Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 8,964Posts
    • 21,690Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Password update prompt
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    Password update prompt 9th Feb 18 at 3:09 PM
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 8
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 14th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 4,542 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Yeah, but every FIVE DAYS? Seriously, get a grip
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 15,956 Posts
    • 68,673 Thanks
    Judi
    i got the password reset on my phone browser this morning. Gave up trying to change it on my phone so i came over to my computer where i logged in with ease.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 14th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    I got the password expired after five days message, tried to, it said the new password was too short, lengthened it, it said it didn't recognise the password, try again - on a page WITHOUT anywhere to try again, went back page, requested a password reset, then found I was in anyway.
    This really is not good enough, and expiring passwords after 5 days is ridiculous, and an excellent way of losing users.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 14th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 6,145 Posts
    • 29,488 Thanks
    pineapple
    And what do you think is the benefit of that ?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I am on a lot of sites and this password issue (significant or not) prompted me to check my passwords generally - ie whether I had been a bit lazy - such as using the same one on different sites or easily guessable ones. Hopefully that's OK with you. Dear oh dear.....
    Last edited by pineapple; 14-02-2018 at 9:54 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 9,837 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I am on a lot of sites and this password issue (significant or not) prompted me to check my passwords generally - ie whether I had been a bit lazy - such as using the same one on different sites or easily guessable ones. Hopefully that's OK with you. Dear oh dear.....
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Well if all your passwords were "p$ssword" or "1234" then you really shouldn't need a jog in the same way being poked in the eye shouldn't be needed to get you to go to the opticians once in a while.

But apart from that, on sites like these , one password across all of them is perfectly adequate, so what if your password on MSE is the same as your logons for the Pigeon Breeders, Whippet Racing and Beermat Collecting forums ? Mine are anyway.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 14th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 8,964 Posts
    • 21,690 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi

Sorry for the lack of notice to the password reset – we should have told you, but we didn’t want to draw attention to the spam creators.

We wanted to clamp down on the amount of spam that gets posted to the forum, and one of the many measures taken was to ask everyone to reset their password, and thus help weed out the bots and disposable accounts.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused, but hopefully most managed to easily reset theirs.

If you can’t remember your password you can get a reset link sent to the email you used to register your account.

As an extra measure we’ve also put in place a 90 day time limit for password expiry, and would appreciate your feedback.

We've set up one individual thread and are going to close this thread so we can read everyone's feedback in one place. Could you please feedback on this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73879398#post73879398

Thanks!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

971Posts Today

6,400Users online

Martin's Twitter