Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 9th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 196Posts
    • 89Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Eurostar launches direct London to...
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    MSE News: Eurostar launches direct London to... 9th Feb 18 at 12:31 PM
    A new Eurostar route going directly from London to Amsterdam will launch on 4 April, with tickets from as little as £35 one-way...
    Read the full story:
    'Eurostar launches direct London to Amsterdam train'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 9th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 7,528 Posts
    • 4,269 Thanks
    martindow
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    Unfortunately although the outbound trains will be direct until some time in 2019 the return the journey will be much slower. Passengers will get a train to Brussels where they will need to get off with their luggage to go through customs and then onto another train.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    Make the most of this through service...
    Come BREXIT - Border controls are going to mean STOP and SEARCHES will be common place !!
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 10th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 6,729 Posts
    • 3,629 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    Poor 'ole Eurostar. It's taken 24 years to get this far.

I remember reading all the blurb when the channel tunnel was proposed. What they never saw coming was the low cost airlines not to mention extra security/immigration concerns. (When Eurostar started, they'd walk down the train checking passports.)
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 18,524 Posts
    • 7,679 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    The timings don't work for me and the return passport control should be at Amsterdam.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 10th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 3,541 Posts
    • 2,242 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    Make the most of this through service...
    Come BREXIT - Border controls are going to mean STOP and SEARCHES will be common place !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Why? You go through French (i.e. Schengen) immigration and customs in London (or Ebbsfleet) on the outbound. Then go through British immigration and customs in Paris, Brussels, Lyon or wherever.

It will be no different after Brexit, except passport control might take a little longer and customs rules will be different.

• glider3560
    • By glider3560 10th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,541 Posts
    • 2,242 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    The timings don't work for me
    Originally posted by richardw
    Same for me. They are forgetting that people need to get to/from London. Even where I am, in the central South not far from London, the 22:10 arrival time at St Pancras is going to make it a very tight connection to make the final train of the day back to my home.

• powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 10th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 4,952 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    The timings don't work for me and the return passport control should be at Amsterdam.
    Originally posted by richardw
    It will, in 2019.
    • redux
    • By redux 10th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 18,011 Posts
    • 23,696 Thanks
    redux
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    I saw something a while back about the route possibly being opened up to other providers.

Thus we might have DB running trains from and to Germany. I wonder how that is getting on.

Just looked and found this, a test run in 2010, prospect of London-Frankfurt service by end 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/oct/19/german-trains-test-channel-tunnel
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 6,626 Posts
    • 19,494 Thanks
    Doc N
    Same for me. They are forgetting that people need to get to/from London. Even where I am, in the central South not far from London, the 22:10 arrival time at St Pancras is going to make it a very tight connection to make the final train of the day back to my home.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    I wonder what happened to the original plans to run straight through to the East Coast Main Line?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 6,713 Posts
    • 5,955 Thanks
    KeithP
    I wonder what happened to the original plans to run straight through to the East Coast Main Line?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Just a dream.

No business case.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 11th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    Kite2010
    I bet the number of £35 tickets in that tier will be a token tiny number, with the majority of tickets being sold for more. To allow them to advertise it as "Tickets from £35"
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 12th Feb 18, 12:41 AM
    • 6,729 Posts
    • 3,629 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I bet the number of £35 tickets in that tier will be a token tiny number, with the majority of tickets being sold for more. To allow them to advertise it as "Tickets from £35"
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    Perhaps. But until they sort out immigration, I can see the trains travelling half empty. An inbound journey of about 4 hours where you have to change doesn't seem very attractive compared with flying.

I suppose it might work for people that actually need a single.
    • Mids_Costcutter
    • By Mids_Costcutter 12th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 7,793 Thanks
    Mids_Costcutter
    Perhaps. But until they sort out immigration, I can see the trains travelling half empty. An inbound journey of about 4 hours where you have to change doesn't seem very attractive compared with flying.

Originally posted by chattychappy
    The fastest connections I've found for Amsterdam Centraal - London St Pancras changing at Brussels Midi are 4 hrs 46 mins. Allowing for longer check-in time for air travel, extra travel time from city centre to city centre and waiting for luggage, I reckon that should only mean a slightly longer travel time by rail: extra 15 - 30 mins. Outbound the new Eurostar services would be over an hour quicker and definitely competitive in terms of time with air.

I realise that this is a generalisation and comparison of travel times between air and rail will depend very much on where you live, even if it's within London. Of course some people won't want the hassle factor of changing trains even when it's at the same station and will then still choose direct services i.e. air.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 12th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    Kite2010

Originally posted by chattychappy
    Assuming that Eurostar will sell you a £35 single, as their common tactic is to limit the cheaper fares to returns (for example the £29 each way fares to Paris/Brussels are only available as part of a return fare, if you want just a single you pay extra).
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 12th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 6,729 Posts
    • 3,629 Thanks
    chattychappy
    The fastest connections I've found for Amsterdam Centraal - London St Pancras changing at Brussels Midi are 4 hrs 46 mins. Allowing for longer check-in time for air travel, extra travel time from city centre to city centre and waiting for luggage, I reckon that should only mean a slightly longer travel time by rail: extra 15 - 30 mins. Outbound the new Eurostar services would be over an hour quicker and definitely competitive in terms of time with air.

I realise that this is a generalisation and comparison of travel times between air and rail will depend very much on where you live, even if it's within London. Of course some people won't want the hassle factor of changing trains even when it's at the same station and will then still choose direct services i.e. air.
    Originally posted by Mids_Costcutter
    Wow, longer than I thought, thanks for checking. As always "it depends". Unless your are in first, Eurostar demand you check-in at least 30mins before departure. I think airlines it's about an hour. (I've got away with 10mins on Eurostar and 30mins LHR long-haul..!) From my desk I can be at Gatwick departures in 30mins. I have to allow at least an hour to get to St P. For others the reverse may well be true - though there are more airports to choose from than Eurostar stations.

I've flown alot (low cost and otherwise) and Eurostarred (all classes). If you're in economy, I think I prefer the airlines. Because it's only actually when you're flying you're couped up - perhaps an hour or so within western Europe. The rest of the time you can be in airside cafes, departure lounges etc. On a long Eurostar if you've got kids kicking your seat or babies screaming, it's longer to endure. I also prefer airport waiting areas to the Eurostar waiting area under the tracks at St P or Gare du Nord (can't remember Brussels Midi at the moment). For premium travel, the Eurostar lounges are fine, but airport VIP lounges generally offer more in my experience. On the other hand, if you're in business you get longer to eat your meal on Eurostar than on short haul business. (But Eurostar food really has gone downhill IMHO, even if you're on the £500 return to Paris.) For this reason I miss the very civilised 3 hour ride from Waterloo to Paris. The best trip of all was New Year's Eve - there was some snow in Kent and it looked great. They served pheasant that day.

Assuming that Eurostar will sell you a £35 single, as their common tactic is to limit the cheaper fares to returns (for example the £29 each way fares to Paris/Brussels are only available as part of a return fare, if you want just a single you pay extra).
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    Quite true.
    Last edited by chattychappy; 12-02-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    • Rail Staff
    • By Rail Staff 23rd Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Rail Staff
    Originally posted by Doc N
    The large fleet of carriages were bought back by the builders at a large loss to Eurostar (taxpayers in other words) and eventually sold to ViaRail in Canada where they still work day in day out on routes from Montreal. The Eurostar regional units were purchased by SNCF and some are still in use in France.
    Employee of a National Rail train company.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

657Posts Today

5,495Users online

Martin's Twitter