Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 9,052Posts
    • 21,861Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Password update prompt
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    Password update prompt 9th Feb 18 at 3:09 PM
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 6
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Feb 18, 12:37 AM
    • 20,468 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'm guessing the forum is not long for this world? Long term existing users will doubtless continue to change their password whenever prompted, but others will not be so likely.

Time to come clean "MSE Andrea", has the site been hacked?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    badmemory
    After 5 days - come on - get real. It's a forum! There is nothing on here that no-one in my real life doesn't know. What the h*** (beginning with an h so you don't know I am thinking with an f, because I am a fairly nice person) is going on?
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 14th Feb 18, 12:59 AM
    • 113,819 Posts
    • 233,254 Thanks
    Quasar
    Got the prompt twice in short succession

Hit refresh and got back in without having to change or confirm or renew my password.

Still, I'm losing patience.
    Originally posted by miriamac
    Interesting. Will try that if it prompts me again.
    We do have freedom of thought. Now all we need is a bit of thought.
    • needaspirin
    • By needaspirin 14th Feb 18, 1:03 AM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    needaspirin
    I'm glad my email is an old defunct @o2 address and my user name and password are not used elsewhere so the information will not be of much use to the N Koreans.

I haven't posted anything derogatory about N Korea anyway.

I THINK
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 14th Feb 18, 1:06 AM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 2,223 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Why are people expected to change passwords after 5 days, it is ridiculous. Please sort out whatever the real reason for this mess is before you start losing members.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 14th Feb 18, 1:13 AM
    • 14,299 Posts
    • 14,257 Thanks
    Nile
    I'm in the same boat. I've just had to change my password because it's 5 days old. Really?

I'm as much in the dark as you are..............and as a member since 2003 it upsets me to see so many issues affecting us.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • koala987
    • By koala987 14th Feb 18, 1:13 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 12,345 Thanks
    koala987
    I think it's totally ridiculous too. Nowhere else asks you to change your password after just 5 days. I fear the forum will lose some members if this continues.
    • boomish
    • By boomish 14th Feb 18, 1:27 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    boomish
    I just had the same 5 days since the last reset & I had to wait a day to get the email! What!!!8217;s going on?
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 14th Feb 18, 1:43 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Ashen
    Ha - had to change my password 5 days ago as it was 3365 days old. Today I had to change it because it was 5 days old.

I'm more amused than annoyed currently, assume it will get sorted and not become a recurring occurence.
    • redux
    • By redux 14th Feb 18, 1:44 AM
    • 18,239 Posts
    • 24,132 Thanks
    redux
    5 days here too. Maybe everyone, I'm starting to guess.

If MSE want to improve resistance to automatic spambots, tune up the captcha mechanism on sign-up.

I said this a few days ago on another thread which was removed, but perhaps they could have read it.
    • winspiration
    • By winspiration 14th Feb 18, 1:58 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    winspiration
    Just had to change mine again too after 5 days - except I changed it to the same password - over an insecure connection still.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 14th Feb 18, 2:19 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    Also got prompted to change my secure and 30 day old password last week and now AGAIN after 5 days.

Joke.
    Last edited by fun4everyone; 14-02-2018 at 2:38 AM. Reason: The silence around a possible site hack is deafening.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Feb 18, 3:35 AM
    • 12,360 Posts
    • 9,401 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Your password is 5 days old, and has therefore expired
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 14th Feb 18, 5:05 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    TheBanker
    I've just had to change my password after 5 days too.

If my online banking service was performing as poorly as this forum is at the moment, MSE would be the first to criticise the bank.

- Absolutely flooded with spam each day
    - Random numbers appearing in posts instead of apostrophes (I don't understand why something isn't done about this)
    - Long standing useful threads vanishing, never to be seen again
    - Forcing people to change their passwords every 5 days
    Make 10 a day challenge: Jan-18: 330 / 400
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 14th Feb 18, 5:17 AM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Tom99
    Ok what's going on? I changed my password last week 'after 380 days' now again to today 'your password is 5 days old please change it'
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 14th Feb 18, 5:44 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    unforeseen
    How to alienate and lose your users.

If you don't know what your doing then stop tinkering and find somebody who does.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 14th Feb 18, 5:45 AM
    • 13,132 Posts
    • 41,397 Thanks
    sarah1972
    The forum team have been made aware and are working on this, please be patient, I know its frustrating ... I have just had to change mine again after 5 days.

They will get us fixed as soon as they can.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Zed42
    • By Zed42 14th Feb 18, 5:56 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    Zed42
    Having to change my password after several years was fine .... but having to do it again this morning, after 5 days is ludicrous and as other's have said over an insecure connection.

C'mon guys get it sorted please ......
    2017:

GC - Jan -

• Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 14th Feb 18, 6:01 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 4,440 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Just had to change mine again too after 5 days - except I changed it to the same password - over an insecure connection still.
    Originally posted by winspiration
    Exactly the same for me. Same password over an insecure connection!

If it happens again I am just not going to bother. I expect other people will do the same.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 14th Feb 18, 6:03 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    chesky
    The forum team have been made aware and are working on this, please be patient, I know its frustrating ... I have just had to change mine again after 5 days.

They will get us fixed as soon as they can.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    Im sure they ARE desperately trying. But why should we be patient when none of the regulators comes back to tell us what is going on.

Weve had dodgy apostrophes, whole threads going missing, changing passwords TWICE, and yet no proper statement as to why these are all going on at the same time now.

Not good enough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

594Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter