Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingfisher171
    • By kingfisher171 9th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kingfisher171
    Unable to access via normal user name
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    Unable to access via normal user name 9th Feb 18 at 5:06 PM
    For many years, I have been a member of this forum as islandman. Today a pop-up told me that my password had expired after 4000 plus posts i think it said. MSE keep emailing me under another username 20rodwell I cannot ever remember an account of that name, but have to admit there is a connection as we used to live at No20 in the Rodwell area. For whatever reason and despite numerous attempts, I cannot gain access via my usual account and have had to set up a new one, this one. Given that I posted this morning in my old account and yesterday, words fail me what has happened. Hopefully someone holding access to our files will sort this out.
Page 1
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 9th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    Everybody seems to be being asked to change their passwords today, even those who've only been here for a month or so, so it's not related to the time since your password was last changed.

If someone was to hack the site and get a list of encrypted passwords, I don't know how long it would take them to decrypt the password and then login as you and steal your details? But I doubt if it would be longer than a week.
    So in order to stay secure, you'd have to change your password every few days at least.

So doesn't really make sense, from a security point of view. If you've got a reasonably secure password that's not used anywhere else, you might as well stick with it.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 9th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    Here, I've just had a thought.
    Wonder if it's related to the issue where punctuation marks were being changed to a string of numbers?

Perhaps someone has been getting in and fiddling about under the bonnet with the site software?
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 9th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 8,878 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    So in order to stay secure, you'd have to change your password every few days at least.
    by emptybox;73856685,
    Spot on.Everything is so hackable these days that I spend the first four hours of every day changing evey password I have on every website I use. By then I'm so tired I turn off my router and gobto sleep. I do the same again next day.

Of course things would be a little more secure if this site actually bothered to provided an https login page...
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 09-02-2018 at 6:08 PM.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 9th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 8,498 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    Mine apparently was 1435 days old so I changed it to password2
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 9th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    I got the same thing thing today. I used this opportunity to make my password even longer.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 9th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 8,498 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    I got the same thing thing today. I used this opportunity to make my password even longer.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Is there a space between even and longer or is it even_longer
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    J B
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    Mine apparently was 1435 days old so I changed it to password2
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

Mine said ...
    <<Your password is 2123 days old, and has therefore expired.
    Please change your password using this page>>

Which I did, but now it's marked all the forums as read so can't tell where I got to!! - why isn't there a raised eyebrows emoji?

• aerostar
    • By aerostar 9th Feb 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    aerostar
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:14 PM
    Firefox says the password change page is not secure - red line through padlock!

Also you do not need to change the password it will accept the original password as the new one !
    • jhe
    • By jhe 9th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    jhe
    Firefox says the password change page is not secure - red line through padlock!

Also you do not need to change the password it will accept the original password as the new one !
    Originally posted by aerostar
    it wouldn't accept my usual password. I tried all ways . had to change the password
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Feb 18, 9:34 PM
    • 9,080 Posts
    • 13,980 Thanks
    worried jim
    I did wonder if it would just be me, clearly not. Thought it was strange after 3440 days to be asked to change.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    If someone was to hack the site and get a list of encrypted passwords, I don't know how long it would take them to decrypt the password and then login as you and steal your details?
    Originally posted by emptybox
    What details are they going to steal?

This is a discussion forum, not a bank.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 9th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    Robisere
    Spot on.Everything is so hackable these days that I spend the first four hours of every day changing every password I have on every website I use. By then I'm so tired I turn off my router and go to sleep. I do the same again next day.

Of course things would be a little more secure if this site actually bothered to provided an https login page...
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Exactly! Firefox tells me about this every time I access the Forum.

I was also asked for my password "...after 161 days..." I looked it up in Firefox Tools - Options - Security and used the only saved password there. It refused to recognise it so I used "Forgot Password" option, received another, and changed it back to another.

Anyone prepared to tell us mugs what is happening? Anyone prepared to change the site address to something actually secure, as in https:// ?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • mummytummy
    • By mummytummy 9th Feb 18, 10:45 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    mummytummy
    it wouldn't accept my usual password. I tried all ways . had to change the password
    Originally posted by jhe
    Same here, said mine was 467 days old and had to change it
    Sealed Pot Challenge No.11 #11
    MFiT-T4 #62 (74% of $50k saved)
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 9th Feb 18, 11:57 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Is there a space between even and longer or is it even_longer
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    I need to change it again now!
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 10th Feb 18, 1:14 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    emptybox
    What details are they going to steal?

This is a discussion forum, not a bank.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Well they could put together your email address with your username, and maybe find you elsewhere, especially if you reuse passwords.

But not worth any great hacking effort for a discussion forum, as you say.
    • Casperthefriendlyghost
    • By Casperthefriendlyghost 10th Feb 18, 4:43 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    Casperthefriendlyghost
    Hi

It told me mine was 4015 days old and I had to change it. Tried to change it back to the one I've had for the last 11 years but it wouldn't let me, apparently I need 12 letters, 4 capital letters, 3 numbers, 5 upside down letters and I need to write it in my own blood! WTF! It just logged me off and it took me 20 minutes to log back in and is showing an email address I had 20 years ago!

Have no idea what's going on but this site it losing its appeal more and more every day. Does anyone have an alternative site to use?

CTFG
    xx
    Last edited by Casperthefriendlyghost; 10-02-2018 at 5:01 AM.
    LBM Feb 09 64 427.32 13 700.59! Sub 15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec 40.00 SSF 00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) 13.59 SSF 00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 10th Feb 18, 5:48 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    glennevis
    Bet there are a few red faces in the systems team when they realise what they've inadvertantly changed to cause this to happen.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 10th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,465 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Mine was 361 days yesterday. I admit I had no idea what my old password was, I never actually sign out!!! Then tried and found yes it was what I had a vague memory of. Just kept my old password as the new one and back in I came.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 8,498 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    The cynic in me says "Has MSE been hacked or had its database compromised?"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,303Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin