Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toniq
    • By toniq 9th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 28,402Posts
    • 620,783Thanks
    toniq
    Just been forced to password reset on MSE
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    Just been forced to password reset on MSE 9th Feb 18 at 2:47 PM
    Your password is 3850 days old, and has therefore expired.

Please change your password using this page.

I couldn't access comps board till I did it.

x
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!!!!

Page 2
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 9th Feb 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    So you are prompting millions of users to change their passwords on an insecure site and then log in while getting the message 'this site is not secure'.

Why (or why not)?
    • GibbsRule No3
    • By GibbsRule No3 9th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    GibbsRule No3
    No! I won't be having a nice weekend. I will admit I don't change my password, no idea what it was and now no way of getting it back because I no longer have the email account I signed up with. Guess it means eight years of being GibbsRule No3. goes out the window as I will have to sign up again. That name has seen me through a DMP so I am rather attached to it.

In fact they gave me a badge for the 8 years the other day. I guess I'll lose my Paddle No 21 as well.
    Last edited by GibbsRule No3; 09-02-2018 at 4:02 PM. Reason: remembered to add more things.
    Paddle No 21
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 9th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 57,687 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Me too #nuisance
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 12,340 Posts
    • 9,384 Thanks
    fatbelly
    4675 days for me. I guess I shouldn't be proud of it but is that a record?
    • shellsuit
    • By shellsuit 9th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 23,017 Posts
    • 41,912 Thanks
    shellsuit
    Mine was only 44 days, I wondered what happened so I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 9th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Yes, me too. I can't recall it ever happening before.
    • wibblewibble
    • By wibblewibble 9th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    wibblewibble
    Yup me as well 3000 odd days unchanged but it wouldn't let me reuse my old one as it was "too weak" its been perfectly fine for all those 3000+ days though. I had used an email account I can no longer access so had a LOT of faff to try and reset it but eventually it let me change the email address at the same time as updating the password - which come to think of it wasn't exactly a secure thing if I was someone trying to hack my account now was it? But at least I'm all back in at last.
    Win's so far: Cadburys Mini Eggs 1.09 Pentel Goody Bag 10 , M&S Luxury Hamper 45, 10,000 Tesco clubcard points (100)
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 9th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    emptybox
    They must have been hacked I suppose?
    I don't see any other logical reason why everybody should need to change their password.
    • GibbsRule No3.
    • By GibbsRule No3. 9th Feb 18, 5:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GibbsRule No3.
    Had to sign up again, so have lost my 8 years and Paddle No.21. Probably not many paddle numbers left. Really annoyed with MSE.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 9th Feb 18, 5:44 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 3,216 Thanks
    Witless
    Likewise.

Any chance of being told what's going on?

If the site's than insecure then probably time to leave.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 9th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Yep, I had to change mine as well.....was worried it was all above board after the problem the other day with posts going missing etc. Have done it but am a bit worried. Hoping for some reassurance from somebody in the know.
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,226. 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... 1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... 22 /300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • redux
    • By redux 9th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 18,208 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    redux
    Mine said 992 days. Wrong. And it didn't reject the new being same as the old.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 9th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Took me four goes, got on then promptly thrown off again. Wonder what will happen when I try to get on tomorrow
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 9th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    Froggitt
    Your password is 4745 days old, and has therefore expired.

Please change your password using this page.
    Am I the winner? Exactly 13 years my calculator tells me.

Fortunately it let me change it to the same as before, so I dont have to remember another new password.
    illegitimi non carborundum
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 59,014 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I changed mine slightly ("4-thousand-and-something days") updated email address, logged in okay and was using the old green format as usual; then clicked on the next page of the thread I was on, and suddenly I was on the new format. Came onto this thread to see if I could find out what was happening; was suddenly asked to log in again, did so, and now am back on the old format (thank goodness). Goodness knows what's going on
    • GibbsRule No3.
    • By GibbsRule No3. 10th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GibbsRule No3.
    MSE email this morning asking me to try my old password, can only think they did not read my email telling them that the PW I thought it was, was not and that my old email address is no longer accessible. I know it is irrational that I would like the old one back but it did see me through some tough monetary times. Going back as a Newbie is not the same.
    BTW I now see what the apostrophe thread was about.
    Paddle No 21
    • fermi
    • By fermi 10th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 39,487 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    fermi
    MSE email this morning asking me to try my old password, can only think they did not read my email telling them that the PW I thought it was, was not and that my old email address is no longer accessible. I know it is irrational that I would like the old one back but it did see me through some tough monetary times. Going back as a Newbie is not the same.
    BTW I now see what the apostrophe thread was about.
    Originally posted by GibbsRule No3.
    I'll try to alert the team, but it is the weekend.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 10th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    RG2015
    811 days for me which is the number of days since I registered with the MSE forum. The date is on my profile page if anyone think I am a bit sad for remembering that.

I guess that everyone was given the number of days since they registered unless they had changed their password before.

The latest advice is that there is no need to regularly change passwords unless there is a suspicion that they may have been compromised. I suspect that MSE may have either had some security concerns or that this is part of their recent anti spam measures.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 10th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 20,802 Posts
    • 96,359 Thanks
    michaels
    They must have been hacked I suppose?
    I don't see any other logical reason why everybody should need to change their password.
    Originally posted by emptybox
    Yep, seems a very odd thing to do with any preannouncement /warning or done in batches etc. Can't believe a site such as this wouldn't also immediately be open about having been hacked

I know it is hardly the most important website anyone visits but not having a secure server even for password resets is bonkers.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 10th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,341 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I'll try to alert the team, but it is the weekend.
    Originally posted by fermi
    Nice bit of forward planning there!

Force a change of password (no need to be eagle eyed, it's bloody obvious when you can't log in) on a Friday afternoon when they know there will be limited help (to sort out all the crap that will ensue) available over the weekend.

Sometimes I wonder what the forum team are on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,954Posts Today

8,472Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin