Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 8,973Posts
    • 21,731Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Password update prompt
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    Password update prompt 9th Feb 18 at 3:09 PM
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 7
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 14th Feb 18, 6:22 AM
    • 13,033 Posts
    • 41,185 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Iím sure they ARE desperately trying. But why should we be patient when none of the regulators comes back to tell us what is going on.

Weíve had dodgy apostrophes, whole threads going missing, changing passwords TWICE, and yet no proper statement as to why these are all going on at the same time now.

Not good enough.
    Originally posted by chesky

Sorry you feel its not good enough, they are doing all they can.

Just to clarify, the forum team are working hard to address the ongoing problems we have all been having.

Unfortunately these things can take time but they are aware how frustrating it is for everyone and really are trying to resolve them.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • chesky
    • By chesky 14th Feb 18, 6:33 AM
    • 978 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    chesky
    Oh Sarah... it is not up to you to act as their spokesperson. They should be doing it AND giving explanations, which you cannot.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 14th Feb 18, 6:35 AM
    • 13,033 Posts
    • 41,185 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Oh Sarah... it!!!8217;s not up to you to act as their spokesperson. They should be doing it AND giving explanations, which you can!!!8217;t.
    Originally posted by chesky

Board guides are here to try to help the boards run smoothly and help users so I
    am merely trying to reassure people that they are aware of it all and are not ignoring us.

I am sure that the team will update us all as soon as they can.

They are aware of these threads and how people are feeling frustrated.
    Last edited by sarah1972; 14-02-2018 at 6:40 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 14th Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 8,959 Thanks
    wymondham
    Just had to reset after 5 days also.. just in case it helps anyone...
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th Feb 18, 6:49 AM
    • 19,116 Posts
    • 86,182 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I changed my password five days ago which is fair enough. I wasn't expecting to have to change it again today, as it was five days old. Hope this isn't going to be a regular faff.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 14th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    rtho782
    Just had to reset after 5 days also.. just in case it helps anyone...
    Originally posted by wymondham
    Me too. This is retarded.

Even more retarded is that you can just "change" it to the same one anyway.

*Even more* retarded is that MSE Forums are not HTTPS anyway so passwords can easily be captured, especially on any kind of public wifi.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 14th Feb 18, 7:43 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    tomtom256
    Me too. This is retarded.

Even more retarded is that you can just "change" it to the same one anyway.

*Even more* retarded is that MSE Forums are not HTTPS anyway so passwords can easily be captured, especially on any kind of public wifi.
    Originally posted by rtho782
    Yep I also got the five date prompt.

What is the point of changing a password every five days?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 9,046 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Yep I also got the five date prompt.

What is the point of changing a password every five days?
    Originally posted by tomtom256
    It's not very secure, only 5 days ? For maximum security our passwords will require to be changed on every single posting that we make. A minimum 200 character password consisting only of special characters will ensure that evil hackers cannot access all the highly valuable and detailed personal information stored in your MSE account.

Either that or someone at MSE has lost the plot.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 14-02-2018 at 8:09 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Feb 18, 7:51 AM
    • 9,046 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I changed my password five days ago which is fair enough. I wasn't expecting to have to change it again today, as it was five days old. Hope this isn't going to be a regular faff.
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    No, it wasn't fair enough, it was pointless, unless there was a breach of password data which surely MSE would have had to let us know had happened.
    • gemini12
    • By gemini12 14th Feb 18, 8:25 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    gemini12
    Please stop asking us to change our password after 5 days. I cant keep remembering new passwords.
    Make £10 a day challenge May. 81.40/310
    Total for 2013 £858.85/1060
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 56,504 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    gemini It seems to be quite happy if you "change" to the password you were already using......
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 160,707 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I too have just had the 5 day 'prompt' and have re-entered exactly the same password as I changed to 5 days ago and here I am again! This is a less than satisfactory state of affairs but not too huge an inconvenience. I'm guessing there is a technical 'glitch' somewhere in the works and that it will be sorted out (hopefully) in the near future. In the meantime it's not such an inconvenience to take the 30 seconds to sort it out is it?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • _shel
    • By _shel 14th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    _shel
    Please stop asking us to change our password after 5 days. I cant keep remembering new passwords.
    Originally posted by gemini12
    Me neither, epilepsy = cognitive problems. If I can not remember the password I need to change every 5 days I'll just stop visiting
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 14th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 5,409 Posts
    • 17,428 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Aye, me too... the five day password prompt. I can get a book out of the library for longer......

Is the site under attack? Putin? Assange? The Popular Front for the Liberation of Ecclefechan? If this keeps up I'll be expecting the Blessed Martin to tell us how to claim compensation for poor service!

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 14th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Board guides are here to try to help the boards run smoothly and help users so I
    am merely trying to reassure people that they are aware of it all and are not ignoring us.

Originally posted by sarah1972
    They have been being asked the question "Have you been hacked or has there been some other breach of security?" for five days.

They have not provided a straight answer. This is appalling, by any standard.

"Oooh, they are working hard" doesn't cut it. Please remove yourself from this process and leave it to people who know what they are talking about.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 14th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 29,552 Thanks
    pineapple
    Another one who has just had to change her password again because apparently it expired after a whole 5 days.
    The other thing I am finding is that the User Control Panel doesn't
    inform me of new subscribed threads when I first log in. At least this business has prompted me to go look at and maybe change the passwords on other sites where I am registered. Sigh...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 52,817 Posts
    • 207,600 Thanks
    beanielou

Originally posted by sarah1972

Thanks.

At the end of the day I think we all need to remember that we get to use this forum which is so beneficial to many of us & it does not cost us anything, in fact saves most of us money.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • hunters
    • By hunters 14th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 754 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    hunters
    I canít remember what I did yesterday let alone five days ago
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 14th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 29,552 Thanks
    pineapple
    They have been being asked the question "Have you been hacked or has there been some other breach of security?" for five days.

They have not provided a straight answer. This is appalling, by any standard.

"Oooh, they are working hard" doesn't cut it. Please remove yourself from this process and leave it to people who know what they are talking about.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    A bit harsh but I agree. Except I would say there has been no answer - never mind no straight answer. It's enough to make one paranoid All that is needed is an answer as to whether there has been a data breach or not.
    If it is purely down to a technical glitch then just say so.
    If they honestly don't know, then just say so.
    The thing is MSE has always been quick to post about other organisations' data breaches.

Unfortunately when you change your password, you have to supply the existing one. Those of us whose browsers don't store passwords will have to resort to keeping a log - maybe even using good old fashioned pen and paper!
    Last edited by pineapple; 14-02-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 9,046 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Another one who has just had to change her password again because apparently it expired after a whole 5 days.
    The other thing I am finding is that the User Control Panel doesn't
    inform me of new subscribed threads when I first log in. At least this business has prompted me to go look at and maybe change the passwords on other sites where I am registered. Sigh...
    Originally posted by pineapple
    And what do you think is the benefit of that ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,796Users online

Martin's Twitter