Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bonny85
    • By Bonny85 9th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bonny85
    Credit card limit
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    Credit card limit 9th Feb 18 at 8:05 AM
    Hi all

I have accidentally gone over my credit card limit - mainly due to an estate agent taking their fee twice (by accident to be fair). Before these payments had been processed I put another purchase on my card which would have been well within my limits had the first transaction not been duplicated.

I am arranging for the duplicate transaction to be taken off and the legitimate transaction from the estate agent and the purchase will be paid off in full well before any payment due dates.

However I am just a bit worried that due to being over my credit limit at some stage in the month (even if only for a few days) will impact my credit rating. Does anyone have any views on this?

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 16,386 Posts
    • 17,438 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    It may be reported as an over limit. If it does, it would be worth speaking to the card customer services to ask them to remove it.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 9th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    engineer amy
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    Has your statement been generated yet?

I had something similar with Barclaycard - I had 2 different cards with them, with 2 different credit limits. I made a large purchase, but mistakenly paid with the card with the smaller limit. The transaction went through even though it was approx. 100 over the limit. I realised a couple of days later when I logged into the account to pay it off and it wasn't on the card that I thought it was.
    I called customer services as I didn't want to mess up all the good work I had done on improving my history. They told me as long as the account was not over the limit at the time the statement was generated, then they do not charge an over limit fee, or report it to CRAs, so by making a payment to clear it ASAP or even just to reduce it below the limit would be fine.
    I cleared it immediately, and there was no evidence of any problem when the statement appeared.

im not sure if all CCs will operate in the same way, but try and get it under your limit asap (and a little bit more if it is an interest bearing card)
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 72330 Feb 18
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • Bonny85
    • By Bonny85 9th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bonny85
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    Thanks for the help. I've put the amount the legitimate transaction would have been onto the credit card and also put a dispute over the duplicate into both the credit card company and the estate agent. The credit card company have put the disputed transaction in a no interest status so hopefully a combination of all of this will mean it won't show on my credit report.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter