Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vman100
    • By Vman100 9th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Vman100
    Where to put money for the next 4 months...
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    Where to put money for the next 4 months... 9th Feb 18 at 12:39 PM
    So I have sold my house and I now 150000 (deposit for new house) sitting in my bank until our new build house is ready at the end of June.

Obviously I cant invest in anything that has any chance of losing money so I am looking for ideas on what to do with this to get the best return over the next 4 months.

I was thinking rather than open a standard savings account I could take my chance with premium bonds. I am thinking with 3 x 50000 in premium bonds I should have a fair chance of winning at least what I would earn in a standard savings account.

Does anyone have any better ideas?
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 6,796 Posts
    • 7,047 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    Are there three of you to spread 150K worth of Premium Bonds between?

If you'll need the money back in late June, you'd only be able to participate in three Premium Bond draws anyway, so chances are you'd be better putting it into a savings account paying full pro rata interest for the 4.5 months - the FSCS temporary high balances provision would apply to cover the full amount even if all in one account.
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    capital0ne
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    NS&I Investment Bond at 1% will earn you just over 100/month in interest
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,400Posts Today

6,376Users online

Martin's Twitter