Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 9th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 19Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    4 Final Interviews no job offers
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    4 Final Interviews no job offers 9th Feb 18 at 5:06 PM
    I was looking for some helpful advice or feedback please to calm my paranoia; over the past 12 months I have had 4 final interviews for the roles I have applied for which have all resulted in no job offer being made, summary as below:-

1. Final interview with Amazon, didn't think I did myself justice on the day, was interestingly interviewed by an old line manager I had for about 3 months 10 years ago. Amazon offered no feedback on request.
    2. Competitor to the current business I work in, went for final interview and meet the team session, again interestingly one of these staff was an ex engineering manager I used to work with about 10 years before, feedback was that they had no doubts I could do the job but they questioned my ability to take the site to the next level.
    3. Bespoke plastic company, had final interview again, was asked to provide references before a job offer was considered; a week later no references had been taken and subsequently told by HR that I did not have enough experience in a certain area for them to progress my application despite this being evident from my CV and interviews from the start of the process.
    4. This week food manufacturer had final interview with Site Director/HR function, feedback today via agency was that I didn't have enough experience in a certain area for them to make a job offer. I told the agency that this had been apparent from day 1 as per Interview number 3 above which they agreed with but fedback they could only inform me what HR had told them.

I am mainly applying for manufacturing management roles.

All of the above have been 4 successive final interviews without any success; I am now getting paranoid that there is something else which is deciding the companies not to make job offers rather than my interview technique and that they are not willing to divulge this information for fear of litigation or other reasons so instead making "false" reasons to reject my application.

Would appreciate some thoughts and balance to my own opinion
    Last edited by westbridgfordguy; 09-02-2018 at 5:08 PM.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 5,855 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    What is your current job? Is it possible you are aiming a little bit too high based on your current responsibilities and experience (based on interview 2 saying they didnt think you could take it 'to the next level)

Sometimes you can be absolutely amazing in an interview, but if someones better than you it doesnt really matter for much. In my old work I was on revolving FTC and desperately wanted a permanent contract. I interviewed many times, and every time someone came along who interviewed better than me, said the right things, got all the 'buzz words' ticked off. 9/10 they couldnt actually do the job and I ended up training them and helping them with things which annoyed me, as they were permanent and therefore had additional benefits over me. Eventually I gave up and realised my face would never fit there, despite working there for 3 years!

so interview 1: You say yourself you didn't do yourself justice, so youve learned your lesson from that.

Interview 2: How could you have shown them vision and ideas for what they COULD do with their company. This can be tricky as you dont want to slag off their current practice whilst suggesting improvements!

Interview 3: It is annoying but these things happen. Ive been for interviews too where something has been glaring obvious from my CV that I didnt have, yet be told that was the thing they wanted. Maybe they didnt expect some of the applicants to have it, and maybe 3/4 did in the end and they decided that actually we do think our new employee should have this. Job roles can change throughout the interview process, which is annoying to you but its just one of those things.

Interview 4: Similar to above, with the added element of agency? Are you currently working for an agency? Are you only applying to jobs through agencies? This isnt a definite but something I have come across before, but agencies charge companies finders fees which can be hefty. If they have a candidate who is independent and a candidate who is agency, they may favour the independent... Unless the agency is finding you things youd never find without them, Id consider looking for jobs independently.

Only you know if there is something else lurking which is putting them off. 4 interviews without success isnt that bad! When I was younger I got every job I ever interviewed for, but as soon as I graduated at was applying for 'proper' jobs those rejections came thick and fast!
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 8,376 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    For the two jobs where you were interviewed by ex colleagues how was your relationship with them? If they viewed you as a valued employee at the time I'd imagine this would work massively in your favour. Similarly if they had negative opinions of you there's little chance of you getting the job.

As noted most companies will either refuse to give you feedback or lie. This is probably to avoid any legal issues or just to stop you arguing back. It's not really worth it for them when they get nothing back for it. Could be a hundred reasons you didn't get the job, maybe someone else better came along or maybe they just didn't think you were the right fit.

Also I second the above, are the jobs you're applying for a promotion compared to your current position?
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 9th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    If you want to work on your interview & presentation skills (and with all due respect, most people could probably improve on these areas), there are various local groups that could help - this may or may not help you succeed in your next interview for the reasons others have noted, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 9th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 6,466 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    How many people get through to final interviews in these roles? If they are interviewing four or more people then statistically speaking not getting four in a row is not surprising.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Detroit
    • By Detroit 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Detroit
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    Obviously, far more people attend final selections than get the job on offer.

Not being selected doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, or that anything's 'going on', just that for that job, on that day, you were unlucky enough to be up against someone the panel preferred.

Maybe the companies would have been happy to have you had their dream candidate not also applied. Who knows?

If there was some underlying reason for your lack of success, I think with a little reflection, you'd know.

You've been interviewed by two previous managers. Did this worry you at the time, or did you think their experience of you would be a good thing?

Can you think of anything that might appear in a reference that would damage your chances?

Only you know the answers, so only you are in a position to assess if you're being paranoid or if your suspicions may have grounds.

Put your hands up.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,956 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    I got a new job 4 months back. It took 8 interviews to get there! I was looking for a more senior role and so I guess I needed someone to see some potential rather than rely on proof I'd done it before.
    I think you had some bad luck. Not easy if you used to work with the hiring managers! Many interviews are based on scoring. It might be someone scored just 1 or 2 more than you. Doesn't mean you did badly.
    Keep positive. Don't get to the point you unintentionally act desperate. My main tip is ensure you have lots of examples up your sleeve. Even if they don't ask for examples ask if you could tell them about a time you did x. Good luck!
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 10-02-2018 at 9:55 AM. Reason: T
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 38,598 Posts
    • 35,306 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    For the two jobs where you were interviewed by ex colleagues how was your relationship with them? If they viewed you as a valued employee at the time I'd imagine this would work massively in your favour. Similarly if they had negative opinions of you there's little chance of you getting the job.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Although you do have to wonder why previous colleagues didn't veto prior to interview, unless they didn't have the authority.

Back in the days when I was occasionally involved in interviews, a manager I was shortlisting with said "oh yes, I've worked with this one before, we probably ought to see them."

This person gave almost completely useless answers, and I was left wondering why we were interviewing. Afterwards the manager said they felt we ought to interview this person, even though personally they had no desire to work with them again ...

Ho hum.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 10th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    StevenB12
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    I've had about 3 final interviews where I got down to the last 5 or so people out of 100 or so that applied and at times it really has just come down to the fact that one has had more experience, or the other persons face was a better fit and may have clicked better with the interviewers at the time.

I try not to take it personally, it's still a hit when you wanted the job obviously but keep looking on. Take it as a positive that you can bet that when you made it down to the final interviews, you beat a lot of people to get there. Just a case of finding the right one and the right interviewer as well.
    • techra02
    • By techra02 11th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    techra02
    I can sympathise with you it can be very frustrating. I have been in a similar position, however in my position it get's re-advertised which means I can't fall back on the fact someone else was better on the day. I have no choice but to keep persevering, asking for constructive feedback and trying to reflect on my interview technique. I am afraid too that some organisations prefer younger candidates the 'age discrimination act' was brought in for a reason. The job centre do offer quite a number of courses to help such as Routes to Work etc. I am trying to make it positive by up-skilling myself - it does sometime make it hard though. Good Luck
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 3,894 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    In my experience the first round of interviews are generally about you in isolation - have you got the necessary baseline skills, qualifications, potential etc to do the job. This you can work on. There's also the intangible "does your face fit?" which there's nothing you can do about, so don't worry about that.

In the next stage, it's about how you compare to the others they've also selected - are you more or less skilled, qualified, experienced, have potential than the rest? You can't do anything about this, as you can't control who else applies. So don't worry about it. Finally, there's the question about who they'd rather work with, spending all day in an office with, have a drink after work with, even being stuck in an airport on a layover with. Again, this is nothing you have any control over, so don't worry about it.

You won't like, or even get on with everyone you meet in your personal life, and exactly the same holds true about your working life. I think you've had a bad run, but at least you're getting both first and second round interviews, so not all is lost - to a certain extent it's a numbers game, so one of them will work out, and that's all it takes. Good luck.
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 16th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    Make that 5 in a row now. Had final interview this Tuesday again for another role, was told would receive feedback by end of week by Thursday knew they were offering job to other candidate and got phone call first thing this morning to confirm.

Feedback was I did nothing wrong and they couldn't highlight anything I could have done differently and said that there were 15 candidates which were whittled down to the last 2 one of which was me which makes it all the more disappointing.

This is now about 15 months going through unsuccessful interviews getting to last stage and failing, as I am not being given anything constructive to focus on am getting extremely despondant.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Feb 18, 9:37 AM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Smodlet
    You don't say if you are currently working and looking to change jobs or whether you are unemployed at the moment. If the latter, could you perhaps find some voluntary work to do? Doing something always looks better to an employer than doing nothing. It also keeps your CV up to date and can do the same for your skills.

Five knock backs is nothing, believe me and, like everyone else on this thread, I do know how you feel. It is hard not to become despondent but you know what ultimately makes the difference between getting a job and not getting it? Being the one who absolutely would not quit, that's what. Keep on keeping on, keep the faith and, sooner or later, you will be the last one standing. It may take a long time but if you stop trying, it will never happen.

Try writing down a list of your attributes, all the things you know are good about yourself (not your looks unless you are trying to be a model ) You could start with tenacious, providing you don't quit.

Good luck and HTH. I look forward to reading you have found your dream job.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 16th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 3,894 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Make that 5 in a row now. Had final interview this Tuesday again for another role, was told would receive feedback by end of week by Thursday knew they were offering job to other candidate and got phone call first thing this morning to confirm.

Feedback was I did nothing wrong and they couldn't highlight anything I could have done differently and said that there were 15 candidates which were whittled down to the last 2 one of which was me which makes it all the more disappointing.

This is now about 15 months going through unsuccessful interviews getting to last stage and failing, as I am not being given anything constructive to focus on am getting extremely despondant.
    Originally posted by westbridgfordguy
    So, again, you got to the last 2 - at which point you would have faced the same odds if they just flipped a coin.

Maybe, just maybe, there isn't anything that you're doing wrong and you've just been unlucky thus far. One of these times, the coin will land on the other side, your face will fit, whatever, and you'll be offered the job.

But get despondent, go in determined that you'll fall at the final hurdle, and guess what?!? - it'll probably happen.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I've just watched "The Job Interview" on Channel 4; might be worth a look. It is so glaringly obvious who is going to get the job from about two minutes in. If nothing else, it might cheer you up. Some of the candidates are so unsuitable it is laughable, e.g. a straight bloke who has probably never worn make up in his life applying to work for cosmetics firm... Gotta wonder how he'd look in sparkly lip gloss.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 16th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    You don't say if you are currently working and looking to change jobs or whether you are unemployed at the moment. If the latter, could you perhaps find some voluntary work to do? Doing something always looks better to an employer than doing nothing. It also keeps your CV up to date and can do the same for your skills.

Five knock backs is nothing, believe me and, like everyone else on this thread, I do know how you feel. It is hard not to become despondent but you know what ultimately makes the difference between getting a job and not getting it? Being the one who absolutely would not quit, that's what. Keep on keeping on, keep the faith and, sooner or later, you will be the last one standing. It may take a long time but if you stop trying, it will never happen.

Try writing down a list of your attributes, all the things you know are good about yourself (not your looks unless you are trying to be a model ) You could start with tenacious, providing you don't quit.

Good luck and HTH. I look forward to reading you have found your dream job.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Thanks for the reply, I was made redundant in September 2016 and took on a role 2 levels down from the position I had been operating in as opposed to be on the dole. There's no likelihood of any progression within my existing company my boss has no intentions of moving from his role as he is quite content with his current level.

I'm starting to become very worried as every company I unsuccessfully interview for removes this company from the list in future and there is only a finite number of companies I will be able to apply to. I'm also being restricted by the fact I'm on a 3 month notice period which is ridiculous for the level I'm operating on I went for an interview this morning and they want someone to start in April I was honest enough to mention my notice period but this will be used as an exclusionary factor so not expecting to hear back.

Apologies if I sound like I'm whinging, thanks for the advice again
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I wonder if the notice period is the only reason you did not get those other jobs. Is there no room for negotiation with your present employer on that? Three months is an unconscionable time to wait for a new employee to start unless they are a nuclear physicist or some such, I would have thought. Strongly suggest you broach this subject. If you are afraid of them knowing you want to leave, does your employer really have no idea? You seem so unhappy; they must know the job you have with them is below your capabilities and that you are unlikely to stay if you have no prospects.

I don't understand why you think one knock back is a door permanently closed. Why should you not reapply to the same companies, especially if you were down to the last two? Maybe one of them will find the person they took on does not work out and call you, who knows? You really cannot learn that much about a person in an interview, after all. Don't give up!
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 6,566 Posts
    • 8,530 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I don't think getting turned down removes you from that company in future. Sometimes you're not the best fit for the specific role you are interviewing for but you may be the best fit for the next role which comes up.
    In fact, if you want, you can explicitly say to companies when they tell you didn't get the job that you would like them to keep your details and bear you in mind should any future opportunities arise.
    I can think of at least 2 people in my office who we employed the second time they applied.

In one case, the first time they didn't get the job because we had another equally strong candidate - we went for the other candidate in part because they had applied directly so there was no recruiters fee to pay, and as both candidates were equally good, it made sense to save 6,000!
    In the other case, they were a good candidate but didn't have as much experience as we wanted, and we had another candidate who had that experience. When we had a similar role open a year later they reapplied and were taken on. At that time, they obviously had another years experience but also there wasn't another, stronger candidate tht time.

Obviously if you had a bad relationship with one of the old managers or think there is a personal reason why they won't consider you, don't reapply, but otherwise there is absolutely no reason *not* to reapply.

Since you are getting interviews and getting through to second/final interviews it sounds as though your CV and cover letter, and the way you present in interviews, are all good.

I do sympathise. I went through a period when I was job hunting during a period when jobs in my sector were very scarce, and it is very hard to stay positive and not to take the rejections personally.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 6,566 Posts
    • 8,530 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I wonder if the notice period is the only reason you did not get those other jobs. Is there no room for negotiation with your present employer on that? Three months is an unconscionable time to wait for a new employee to start unless they are a nuclear physicist or some such, I would have thought. Strongly suggest you broach this subject.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    I think this depends a lot on the job. In my sector, 3 months is standard and anyone recruiting knows that that's likely to be the case. For more senior people it can be 6 months.

however, if it is *not* standard in your industry then it's worth taking into account, and considering whether your employer is likely to be prepared to agree a shorter period if /when you do give notice.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I think this depends a lot on the job. In my sector, 3 months is standard and anyone recruiting knows that that's likely to be the case. For more senior people it can be 6 months.

however, if it is *not* standard in your industry then it's worth taking into account, and considering whether your employer is likely to be prepared to agree a shorter period if /when you do give notice.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss

The OP stated, "I'm also being restricted by the fact I'm on a 3 month notice period which is ridiculous for the level I'm operating on". Now, I have no idea whether this is fact or merely the OP's opinion but chose to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,780Users online

Martin's Twitter