Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 8,974Posts
    • 21,733Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Password update prompt
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    Password update prompt 9th Feb 18 at 3:09 PM
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 7,656 Posts
    • 11,156 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    I thought 4028 days was a bit of a random number and wondered why it was chosen as the expiry date for my old password
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Lorian
    Andrea, Is there any reason to force this now - I trust there hasn't been any unauthorised access to user information, password hashes etc?
    • LizB62
    • By LizB62 9th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 41,304 Thanks
    LizB62
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    I've been a member since 2006 and I've never had to change my password before so an enforced password change is definitely new (although not necessarily a bad thing)

I can't remember the exact number of days it said but it was something like 3645 :-)
    • alfiemurphy
    • By alfiemurphy 9th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    alfiemurphy
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    I had to change mine today .
    Only had it for eleven days .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 62,183 Posts
    • 363,944 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    I got that, bit confusing.... changed it and logged in, but it said I'd got it wrong, so did it again, manually - it then told me I'd got my password wrong and try again, but I thought "bugg4h you then, b4st4rds, I CBA with this nonsense".... but, as you can see, I was somehow logged in anyway.
    • Judi2
    • By Judi2 9th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Judi2
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    Oh Andrea its only a forum. Ive had mine 751 days and i dont want to change it.
    • ZenerDiode
    • By ZenerDiode 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    ZenerDiode
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    Oh Andrea its only a forum. Ive had mine 751 days and i dont want to change it.
    Originally posted by Judi2
    Apparently you can "change" it to the same password - according to this post:

Mine too...just changed to the same one and logged in again.
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 18,373 Posts
    • 12,544 Thanks
    molerat
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    So why are you making everyone change their passwords ? Is there something you are not telling us ? A general announcement would have been the sensible thing to do, this just looks suspicious.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Judi2
    • By Judi2 9th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Judi2
    The password you have entered does not match your current one. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!
    Oh i give up!
    • Lomcevak
    • By Lomcevak 9th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 4,167 Thanks
    Lomcevak
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Andrea
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Dear Andrea, you're making people reset passwords with an insecure form
    MFiT-T4#126, 135k to 60k: 53,379/75,000(71.19%), 2017 MFW#11 2,520/12,000 (21.00%)
    30k-in-18#11 12,338.56/30,000 (41.13%)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 16,005 Posts
    • 69,144 Thanks
    Judi
    Well thats half an hour of my life i wont get back. Ive got a spare account too.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 9th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    Dear Andrea, you're making people reset passwords with an insecure form
    Originally posted by Lomcevak
    Does it matter? It's only a forum. It's not a financial account, or email account that could be used to reset other accounts.

Apart from maybe for spamming purposes, nobody is interested in hacking anyone's forum account.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 9th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    keith969
    Hi everyone

Andrea
    Can you confirm or deny whether this site has been hacked and member's passwords stolen?

It's unusual to require a password change after 12 years without a good reason.
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 26,833 Posts
    • 10,786 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    We shall see because i have chosen the same password which worked.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 9th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    mac.d

Would have been sensible to announce this in advance so people know it was coming, and not after the event. And considering its not secure anyway, completely pointless to force everyone to change passwords, so no peace of mind in changing it regularly.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Elona
    I had to change my user name after thirteen years and got a message today that after eleven days I had to change my password.

I kept entering the right thing and the forum would not accept it!!!! Eventually I managed to sort things out after a very frustrating half hour.

What with disappearing threads, apostrophe errors and being kicked off the forum I am getting paranoid.
    • steppevos
    • By steppevos 9th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    steppevos
    why oh why?
    The website is not even using https for the password change page. So all passwords (old and new) are send in plain text over the internet and we can keep using our existing password. So this is a complete non-action.
    I think that MoneySavingExpert may have serious problems with the upcoming Data Protection Legislations coming into force in May this year .
    Well, at least it made me aware that MSE doesn't take security very serious.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 10,836 Posts
    • 7,673 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Hi everyone

Andrea
    Worth noting that your system allows the old password to be reused.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 9th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 22,662 Posts
    • 56,843 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Only 4061 days since I last changed my password for here!!

MSE Andrea please would you respond to the question as to Why Now? It rather suggests that you've been hacked, else you would have issued a warning that this was going to be needed shortly.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real in 2018

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

284Posts Today

3,383Users online

Martin's Twitter