Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hubb
    • By hubb 9th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,832Posts
    • 360Thanks
    hubb
    Self employed - wife wants to do the same
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    Self employed - wife wants to do the same 9th Feb 18 at 3:17 PM
    I am self employed, work from home in my office selling media online. I do my accounts and everything is simple. My wife recently left her job and decided she wants to work from home producing artwork. Initially I suggested her to join me under one income but thinking about it, she would lose her tax relief threshold if she produced work under my name. Therefore, I think it would be a better option for her to work under her own name so she can not be taxed on any earnings under the lowest threshold. As I am not earning very much (around 13K), just about hitting the tax threshold we need all the breaks we can get regarding money.

So her going under her own name (she isn't claiming any benefits/no dependents) seems the best option and all earnings made by her won't be taxed.

is there anything I am missing that some more experienced self employed people are aware of ?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 9th Feb 18, 11:25 PM
    • 15,514 Posts
    • 22,146 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:25 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:25 PM
    I am self employed, work from home in my office selling media online. I do my accounts and everything is simple. My wife recently left her job and decided she wants to work from home producing artwork. Initially I suggested her to join me under one income but thinking about it, she would lose her tax relief threshold if she produced work under my name. Therefore, I think it would be a better option for her to work under her own name so she can not be taxed on any earnings under the lowest threshold. As I am not earning very much (around 13K), just about hitting the tax threshold we need all the breaks we can get regarding money.

So her going under her own name (she isn't claiming any benefits/no dependents) seems the best option and all earnings made by her won't be taxed.

is there anything I am missing that some more experienced self employed people are aware of ?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by hubb
    Your wife can trade under her own name.

You both could trade together as partners.

Either or both of you could trade through one or more LTDs.

Your wife could indeed join you "under one income"; she would become your employee.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 11th Feb 18, 11:55 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 PM
    What we have done is create a partnership, at the end of the year the profit is spilt between the two of us. So it isn't 'one income' as we declare it for tax seperatly, but it is from the same business.

Another way of doing it would be to have her as an employee and pay her a set wage, but I think the above is the best way assuming you don't mind her having a controlling interest in the business.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,821Users online

Martin's Twitter