Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 9th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 583Posts
    • 165Thanks
    bikingbarney
    Claiming for car damage a year after incident...
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    Claiming for car damage a year after incident... 9th Feb 18 at 10:59 AM
    Bit of a weird one.......

This time last year someone drove into the side of my year old Octavia and dented and scratched the door.

At that point we were planning on keeping the car for a while so decided to not claim on the insurance and just get the dents knocked out as best as possible.

Whilst it was an ok job you can still see the panel is rippled.

Now we are considering pxing it in against a new car I want to look at getting it repaired properly. Ive had a couple of quotes ranging from £650 to £1000 to do it properly.

I contacted the insurance at the time of the incident so they are aware of it.

Would it be possible to put it through as an insurance claim now after so long or are they likely to tell me to jog on?

I understand it may affect my NCB but any ideas on exactly how much?

The car we are looking at next is a lot less sporty.

Cheers
Page 1
    • uknick
    • By uknick 9th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    uknick
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    Just to be clear, you had a no fault accident and paid for the repairs yourself without going through an insurance company?
    • bikingbarney
    • By bikingbarney 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    bikingbarney
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    Just to be clear, you had a no fault accident and paid for the repairs yourself without going through an insurance company?
    Originally posted by uknick
    Basically someone drove into my car and left the scene without leaving details.

Rather than going through the insurance at the time I had it PDR which removed 80% of the dents and planned on getting it done properly when funds allowed.

Although I did not claim through my insurance I let them know about the incident.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 9th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    could you not just get used door in the same colour

ive have just repaired a skoda fabia needed a new bonnet and front bumper as the car was damaged in the snow bonnet cost me £150 bumper cost £100 all in the same shade of blue, but make sure you get the correct paint code it should be in your service book but if it is not the try the boot wheel well should all be on the little sticker

did the work my self took 2 days, door should be straight forward bolt on bolt off as long as the brackets are un damaged
    Last edited by ratrace; 09-02-2018 at 1:03 PM.
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    facade
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    Now we are considering pxing it in against a new car I want to look at getting it repaired properly. Ive had a couple of quotes ranging from £650 to £1000 to do it properly.
    Originally posted by bikingbarney

Will you definitely get £650 to £1000 more for the px if it is repaired?
    I doubt it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

1,818Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin