Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 2,680Posts
    • 4,327Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Hot water - can I fix it?
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    Hot water - can I fix it? 9th Feb 18 at 8:40 AM
    We've had ongoing problems with our hot water system - it started between Christmas and New Year, was mentioned to the gas engineer at the annual service on 5th Jan, and was finally fixed last week (we had 5 visits in 5 days, and at one point there were 3 engineers all looking at our boiler and scratching their heads). I have no complaints about how British Gas dealt with us.

However, at some point in all of this, the valve that regulates the flow of water to the taps was twiddled (I believe that's the technical term). When she was finishing off, the last gas engineer asked me to check if the flow was strong enough - I turned on the tap in the utility room, and the one in the kitchen, and it seemed to be OK.

However, having lived with it for a few days, I have to say it's not as strong as I'd like, and not as strong as it used to be, particularly when you're running a bath.

So - is this something I could sort out myself? I really can't face calling them out again, and to be fair it's seems a very minor thing to call them out for if I can do it. And doing it myself would have the added advantage that if I still wasn't happy with it I could keep twiddling until I got it right.

It's a Main Combi 24 HE boiler, about 12 years old.
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 9th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    It sounds like they restricted the cold flow into the boiler, your boiler will heat some many litres of water every minute. If you cold flow into the boiler is fully open the water will flow through the boiler to fast and the water will not heat sufficiently. If you open the cold back up a bit to increase your flow you will effect the temperature of the hot water.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    Yes, I know. But I'm prepared for a bit of a loss in temperature in order to increase the flow a bit. The question is - can I do this myself?

She would have increased it a bit if I'd told her the flow wasn't strong enough to the taps, but at the time I thought it was OK. I'm not talking about putting it up to max. But I do need someone to tell me how to do it!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

906Posts Today

6,100Users online

Martin's Twitter