Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Feb 18, 11:44 PM
    • 3,816Posts
    • 4,703Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Donations to pet shelter
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:44 PM
    Donations to pet shelter 9th Feb 18 at 11:44 PM
    Is this the done thing after your dog has passed?

Iím not even sure if I have a shelter near me, but I have a lot of food, treats and poo bags that I donít want to throw away.

Sentimental things like her bowls and collar I will keep and decide what to do with. And beds and toys I have thrown away.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - £180,813.85
    Equity - £219,186.15
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Feb 18, 11:48 PM
    • 16,538 Posts
    • 41,755 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:48 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:48 PM
    So sorry about your dog.
    I'm sure they'd appreciate anything you want to give. After both my last two passed I took the food etc down to the nearest rescue. The food bags had been opened but they didn't seem to mind.

ETA - just seen your other post. My last bull terrier developed breathing issues which she passed from. I don't think it's breed specific, just something that happens to some dogs. If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure my girl wasn't in pain.
    Last edited by elsien; 09-02-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    Sorry to read abut your dog.

if you say where you are someone may be able to suggest a rescue.

Or put 'dog rescue' or 'staffy rescue' and your county into Google and see of anything comes up.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 8,197 Posts
    • 9,087 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    Many food banks also take donations of pet stuff, as their clients also have pets to feed. And some homeless support places will take dog stuff too.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Soot2006
    • By Soot2006 10th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Soot2006
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    Many rescues are very grateful for donations, esp as they will often try to send dogs to their new home with some things of their own - a bed, blanket, etc ... Sorry for your loss.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 10th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 3,363 Thanks
    tealady
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    Hi
    I am a moggy mum and have taken stuff to dog and cat rescues when my fur babies have passed.
    They have always been happy to accept food / blankets etc.
    Dogs can eat cat food but not the other way round (well not on a regular basis as cats need taurine in their food)
    If what you gave to donate is not suitable then I am sure they will say.
    Slightly off the wall her but for anyone who lives near Monkey World in Dorset please check out their lists of stuff they want, I was amazed by what their monkeys and apes can use.
    HTH
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,815 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    That's a good idea. I've donated towels, blankets etc before and they were very grateful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,335Posts Today

7,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin