Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Username100
    • By Username100 9th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Buying a home as a part of a sepperation
    • #1
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    Buying a home as a part of a sepperation 9th Feb 18 at 4:38 PM
    I would like some advise on buying a property for my X partner as part of our amicable separation.
    I can not make head nor tail of the legal situation regarding the First time buyer scheme..
    I have owned my own home and some rental properties for many years, my partner has lived with me for 7-8 years now but sadly we are going to separate, She is not on my title deeds and has never owned her own home and has never owned one with anyone else.. Is it possible for me to gift her the money for the property and would she still be able to claim for zero stamp duty as the property is 275k saving circa 5-7.5k...
    Any advise would be gratefully received...
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 25,182 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:23 PM

    Who counts as a first-time buyer?
    Anyone who hasn't owned a property before anywhere in the world, whether bought or inherited.

    You can give your friend the money - you should record the gift with your personal papers for IHT purposes.

    Your friend's conveyancing solicitor will wish to establish the source of the gift.
    • SDLT Geek
    • By SDLT Geek 10th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    SDLT Geek
    • #3
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    First time buyers' relief from SDLT
    • #3
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    So long as the new property is bought by your ex partner so that she alone owns it with you having no share, then from what you say she should be entitled to first time buyers' relief from stamp duty land tax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter