Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Feb 18, 6:17 AM
    • 3,091Posts
    • 42,616Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 9th February 2018
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 9th February 2018 9th Feb 18 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 9th February 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, milder but wet underfoot and still raining, blustery too.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, he'll come with me to do the food shopping, then walk from there to the gym.

Dinner last night was a lovely mixed grill type dinner, I visited the butcher after the disaster with the pork chops bought elsewhere and will try to use the butcher as much as possible. I bought 1 x big pack of butcher's sausages, 1 x pack of butchers lincolnshire sausages, a huge bag of liver, and 2 x large pieces of rump steak which the butcher kindly cut in halves to make 4 small steaks, although they were very thick pieces, I served the steak, 2 x sausages, some liver in gravy to those that wanted some, a slice of bacon, chips and peas - went down very well - clean plates all round. The unused sausages were bagged up and are now in the freezer along with the unused liver, so a good stock for another meal. I have been using bits out of the freezer so it's got some pockets of space. Tonight's dinner I'm not sure what we'll be having, but I'll sort that whilst shopping.

Yesterday I got practically nothing done at home due to not being here most of the day - although I did get a couple of loads of washing done, and another is whirling round in the machine at the moment, the dirty wash basket only now has 4 items in it - so not enough to do a wash, but the beds need stripping and the towels need washing so a few more loads will be needed today. I'll do what ironing needs doing once I get back from shopping, then run the hoover round, there's no point doing a big clean as I don't know how much mess the heating engineer is going to make tomorrow, not too much I hope.

The visits from the health teams went well yesterday, and at last think we have made some progress with one of mum's other health issues, which has not been addressed but is now very much on the agenda and we're hoping that she sticks to her word that she will be willing to go for a formal assessment to get a proper diagnosis. This will be her main health issue in the future, as her physical mobility is very good, she's almost back to the same level of fitness as she was before the stroke, but her mental/memory health has deteriorated massively and some days she's very muddled and confused. Also she has practically no short term memory at all. But everything is in hand and moving forward albeit slowly, it will be long process I'm sure.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 09-02-2018 at 6:48 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hi all
    Just a quick pop in as I'm coughing so much I'm not able to sleep. Had about 1hr last night so hanging today. Spoke to DD last night and put off DGD sleepover, plus I don't want her to catch this.
    TA how did you cope with this for 8 weeks ? You must be made of strong stuff
    Nelski Mr Fix It's cold has already gone so he can cook on Sunday if necessary. However I don't want Dad to catch this either because of his asthma, so we'll see how I am tomorrow evening and go from there. Hope your head feels better too !
    Thanks to all for the good wishes . Take care and hugs from a distance !
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 10,590 Posts
    • 116,013 Thanks
    LameWolf
    (not sure if you dear ladies need a particular type of spoon for dealing with awkward oldies though
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Ah, now, for those, you need the famous Slotted Spoon as found in many kitchens.
    This is so that all the orneriness and annoying stuff slips through the holes and dissipates out into the Universe, and you're left with the person who, maddening though they are, you actually love and want only the best for them.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 9th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    bellabella
    Afternoon all
    I have had the day from hell firstly this stupid site has chucked me out and i have had to use an old account that i set up when this happened before Grrr
    I booked the wrong date for DD2 spa day we arrived 1 month too early
    then too top it off DS has been let go from his job at Ama**n warehouse we thought this was coming as he is at the end of his 6 month probation and thats when they get rid of most of there staff
    Anyway i think i will be buying chips for dinner as i dare not cook today
    Thanks for letting me vent
    Tired Mum 2 x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 40,217 Thanks
    Nelski
    LameWolf - It probably was your doing that I first read of the spoons theory, but not sure. It made so much sense to a way of life that I was struggling to understand and certainly not ready to accept at that time.

Now I will stand up and state that my problems are nowhere near as severe as yours and others, but I now seem to have acquired 4 chronic and often painful and debilitating conditions and that for most of the time the worst thing for me is the utter fatigue and the inability to pace myself or make plans.

So Nelski, you will often find me offering spoons and if I could send some your way and help with the pain I would willingly do so, (not sure if you dear ladies need a particular type of spoon for dealing with awkward oldies though
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    not sure having a hangover deserves any cutlery Thanks for the explanation x

Nelski 'twas I who first brought Spoons to MSE - have a read of this, written by a fellow Lupie; it will explain all.
    https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    OK thanks LW

Afternoon all
    I have had the day from hell firstly this stupid site has chucked me out and i have had to use an old account that i set up when this happened before Grrr
    I booked the wrong date for DD2 spa day we arrived 1 month too early
    then too top it off DS has been let go from his job at Ama**n warehouse we thought this was coming as he is at the end of his 6 month probation and thats when they get rid of most of there staff
    Anyway i think i will be buying chips for dinner as i dare not cook today
    Thanks for letting me vent
    Tired Mum 2 x
    Originally posted by bellabella
    Got chucked out too and how on earth they expect me to remember passwords from years ago goodness knows. Anyway after trying every option I could think of I finally had success. I would hate to lose my ID now so know how you feel xx
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    I had to change my password too !
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 15,540 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    It took me nearly an hour to work out what my old password was! I don't know what suddenly prompted me to remember what it was, but I'm glad I did eventually. I wouldn't want to have to have a new identity after so long!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    • 6,499 Posts
    • 41,390 Thanks
    Gers
    Yes, I got a message about my password being 707 days old, couldn’t remember it to change it so did the ‘forgotten’ thing too. Must be more anti-spamming stuff.

DM’s chores done so I’m really just loitering around. She is busy filling a bag with old paperwork for me to burn at home. So far I’ve got bank statements from 2010, a years worth of till receipts and Tiscali statements from 2004-2009. As she’s still rummaging I may need a bigger bag.

I hope everyone is doing well, with or without spoons.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Feb 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 28,034 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Afternoon all. I thought it was only me getting the stupid message up that I needed to change my password - after I had been using it for something like 4,000 days! I tried to ignore it but it was having none of it so had to change it in the end! It kept my original username though!

It's been a glorious day here - as long as you were indoors! Blue blue sky and sunshine, but oh so cold, with a nithering wind blowing.

NAN I don't know about being made of stern stuff! I did plenty of moaning, cursing and swearing in between the neverending coughing! Except for when I totally lost my voice!

Have a nice evening folks and take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    Elona
    I got a message saying my password was eleven days old so I have had to change it as I don't want to lost another username!!!!!!!!!!!

A new display cabinet arrived this morning which I need to unpack and sort out. When I opened the door it was snowing! Snow has not laid and it looks like a nice day now with some blue sky.

Had a brunch of bacon medallions, egg and small slice of toast and have some home made chicken soup and sausages for later. Want to cook some leek and potato soup and look out something from the freezer. I have been using musclefoods but not for a couple of months now as I want to use a proper local butcher.

Middle dd has a birthday at the end of the month and have ordered some little things for her to open as well as going out for the day for lunch and shopping. Managed to find a couple of books. some fancy scented candles and a necklace as well as some bath stuff in a fancy online designer sale so hope it all arrives safely.

Hugs to all
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 26,544 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Another one here who has had to change her password because it was 465 days old, do you think it's because of all the spamming and the lost threads...
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 20,625 Thanks
    csarina2
    I had to change my password too, blooming pain in the ****. I could just remember my old password, Why have we had to do this, we have never been asked to change it before as far as I know. I know I had to change my user name and lost thousands of posts as a result!!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 46,426 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    And me my password was 234 days old.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 40,217 Thanks
    Nelski
    Wondering if we will end up losing some more familiar names who may not even use the email addy they initially entered. Would be a real shame as I know how I would hate to lose my user name
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    Elona
    nelski

I lost all my posts and had to use a capital letter to start my user name but at least, fingers crossed, I can read and post on here.

I started to unpack my cabinet and realised I did not have the strength to do it by myself. It also looks as if a small amount of assembly will be needed. As I don't want to damage the cabinet - or me- I left the box in the hall and phoned and e mailed a handyman to see if he can help me next week.

I have been trying to make broth from meat with bones to see if it helped my knees and it does seem to help a bit. Fancied the idea of an instant pot but that is sold out everywhere so looked at pressurekingpro instead. I had to do a lot of searches but eventually found one that is being delivered in a few days. Hoping the gadget will let me make soups quicker and use less energy or steam up the kitchen.

Hugs to all
    • dp1
    • By dp1 9th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    dp1
    Hi everyone
    Yeah I had to change my password too - it said I'd used it for 2230 days!
    Very busy week at work, but thankfully it's Friday now and a week off for half-term.
    Just going to wash my tea dishes up and have a nice early bath
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 9th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    Just delurking to post these threads about the password change.

I wonder what is really going on behind the scenes at MSE

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791325
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791306
    • Helebore
    • By Helebore 9th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Helebore
    Me too! I had to change my password but initially couldn't remember it! I also had to change my email address and thought I may lose all! Didn't thankfully! I know, I don't post much at all but I do read along!
    • cliffsgirl
    • By cliffsgirl 9th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    cliffsgirl
    I had to change my password too. Luckily I use the same password for everything so was able to remember it.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4,593 Posts
    • 41,442 Thanks
    Floss
    And me - anti-spambotting?
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    LameWolf, what a great explanation. It brought tears to my eyes at how difficult life must be. Puts into perspective ‘feeling a bit under the weather’. I will try to keep the idea of ‘spoons’ in mind during my day. I will also try to count my blessings & give thanks more than once every couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the link LameWolf.

Sending lots of spoons.

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,691Posts Today

8,589Users online

Martin's Twitter