Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 9th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 123Posts
    • 64Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Is this a bad time to buy a used diesel?
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    Is this a bad time to buy a used diesel? 9th Feb 18 at 10:36 AM
    I've finally taken the decision to chop in my trusty 14 year old Fiesta Finesse and get something with the luxury of electric windows I've been looking at some Kia Souls, about 3/4 years old so still within the 7 year warranty. Reading reviews, it seems that they'd be a good match for me and my driving habits but DH suggested I look at getting a petrol one due to something he'd heard about the government bringing in financial disincentives for diesel drivers.

Thing is, the diesel Souls consistently get better reviews than the petrol versions. From further research, the diesel thing is only for new cars registered from April? With this in mind, should I be seriously considering getting a diesel or should I steer well clear (pun intended )
    Last edited by Piggywinkle; 09-02-2018 at 1:35 PM.
Page 2
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 8,500 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Is this a bad time to buy a used diesel?
    Only if there is a Monday in the month.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I bought a two year old Dacia Sandaro Stepway in December. 1500cc diesel. I'm getting 55mpg all day, every day, and it's £20 a year to tax.

What's not to like?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 9,136 Posts
    • 14,074 Thanks
    worried jim
    I bought a two year old Dacia Sandaro Stepway in December. 1500cc diesel. I'm getting 55mpg all day, every day, and it's £20 a year to tax.

What's not to like?
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    Smog, asthma?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Smog, asthma?
    Originally posted by worried jim
    As you can see from the road tax I pay, I'ts got very low emissions, and much less than most petrol engine cars around.

And, as I live on the very edge of the countryside and not in a big city, I'm not contributing to the smog and asthma that is around. Most of that is down to buses, lorries and diesel railway engines.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Feb 18, 4:35 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Smog, asthma?
    Originally posted by worried jim
    The emissions from my Euro 5 diesel are lower than a petrol car, especially when it comes to asthma causing particulates. Only a petrol car with direct injection has to match the particulate emissions of a Euro 5 diesel.

With current Euro 6 standard, even the NOx of the diesels has to be within 0.02g/km of that of Euro 6 petrol engines but the diesels have half the CO output.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 12th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    loskie
    Does the "very edge of the countryside" mean you are next to a town?
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Feb 18, 8:08 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Does the "very edge of the countryside" mean you are next to a town?
    Originally posted by loskie
    No. A hamlet on one side, the River Severn on another, and the Wyre Forest on the rest.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    • 9,136 Posts
    • 14,074 Thanks
    worried jim
    As you can see from the road tax I pay, I'ts got very low emissions, and much less than most petrol engine cars around.

And, as I live on the very edge of the countryside and not in a big city, I'm not contributing to the smog and asthma that is around. Most of that is down to buses, lorries and diesel railway engines.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    Itís like Volkswagen never happened. Big river in Egypt!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • redux
    • By redux 12th Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    • 18,107 Posts
    • 23,885 Thanks
    redux
    I don't think this is a bad time to buy a secondhand diesel, and why be swayed too much by a handful of anti opinions here.
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 15th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    So, I test drove a Dacia Sandero Stepway (thumbs down on that one, I'm afraid) and a 2013 Vauxhall Mokka 1.6 Petrol with the Exclusiv trim. I really liked the Mokka so went back the next day and put down the deposit. Full payment and pick up next Wednesday. Happy new car to me and thank you all for your help.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Feb 18, 1:16 AM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    It's a great time to buy diesel!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin