Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingfisher171
    • By kingfisher171 9th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kingfisher171
    Unable to access via normal user name
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    Unable to access via normal user name 9th Feb 18 at 5:06 PM
    For many years, I have been a member of this forum as islandman. Today a pop-up told me that my password had expired after 4000 plus posts i think it said. MSE keep emailing me under another username 20rodwell I cannot ever remember an account of that name, but have to admit there is a connection as we used to live at No20 in the Rodwell area. For whatever reason and despite numerous attempts, I cannot gain access via my usual account and have had to set up a new one, this one. Given that I posted this morning in my old account and yesterday, words fail me what has happened. Hopefully someone holding access to our files will sort this out.
Page 2
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 31,457 Posts
    • 19,864 Thanks
    DCFC79
    OP you manage to sort this out ?

Just choose the forgot password for your Islandman account and change the password that way.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 10th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 4,990 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I've been having problems too. First of all I was asked to change my password, which I did using my password manager, but then the site wouldn't log me on with my new credentials. After that I did the password reset procedure and it still wouldn't let me in.

Its working now and I changed my password but I keep getting logged out. Something is seriously amiss I think.
    • fenlander_uk
    • By fenlander_uk 10th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    fenlander_uk
    I too was bullied into changing my password this morning. Since then I can't access the forums in Opera or Vivaldi, but in Firefox and Chromium everything works normally. I've tried clearing history and cookies, but to no avail.

If it's of any relevance, I use the old green interface.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Feb 18, 9:52 AM
    • 15,764 Posts
    • 133,920 Thanks
    JackieO
    Mine told me that my password was 63 days old which is odd as I have been on this site since 2004 and regularly use it at least twice a day i just managed to get on by using the same password as a new one At my age remembering what happened last year is bad enough

If I have to start changing my password every so often I just won't bother and delete the site.Shame really as its a good site and I enjoy it
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year Three months totals 96.53 April 8.98 . this morning short shop was 5.62 only bought essentials
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 10th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    firefox1956
    I was asked to change my password yesterday.
    So I just put my old password in & confirmed it & it was accepted !!
    Bizarre...........
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 10,832 Posts
    • 7,670 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I was asked to change my password yesterday.
    So I just put my old password in & confirmed it & it was accepted !!
    Bizarre...........
    Originally posted by firefox1956
    Yes, you can reuse your old password. Not a very secure system.

There's a discussion in the Site Feedback sub forum - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791306
    • islandman
    • By islandman 10th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    islandman
    O/P here, back under my usual long-standing user name.

I had told myself, that I would not get to stressed. They would either sort my plea out, or not. If the latter, I was quite prepared to walk away.

Out of curiosity, I looked at my thread posted in protest about the new account I felt I'd been forced into and was greatly encouraged to read that everyone was having a problem, to a degree.

Needless to say, this sort of thing didn't happen "in Martin's day". Since he has handed over the reigns, things have deteriorated in my opinion.

I did note that someone was equally dissatisfied that they were asking if a similar website existed.

All I would say now is this. If they say change your password, do so, but write it down. We are constantly being told not to use the same P/W for our different sites, but clearly you can't be expected to remember them all.
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 10th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    islandman
    Hi

It told me mine was 4015 days old and I had to change it. Tried to change it back to the one I've had for the last 11 years but it wouldn't let me, apparently I need 12 letters, 4 capital letters, 3 numbers, 5 upside down letters and I need to write it in my own blood! WTF! It just logged me off and it took me 20 minutes to log back in and is showing an email address I had 20 years ago!

Have no idea what's going on but this site it losing its appeal more and more every day. Does anyone have an alternative site to use?

CTFG
    xx
    Originally posted by Casperthefriendlyghost
    I share your frustration. I too was shown an email address last used in the year dot. Ideally would update this, but daren't incase it goes tits up again. I have to say, somehow I am back in under my old name, with all the credits that go with it, but managed the PW name change.

My guess is that they will lose a lot of member through this.
    • lollipopsarah
    • By lollipopsarah 10th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    lollipopsarah
    me too, took 3 attempts to get in - grrr
    xx
    • islandman
    • By islandman 10th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    islandman
    Delighted that I have received an email from MSE admin, asking if I am now comfortable with how things have worked out (or words to that effect).
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 10th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Firetastic
    Yes I got that yesterday. So couldn't remember my old password cos I have it set to log in automatically since no one else uses this machine. So changed it and updated my email address. Then I get in and it is acting really oddly like I'd started a new account. It wouldn't let me access my username. Kept saying you do not have the privileges or something.

So I decided to email the team and it seems okay now. Don't know if I was just frustrated and not doing something right. But did read other people were having problems. So felt a bit more reassured that it wasn't just me.

Just checked emails and the forum team have emailed me to say it looks as if I am having no problems with my account.
    Last edited by Firetastic; 10-02-2018 at 7:04 PM.
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 10th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    BigAl94
    Total shambles!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

8,800Users online

Martin's Twitter