 25,726 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and thanks for the thread FBO, hope you have a great holiday.

Feel like a wet rag this morning, my tendonitis was so painful in the night had to get up for a couple of hours, only up now as DOH is off to the footie for the day so wanted to have breakfast with him, every intention of going back to bed once he's gone.
    It's very cold here today with a pale, wintry sky, will need to go out for some fresh bread at some point but other than that nothing needs doing so think it's a day for the sofa and a good book.

Re freezers, I no longer keep a 2nd one going, the one I have is big enough for veggies, fruit and bread etc plus soup and a few portions of HM ready meals and I find, with meal planning, that is enough for me now.

Right, time to get on, enjoy your Saturday folks x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 12,429 Posts
    • 39,736 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Quiet here this morning everyone must still be snuggled in bed still wise move. I was looking forward to a bit of a lie in as Saturdays i dont get my usual 6.20 noise alarm and then the police decide to take their helicopter out for a spin right over my house ...cheers boys.

Anyway washing on and on second tea in hand. no real plans for today apart from the usual befriending call this morning then of course over to James Martins for breakfast

Had HM doner last night with loads of salad and spicy onions very tasty and some left for today as well as 2 portions for the freezer. Holly I have 2 freezers too which I believe as a oneski is essential. Whatever i cook tends to yield at least 4 portions so one thing out =4 things back in ...its never going to go down at this rate bar me not cooking at all for a few months

Ill have some doner for lunch but fancy a full english for dinner. Thats a whole sausage or maybe two out of the freezer

Well it hasn't been a good day for us at the winter olympics but early days yet hope we can bring some metal home

Have a lovely day all
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning all

Stupid MSE messing about with password changes..I do wonder why as no proper explanation has been given. Prior warning may have been helpful and only polite!

No news to impart from here other than I need 2 new hot water bottles after stopper-gate the other night when I could not remove the stopper from the HWB. Panic stations ensued as the kettle had already boiled and I was heading for bed. I donned a pair of thermals to get into bed in whilst I warmed the bed up! These were soon discarded as I can not sleep in any night attire.

No plans for today I will just go with the flow. I didn't sleep last night and have been up since 4am so I'm wiped out as per...

Happy holidays FBO

Take care one and all

ETA I only have a small one shelf freezer and as a oneski this is a real PITA. I wish I had room for another free standing one but I don't
    Last edited by karcher; 10-02-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 10th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 31,813 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Damp and cold looking here, another one with no plans out of the house for today, up a couple of times in the night with a grumpy tum so tempted to drift off back to bed for a while, but that would probably gain me a thick head

Have frozen plums defrosting to make a batch of jam when OH around later to put it into the jars, I am not always too safe with heavy pans and hot liquids, but he seems to enjoy doing it, and of course he loves eating the results I will probably do some GF baking too, make the kitchen nice and cosy.

The usual hugs and spoons, keep warm and rested if you can, I have Snowdrops and Crocus out and the daffs are pushing up nicely, roll on Spring.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 6,428 Posts
    • 40,668 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all. Iíve been bimbling around DMís flat for a while waiting for her to rouse herself.

The only plans for today are to take her shopping and then take myself home. I really need one day to myself even though itís tempting to stay until tomorrow. One day of no driving / working / doing wee jobs and just pleasing myself is just bliss.

A lovely neighbour came down last night to chat about the key safe for DM. He was very concerned about it, for various reasons, so we decided not to have it installed. He and his wife hold a set of DMís keys as does another neighbour. They are all happy to be listed as contacts for DMís emergency button provider and will continue to scoop her off the floor when she has her irregular ĎcollapsesíThe GP is organising a MRI to try to track down these reason for these episodes.

My thinking hat has to turn itself to a 90th birthday celebration. No dancing or all night drinking sessions. Could be an afternoon tea in a lovely hotel. My favourite cousin (and his sour faced partner) are flying over so something has to take place.

Happy Saturday to everyone.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 15,896 Posts
    • 134,735 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums well after the nuisance of the password fiasco yesterday I managed to get online this morning by entering my old password as the new one but if it chucks me out again I will just delete the site altogether as I can't be bothered with all the faffing around.
    Shame as I have been on here for almost 14 years and look everyday to see how my 'virtual ' friends are getting along So if I vanish I haven't popped my clogs, just moved on to something else.

Well the sun is out and its bright but chilly here at the moment ,but rain is forecast for this afternoon.

I have my eldest DGD's baby shower to go to tomorrow, her friend arranged it all, and she only has 6 weeks until my first little Gt Granddaughter makes an appearance

Eldest DD and my son-in-law have landed safely in NYC for their weeks break with my DGS Danny and his wife I hope the weather is kind for them.

General pottering around day today,little bit of ironing to do and then probably feet up and a bit of TV and knitting this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a good day what ever they are up to and keep warm and dry if possible Spring is definitely on the way as my bulbs are racing each other up in the garden.

Take care chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 20,078 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Thankfully a better nights sleep, roused when OH went to the toilet, but soon dropped off, I had a job keeping awake before we went to bed.

Dull wettish morning, OH is wanting to go out, no way whilst its wet, he will just have to wait or go after lunch.

I made a large pot of Scotch broth yesterday, so will have that with toast at lunchtime. We are still using up the white toasting bread I bought by mistake....yuk, its horrid but no way am I wasting it.

OH is hooked on playing scrabble on his IPad, thats fine but he will insist on telling me when it refuses to accept what he knows to be the right spelling of a word!! Gets a bit wearing after the 20th time!!

No plans for today, We have requested scotch pie for supper......so mash and mixed veg it is will have to get the pies out of the freezer and defrost them. I usually make extra gravy to go with them.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    Elona
    HollyH

I am having a cba day as well. I woke up about 8.30 as I stayed up late watching a double bill of Law and order.
    Had just gone to the loo when I heard a tap on the front door and it was middle dd. She drove over to leave her car at mine while a friend picks her up to go to a mutual friend's engagement do. She was a bit surprised to find a large package blocking the hall so explained about the new display cabinet and that a handyman is coming round on Monday or Tuesday to sort it out as it is too heavy for me to handle. She is popping back tomorrow lunchtime to pick up her car so I want to have something home cooked in case she can stay for a bite to eat.

Decided to spend today pottering about the bedroom , changing the bed and tidying up and putting on a couple of loads of laundry as well as sorting dry laundry out.

JackieO

I know how you feel as I lost all my old posts, private messages and user name and still got all the palaver yesterday about a new password and it took ages to sort out. I can't get on the old format either grrh!!! Don't let the puddings drive you out as it would not be the same without you. I am staying here out of stubborness.

Hugs to all
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 19,072 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Hello again, I too seem to be having a cba day. I might Hoover the sitting room but that'll be it for me. I don't ever cook on Saturdays, OH does that. He's been shopping and I've done quite a lot of the Times crossword, mostly I get stuck and then come back to it. Is is odd, the answers seem to percolate in my brain while I'm doing something else.
    It is really really cold. I'm wearing layers and layers of clothes and I still can't get warm so I have been profligate and upped the temperature on the heating.
    I need to write down my new password or I'll forget it. I have seen posts about a blue screen thing but I'm not getting that.
    JackieO if you choose to go, please might we have an idea of where because it would be sad not to hear about your lovely family.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 12,429 Posts
    • 39,736 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good Morning chums well after the nuisance of the password fiasco yesterday I managed to get online this morning by entering my old password as the new one but if it chucks me out again I will just delete the site altogether as I can't be bothered with all the faffing around.
    Shame as I have been on here for almost 14 years and look everyday to see how my 'virtual ' friends are getting along So if I vanish I haven't popped my clogs, just moved on to something else.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    don't you even think about it my adopted mum. This place would not be the same without you. you wouldnt be able to disappear anyway I would track you down

I often think the problem with MSE important people (or so they think) is their refusal to communicate to us the masses.If everyone was told that all passwords had to be changed and an explanation as to why then it would all go nice and smoothly rather than the conspiracy posts popping up everywhere that MSE has been taken over and we should all head to the bunkers

I know its a free resource and i personally would miss it loads but they get plenty out of it too...watching the tv shows its easy to spot all the deals taken from the site.

Anyway rant over Jackiemum and Elona Im glad you are survivors
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin