Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 11,927Posts
    • 16,788Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Nail in Tyre :(
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    Nail in Tyre :( 9th Feb 18 at 11:53 AM
    This morning I discovered that I have a nail in the nearside rear tyre of my Disco. It's not in or near the sidewall so I think it can be repaired. I'm gathering a few quotes and so far have had one reply quoting me £49 which seems a bit steep. What do you think? I suppose I could just put the spare tyre on for now.

The MOT last month noted that there is tyre wearing on the nearside front tyre so I am wondering if I might be looking at replacing tyres soon anyway in which case I would just replace rather than repair the other tyre.
Page 2
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 10th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Which piece of legislation makes it illegal?

Not doubting you. Just curious.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    BS AU 159/f. Whilst this particular British Standard is not a legal requirement, it is still likely to be seen as the test of "prudence" or "reasonableness" in a court case. I thought the law was that this BS had to be complied with but confess I can't find any law relating to tyre repair right now that states that.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Feb 18, 9:37 PM
    • 6,844 Posts
    • 5,591 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Local puncture repair £7. Honest guy although he does get grumpy if old alloys need too much work.

He uses a trolley jack and an ancient cordless drill. Very quiet, calm and efficient. Makes kwik fit look like over excited children and drama queens.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 10-02-2018 at 9:46 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • ---lee---
    • By ---lee--- 11th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    ---lee---
    I've had a nail in one of the rear tires of my defender for 3 years. The garage spotted it during an mot and their advice was to leave it alone unless I was losing air as to remove it would damage the tire.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    DoaM
    The repair will be illegal for use on the public highway. Strictly speaking they are meant for off-road only. Just saying.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Which piece of legislation makes it illegal?

Not doubting you. Just curious.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    BS AU 159/f. Whilst this particular British Standard is not a legal requirement, it is still likely to be seen as the test of "prudence" or "reasonableness" in a court case. I thought the law was that this BS had to be complied with but confess I can't find any law relating to tyre repair right now that states that.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    So not illegal then. I was stopped by El Plod during the time I had the car and nothing was commented. (Not that they'd easily notice it). I also had an insurance claim during that period (and we all know insurance will take any excuse they can to avoid paying out), again with no issues.

I'll happily continue to use the tar strings as and when needed TYVM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 11,927 Posts
    • 16,788 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    " The MOT last month noted that there is tyre wearing on the nearside front tyre so I am wondering if I might be looking at replacing tyres soon anyway in which case I would just replace rather than repair the other tyre."

What is the wear pattern? is it just on the inside or outside of the tread, and is the offside tyre showing the same wear pattern? If so, it could be that steering alignment ("tracking") is out. If only one front tyre, and both fronts are same age, that could mean a steering joint has wear: maybe a ball joint or similar.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    I think it's the side of the nearside front tyre that is wearing rather than the tread. Too much rubbing the tyre against high granite kerbs when I'm parallel parking at home in a hurry because someone is up my jacksie.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    DoaM
    Aberdeen ?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 11,927 Posts
    • 16,788 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Aberdeen ?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Aye
    Need more characters
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 15th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 11,927 Posts
    • 16,788 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Update (nothing exciting though)
    Iíve had the nail removed and tyre repaired by the garage who do my MOT and serviced. £14 all in so I am happy with that.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 17th Feb 18, 7:43 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    tastyhog
    tyre plug kit for a few quid.

something like this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/XtremeAutoģ-TRIKE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-STRIPS/dp/B004JFZGRO

yes ignore the these aren't safe claims from knowitall people on forums, they work perfectly fine and was the standard for tyre repairs for years
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 18th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    I have full tyre facilities in my place. Puncture repair is £10+VAT.

Some places will quote inflated prices for types of jobs they donít really want, but will do if someone pays them over the top. Not everyone likes certain jobs, so itís not unusual.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,780Posts Today

8,242Users online

Martin's Twitter