Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marcus1991
    • By Marcus1991 9th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 45Thanks
    Marcus1991
    Boiler not serviced as promised.
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    Boiler not serviced as promised. 9th Feb 18 at 9:56 PM
    Hi all,
    We bought our first house and moved in in December. We were informed (in black and white) that the boiler will be serviced prior to exchange of contracts. 6 weeks after we moved in, we hadnít received any paperwork relating to the boiler whatsoever. Last week the boiler stopped working and cost us £400 to get repaired. The heating engineer said that the boiler has never been registered or serviced (installed in 2009)
    We have been in contact with the previous owner and is a horrendous liar. Contradicted himself many times in the 3 minuets I spoke to him on the phone and couldnít give us a straight answer on wether he serviced it as promised.
    Do you think itís worth us going further with this, if so, how? Or should we put it down as experience.
    Thanks, Marcus.
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 7,471 Posts
    • 5,954 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    Move on. The seller isn!!!8217;t going to change his ways.
    • Marcus1991
    • By Marcus1991 9th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Marcus1991
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    Think moving on is a good idea. But It!!!8217;s just frustrating that in a solicitors letter/contract we were told it would be serviced. Makes a bit of a joke of the contact if he gets away with it.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 44,056 Posts
    • 52,184 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    Hi all,
    We bought our first house and moved in in December. We were informed (in black and white) that the boiler will be serviced prior to exchange of contracts.
    Was this a condition of your proceeding?
    If not, what's the problem?
    If so, why did you exchange without confirmation of the service?
    6 weeks after we moved in, we hadnít received any paperwork relating to the boiler whatsoever.
    What had you done during thse 6 weeks? Writtten requesting the paperwork?
    Taken legal action?

Last week the boiler stopped working and cost us £400 to get repaired.
    Yes - boilers an cost money to maintain, whether serviced or not.7
    The heating engineer said that the boiler has never been registered or serviced (installed in 2009)
    After 9 years, registration is irrelevant. But anyway, presumably you knew this alreay having checked before you Exhanged.

Not sure how an engineer can tell a boiler has never been serviced in 9 years.

We have been in contact with the previous owner and is a horrendous liar. Contradicted himself many times in the 3 minuets I spoke to him on the phone and couldnít give us a straight answer on wether he serviced it as promised.
    He's sold his house. He doesn't care. it's not his problem.

Do you think itís worth us going further with this, if so, how? Or should we put it down as experience.
    Thanks, Marcus.
    Originally posted by Marcus1991
    I suspect you can draw your own conclusions from my comments!
    • anselld
    • By anselld 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 5,383 Thanks
    anselld
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    Think moving on is a good idea. But It!!!8217;s just frustrating that in a solicitors letter/contract we were told it would be serviced. Makes a bit of a joke of the contact if he gets away with it.
    Yes, annoying, but having it serviced does not stop it breaking down. Boiler service is actually little more than a cursory inspection which makes virtually no difference to the probability of a failure.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 58,454 Posts
    • 51,829 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    Did your valuation survey recommend that you undertake an inspection of the heating system and electrics in the property?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    • 7,642 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    We were informed (in black and white) that the boiler will be serviced prior to exchange of contracts.
    What was the point of agreeing that if you weren't going to check it had been done before exchanging?

Also, "being serviced" isn't some sort of guarantee of future longevity. You can service a knackered old car (and drag it through an MOT) - doesn't mean it's going to survive the year.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 2,776 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    I would rather do it myself, the vendor could get a cowboy to certify a failed boiler. At least I can do something about it and not skimp on costs
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 3,220 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    Next time you buy a house, get work done yourself rather than asking the seller to do it. If you were selling something you'd hardly be motivated to spend money on it would you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

670Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin