Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • s.penny91
    • By s.penny91 9th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    s.penny91
    Stocks & Shares ISA Transfers
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    Stocks & Shares ISA Transfers 9th Feb 18 at 9:46 PM
    Looking for advice please.

I’m 26 and have held a S&S ISA for 5 years with £14,000 in which looking today is ‘worth’ £23,000.

I also have approx £8,000 in savings accounts earning around 2%.

Im hoping to buy a house in the next 2-3 years and the money in the S&S ISA will form part, if not all, my deposit.

I appreciate that over the long term the market usually goes up, but in the shorter term the investment can go up or down, and as this is going to play an important role in my future I am increasingly wary of not risk realising a gain or ending up with less than ive paid in.

What are the benefits/negatives of a partial transfer i.e. the gains part, to a cash ISA so I’ve definately got some ‘hard cash’?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    Over 2-3 years of investing in shares there is a circa 20% chance of you suffering a loss that is unlikely to be worse than a 50% drop.

It's a shame you didn't decide what to do a few weeks ago when the market was at its recent peak. Still it's up to you what you do now. I wouldn't expect future returns to be as high as recent returns.

I assume you have considered if a Skipton cash LISA might be appropriate for the £1k per tax year bonus?

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 09-02-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    • s.penny91
    • By s.penny91 9th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    s.penny91
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    My S&S is a ready made, managed portfolio so I don!!!8217;t give it a great deal of thought - just let the fund managers do their thing! But a few recent news articles have prompted me to think about a re-shuffle.... or, more accurately, brought it to the forefront of my mind again.

Yes, considering the LISA. I believe you can pay into that AND a normal cash ISA in the same tax year so would be the ideal solution.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    Yes, considering the LISA. I believe you can pay into that AND a normal cash ISA in the same tax year so would be the ideal solution.
    Originally posted by s.penny91
    Yes a LISA is a different type of ISA so that's fine. If you add £4k into Skipton this tax year then another £4k on 6th April you could have your £2k bonus in the account by May.

Just check all the T&C's first to ensure it is suitable for your situation.

Alex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,501Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin