Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jaydenholt123
    • By Jaydenholt123 9th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jaydenholt123
    Leaving site on Lunch breaks
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    Leaving site on Lunch breaks 9th Feb 18 at 12:15 PM
    At my place of employment I am a first aider and I am being told that as they pay me extra (50) money I am not allowed to leave site when on the first aid rota? Is this right? Can they pay me more but take away my right to leave the building on my lunch break?
Page 3
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Feb 18, 6:59 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I don't need a big long post of nothing to answer this one. If you don't like it, tell them to poke the 50 and go out for lunch as you please. That's the only relevance you need to know.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 10-02-2018 at 8:48 AM.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 10th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    JReacher1
    This why my work has several first aiders. Covers for annual leave, days off, being away for meetings etc.

The 50 payment is yearly. I have been approached several times if I would like to train to be a first aider. I have declined as it's not enough and got a fear of blood
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I think turning this down is a mistake.

At some point in your life you may find yourself in a situation where having first aid skills could save someone you care about life.

If that did happen you would have to live with the fact that because they would only pay you 50 a year you decided not to learn these life saving skills.
    • Detroit
    • By Detroit 10th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Detroit
    [QUOTE=JReacher1;73858847]I think turning this down is a mistake.

At some point in your life you may find yourself in a situation where having first aid skills could save someone you care about life.

If that did happen you would have to live with the fact that because they would only pay you 50 a year you decided not to learn these life saving skills.[/Q

Scarletmarble has a fear of blood. This would make them a poor first aider.

The role is not for everyone and the wrong person could be more of a hindrance.

Sometimes knowing your limits and stepping aside is the responsible thing to do.

Put your hands up.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    My old company sent me away for a weeks course with the St Johns ambulance. I was paid about 25 a month. However we were not allowed to leave site anyway in case of a emergency on the plant. This is a pretty standard rule but it had nothing to do with First Aid cover.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 10-02-2018 at 8:57 AM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I think turning this down is a mistake.

If that did happen you would have to live with the fact that because they would only pay you 50 a year you decided not to learn these life saving skills.
    Originally posted by JReacher1

He is already one!
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 10th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 6,050 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    He is already one!
    Originally posted by scd3scd4

The OP is indeed but the person JReacher1 was responding to is not and said they have a fear of blood.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    The OP is indeed but the person JReacher1 was responding to is not and said they have a fear of blood.
    Originally posted by LittleVoice

I stand corrected.

That said it depends on the course if you are missing out on anything. I suspect if they are paying so little then they are office work based types. You could probably learn as much watching a YouTube video.........hence the crappy amount offered.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 10th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 2,363 Thanks
    nicechap
    Well that's a shame.

I expect there will be lots of innocents taken advantage by unscrupulous bosses thanks to some inadequates carrying grudges from ages ago.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 10th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    JReacher1

Scarletmarble has a fear of blood. This would make them a poor first aider.

The role is not for everyone and the wrong person could be more of a hindrance.

Sometimes knowing your limits and stepping aside is the responsible thing to do.
    Originally posted by Detroit
    Personally I think any knowledge is valuable and if offered the chance to be given first aid training I would take it. Many first aid scenarios do not involve blood e.g. heart attack, choking etc and learning the exact steps to follow in these instances can save lives.
    Last edited by JReacher1; 10-02-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    • skintpaul
    • By skintpaul 11th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 13,036 Thanks
    skintpaul
    firm's responsibility to ensure enough staff on site, with first aid training, to cover breaks, holidays etc.

maybe some exclusions, for special jobs / locations.. ?
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 12th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 5,556 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    I used to be a registered nurse in a nursing home and I had to be present my whole shift unless there was someone else to hold the drug keys. There must be a lot of similar jobs.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 12th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Had a long drawn out argument regards leaving site whilst working in security looking after a care home (being built)..boss said cant leave site as single manned.

But would also deduct hour each shift for lunch..so cant leave site and cant switch off as constant banging/noises etc.

Turns out ACAS was quiet clear in that you can leave site..just means your employer has to have people to cover your absence from your work place,so nice lump agreed and paid.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin