Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 9th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    MSE News: Most users need less than 3GB per month
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    MSE News: Most users need less than 3GB per month 9th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    Around two-thirds of mobile phone customers use less than 3GB of data every month, a poll of MoneySavingExpert.com users has revealed - despite mobile networks increasingly pushing high-data deals...
    Read the full story:
    'Don't fall for mobile firms pushing high-data deals - most users need LESS than 3GB a month'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 15-02-2018 at 2:29 PM.
Page 1
    • aj23
    • By aj23 9th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    aj23
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    Hardly any offer 250, 500 750 mb.

I'm on 500mb on o2. Used to be £11 (new customers now £13) but I got them down to £6. They used to do a 250mb which was ideal for my Mum but they got rid of it. I even remember 100mb.

You can get 2.25gb on ID Mobile for £5, and 3 Mobile are doing 12gb for £14. o2 are the most espensive for that they actually offer.
    Last edited by aj23; 11-02-2018 at 5:58 PM.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    The story is misleading, 4G smart phones can use a lot more than 3GB/month... Anyone signing up to a deal from scratch needs to make it clear to their network that they are not sure how much data they might use and perhaps start off with a small data allowance on the understanding that (a) it will be capped so they can't run up a large bill and (b) that they can increase the amount at the end of the first bill or two.

There is little point in having 4G networks and then not using data... isn't that the purpose of a 4G phone?
    • fozmcfc
    • By fozmcfc 10th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    fozmcfc
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    I have a 20gb deal and use between 15gb-18gb of 4g generally.

I tether most of that to my laptop, over a couple of weeks, when away from home and in a location, where there is no wifi connection available.

If I had a wi-fi connection, then I reckon I wouldn't use more than about 5gb a month, probably nearer to 3 or 4.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 10th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 38,596 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    I've been paying £5 per month (on a 1 month rolling contract) for about 18 months and this includes 2GB which is plenty for me, as although I use my iPhone for 10+ hours per day (including 6+ hours of streaming every day), I use it via wifi most of the time.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    1GB and have never gone over, mostly use WIFI when I can.
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 10th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 11,067 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    Im on 30GB and ideally would want 50GB.
    Choose life
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 11th Feb 18, 4:48 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:48 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:48 AM
    I get 2gb data on 3 sims for £6 each on VM after I phoned them and told them about The 1D deal.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    The story is misleading, 4G smart phones can use a lot more than 3GB/month
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    It's not misleading at all since the point they're putting across is that a lot of people are paying way more than they need. I'm on 1.5GB but have never gone over 0.5GB since I use WiFi at home & work generally (when I can even be bothered turning WiFi on). But I only pay £5 a month so would struggle to find anything less.

Your statement that 4G phones "can use more than 3GB/month" is nonsensical at best as a 1G phone could potentially do that. There's probably not enough minutes in the month to do that on 1G but my point stands for 2G & 3G at least.

There is little point in having 4G networks and then not using data... isn't that the purpose of a 4G phone?
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    No, the purpose of 4G is to get access to the data (regardless of amount) quicker and to allow for the increase in numbers of users.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 6,287 Thanks
    pmduk
    Not everybody has access to wifi at home and work. Stories like this regularly get rehashed and always ignore the point that itis financially prudent to buy a buffer of data you don't use, rather than paying the penalty of using out of bundle data. (The same applies to minutes and texts) .
    • Brauenite
    • By Brauenite 12th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brauenite
    Stories like this regularly get rehashed and always ignore the point that itis financially prudent to buy a buffer of data you don't use, rather than paying the penalty of using out of bundle data. (The same applies to minutes and texts).

Absolutely.
    I have a 30gb allowance for this reason and because it was £2 more expensive than my 12gb allowance.
    my usage fluctuates from around 5-8gb average to around 15-20gb when there is live cricket on BT sport, so much better to pay for 30gb all the time than the crazy penalty fees when it goes over, also much less stressful not having to worry about it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Stories like this regularly get rehashed and always ignore the point that itis financially prudent to buy a buffer of data you don't use, rather than paying the penalty of using out of bundle data. (The same applies to minutes and texts).

Absolutely.
    I have a 30gb allowance for this reason and because it was £2 more expensive than my 12gb allowance.
    my usage fluctuates from around 5-8gb average to around 15-20gb when there is live cricket on BT sport, so much better to pay for 30gb all the time than the crazy penalty fees when it goes over, also much less stressful not having to worry about it.
    Originally posted by Brauenite
    "5-8gb average" won't be your average though if you're using 15-20gb when live cricket is on, that's just your lower end usage. You're actually doing what the article suggests, you just happen to be a heavy user. You may be better off depending on what you're paying and current costs in taking something like a Plusnet sim as it's rolling monthly rather than 12/18/24 months fixed term.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 12-02-2018 at 9:50 AM.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 19,046 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I use less than 3 gig most months .... but pay for 4.
    However when I am away where I don't have access to wifi, I use all of it!
    But I would rather have a buffer so that I am not having to pay for extra on the other months in case i do go over.

It only takes one app doing something odd and you can eat through data quite quickly.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 12th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 38,596 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    I keep mine at a low amount, because it is enough 10 or 11 months of the year and then on the 1 or 2 months I need more (like if I am going away) then I just buy an extra amount in advance (so I never get penalties for going over my allowance), which works out much cheaper for me than having extra every month. I avoid going over my monthly allowance by keeping an eye on it and/or using a cap on my account. This ensures I cannot get any extra surprise charges on my bills.

I switch my mobile data off if I am not wanting to use it for a while and I have changed all the settings on my phone, so that no apps etc. can accidentally use mobile data for updates or non-essential features (just set the app to WiFi only etc.), which keeps usage to a minimum (and maximises WiFi use), so I have not had any surprises
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 12-02-2018 at 6:18 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,760Users online

Martin's Twitter