Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tman411
    • By tman411 9th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    tman411
    Universal Credit / Mental Health
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    Universal Credit / Mental Health 9th Feb 18 at 6:09 PM
    I have been handing in ''fit notes'' for the past 3 months at my local job centre, i am being forced into going in for a work related interview every 2 weeks, however i have been advised by my doctor that I shouldn't have to go in / it wouldn't be good for me.
    I am suffering from Depression and Anxiety / Anger
    I am awaiting a appointment with a psychiatric appointment / Mental Health Nurse, which will be soon.
    I am struggling to leave the house / anything and i feel as if they are not listening to me and still forcing me into doing work search / going in for appointments which only last for 2 minutes.
    I have asked for phone call appointments and my work coach keeps rejecting me for them.
    Does anyone have any advice because i feel very alone at this point with no help at all because no one is listening.
Page 1
    • missmontana
    • By missmontana 9th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    missmontana
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    Are you claiming ESA or JSA?
    Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
    They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Feb 18, 9:51 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:51 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:51 PM
    Are you claiming ESA or JSA?
    Originally posted by missmontana
    Clearly the OP isn't claiming anything of these as stated, they are claiming Universal Credit.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    I have been handing in ''fit notes'' for the past 3 months at my local job centre, i am being forced into going in for a work related interview every 2 weeks, however i have been advised by my doctor that I shouldn't have to go in / it wouldn't be good for me.
    I am suffering from Depression and Anxiety / Anger
    I am awaiting a appointment with a psychiatric appointment / Mental Health Nurse, which will be soon.
    I am struggling to leave the house / anything and i feel as if they are not listening to me and still forcing me into doing work search / going in for appointments which only last for 2 minutes.
    I have asked for phone call appointments and my work coach keeps rejecting me for them.
    Does anyone have any advice because i feel very alone at this point with no help at all because no one is listening.
    Originally posted by tman411
    You should have been sent a UC50 form similar to the ESA50 form. This will need to be filled in and returned, along with all of your evidence. Evidence will be needed to prove how your condition affects you daily. If you haven't been sent one of these then contact your job coach.

I'm sure someone else with more knowledge to UC will come along and advice you further.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    What benefits did you receive before moving onto UC?
    • tman411
    • By tman411 9th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tman411
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    I have received the Questionnaire and sent it back to them, just the waiting game now
    • huckster
    • By huckster 9th Feb 18, 11:29 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    huckster
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:29 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:29 PM
    Suggest you telephone the UC Service Centre to speak to someone about this.

It should work the same as ESA, where your 'conditionality' regime is set as no working requirements. On ESA assessment period of 13 weeks or however long it takes for a work capability assessment, you are not expected to attend a job centre or search for work. Once you are assessed medically or you are no longer signed off by a Doctor, your 'conditionality' regime is reviewed. If you are fit for work, you are given a tailored commitment by a work coach, based on intensive work search.

The UC service centre may know much more about UC than a Job Centre Work Coach and can make sure you are treated fully in line with UC rules. Job Centre Work Coaches are very likely to just keep seeing people until someone else makes a decision that the claimant does not need to attend a job centre.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    Suggest you telephone the UC Service Centre to speak to someone about this.

It should work the same as ESA, where your 'conditionality' regime is set as no working requirements. On ESA assessment period of 13 weeks or however long it takes for a work capability assessment, you are not expected to attend a job centre or search for work. Once you are assessed medically or you are no longer signed off by a Doctor, your 'conditionality' regime is reviewed. If you are fit for work, you are given a tailored commitment by a work coach, based on intensive work search.

The UC service centre may know much more about UC than a Job Centre Work Coach and can make sure you are treated fully in line with UC rules. Job Centre Work Coaches are very likely to just keep seeing people until someone else makes a decision that the claimant does not need to attend a job centre.
    Originally posted by huckster
    I am afraid this isn't correct.

You can have your work related requirements 'switched off' for the first 14 days of producing a fit note but for longer periods they may be switched off but the claimant may also be expected to attend the Job Centre and even take part in work searches if it is deemed appropriate.

Have a read of this:

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2017-0556/24_CC-_Switching_off_work_availability_and_work_related_ activities.pdf

It is important that the OP attends any appointments that they are given as it could lead to a 'sanction' of their UC.

Much depend on the work coach as regards what the claimant is required to do.

Even when on the assessment period of ESA you are required to attend work related interviews and of course if you are in the ESA WRAG group. Only when someone has been assessed and out in the Support Group is there no mandatory requirement to attend work related activities.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 10th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    huckster
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    I stand corrected.

Your link does not work, but this link confirms that a claimant waiting for a WCA would still be within the All work requirements regime, so would need to see Job Centre Work Coach.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/301588/response/743734/attach/4/FOI%204794%20part%202.pdf

Begs the question, as to how a Job Centre Work coach can assess someones capability to work or search for work, better than a GP.

I can see this being tested in a court at some point.
    • tman411
    • By tman411 10th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tman411
    I have been on the phone to DWP several times and my work coach has put a note on my account stating im not allowed phone call appointments and i have to see him in person, he also is ignoring me with the reason of ''he doesn't want anymore correspondence with me?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    I have been on the phone to DWP several times and my work coach has put a note on my account stating im not allowed phone call appointments and i have to see him in person, he also is ignoring me with the reason of ''he doesn't want anymore correspondence with me?
    Originally posted by tman411
    What is happening at your appointments? Are you saying that they only last two minutes and you aren't being made to do any work searches or what?

If going to the Job Centre is making your condition worse then all I can suggest is that your doctor writes a letter to your work coach explaining what is happening - waiting to see psychiatrist/mental health team etc - and attending the Job Centre is making your condition worse and ............................... (whatever is suitable in your circumstances) and asking for telephone interviews

It is likely that your job coach has only seen your fit note (what does it say?) and has no idea of the extent of your illness.

I am not guaranteeing that it will work but it is worth a try.

Would taking someone with you help?
    • huckster
    • By huckster 10th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    huckster
    What about getting GP letter and also phoning UC service centre to get the Case Manager to refer it ? Case Managers can escalate depending on the details. Escalation to a Decision Maker or a Team Leader at the Job Centre.

If someone is that Ill that attending a Job Centre is making their condition worse, then this needs to be escalated.
    • tman411
    • By tman411 10th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tman411
    I turn up, i am made to wait 10-15 minutes even past my appointment time, then he asks me to come over and i am there for no more than a few minutes, he basically shrugs me off saying i will be alright in a few weeks, I'm 22 Years old, i have had jobs in the past but im working on my mental health to become a better person, i'm not one to lie and sponge and basically play on my health just to get ''benefits'' if im honest i don't even care for the benefits it would be a bonus, i just want my work coach to listen to me and stop forcing me into doing something that is going to clearly make my health deteriorate.
    • tman411
    • By tman411 10th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tman411
    Also my doctor has told me to tell my work coach to ring her so she can speak to him and he has rejected it.
    Just like im being rejected a new work coach?
    • tman411
    • By tman411 10th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tman411
    I have put a complaint into DWP about how i am being treated, in his words ''People like you can't just sit around anymore, i fit note doesn't mean anything''
    I have been on the phone to them and nothing has been resolved it feels as if he is trying to bully me off universal credit, its disgusting, people out there that play on it get help, the people that actually need help do not get it.
    • Fluffybunny80
    • By Fluffybunny80 20th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Fluffybunny80
    That's awful OP and this should not be happening to you.
    I also suggest ringing the main phone number and also seeing your GP about all of this.

Clearly UC has many holes in it that need sorting before going fully national and compulsory for everyone
    I've been lucky and moved house within same authority so got to choose and have stayed on old style esa/pip but in 2022 everyone will be forced on it unless something happens before then

I really hoped Theresa May and the new cabinet would scrap it when Osborne and Cameron went but no such luck!
    • Fluffybunny80
    • By Fluffybunny80 20th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Fluffybunny80
    Do let us know how you get on with the complaint
    Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

831Posts Today

7,181Users online

Martin's Twitter