Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 9th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 30,588Posts
    • 57,809Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Help for internet in static caravan
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    Help for internet in static caravan 9th Feb 18 at 2:34 PM
    Hi there, hope people can help (words of one syllable please as I know nothing!).

We have a static caravan and I used to pay an amount from a local provider to get broadband internet.

The price has now risen to extortionate levels so I am looking for something else.

I just want to access things like this forum and social media and receive e-mail, I don't want to download movies or play games.

I have got a quote for mobile broadband from Virgin Media, which looks reasonable, but how do i know it is going to work?

Someone has suggested a dongle, how do these work and would it be better?

Or is there anything else that might work but is not too costly?

Thanks, and I hope I've asked the right questions, may need to ask more when I have a few answers!
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 09-02-2018 at 2:57 PM.
Page 2
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 11th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Mister G
    We are not allowed to have high aerials as we are in Snowdonia National Park - our TV works on Freesat. The satellite is only one meter above the ground.

I think it may help if I say that the caravan is sited in a forest under a large oak tree. and surrounded by other trees.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    You may still find that an external aerial mounted on the outside of the caravan would give more signal. Does your mobile show more bars outside?
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 11th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 30,588 Posts
    • 57,809 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    You may still find that an external aerial mounted on the outside of the caravan would give more signal. Does your mobile show more bars outside?
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I have never really noticed. I will make a point of looking next time we go!!

ETA: We have a car parking area (just for our vehicle) opposite the caravan, there is an access road between this and the 'van.. This will actually hold three cars and we have a storage unit on it for my husband's boat stuff. I know the signal is better here. Maybe we could install some sort of arial here? (Although it is still surrounded by trees).
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 11-02-2018 at 2:11 PM.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 13,952 Posts
    • 18,372 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I think it may help if I say that the caravan is sited in a forest under a large oak tree. and surrounded by other trees.
    I found that trees really do kill a signal. It gets worse as soon as they get their leaves back on, and when it is raining. Luckily I have no aerial height restrictions. I am considering mounting the 4G receiver on an oak tree further up the hill and transmitting a Wi-fi signal down to the caravan.

Is it possible to raise the aerial only when you are in it?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 11th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 30,588 Posts
    • 57,809 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I found that trees really do kill a signal. It gets worse as soon as they get their leaves back on, and when it is raining. Luckily I have no aerial height restrictions. I am considering mounting the 4G receiver on an oak tree further up the hill and transmitting a Wi-fi signal down to the caravan.

Is it possible to raise the aerial only when you are in it?
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    The site owners are quite strict because of being in the National Park, I don't think it would be allowed. We would not be able to get it above the trees anyway.
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    We are not allowed to have high aerials as we are in Snowdonia National Park
    Have you spoken to Mr&MrsT in Barmouth?
    He is excellent at this sort of stuff.

• seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 11th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 30,588 Posts
    • 57,809 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Have you spoken to Mr&MrsT in Barmouth?
    He is excellent at this sort of stuff.

Originally posted by J B
    who are they?
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    who are they?
    google?

• seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 12th Feb 18, 2:52 AM
    • 30,588 Posts
    • 57,809 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    google?

Originally posted by J B
    Thanks I have now googled. I thought you meant someone on the forum
    • asdv
    • By asdv 12th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    asdv
    Have you tried the 'OFCOM mobile signal checker' app to find which of the 4 main mobile networks is the best at your location?

That should narrow the field so you can find the best deal (use the piggybacking page https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking)
    Last edited by asdv; 12-02-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 12th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 30,588 Posts
    • 57,809 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    It says they are all OK .

I think we have decided to leave it and just use the free wi-fi in the onsite bar and restaurant and Costa in the town.

But thanks all for your helpful comments, they helped us to make our decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

7,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin