Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GandalfG
    • By GandalfG 8th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GandalfG
    SOGA Acceptance of goods
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    SOGA Acceptance of goods 8th Feb 18 at 10:28 PM
    Hi everyone,
    In February 2014, I bought 36 LED GU10 light bulbs for the spotlights in my house. They cost more than 10 + VAT each, but I assumed I would be saving money on the standard 50W halogens. They were advertised as rated for 50000 hours and with a 5 year guarantee. After about a year, the bulbs started failing. As they failed I returned them to the company for replacements (I returned about 15). To date 21 out of 36 have failed. When I tried returning them almost a year ago, I was told they are out of warranty. I pointed out that the warranty was for 5 years not 3 and they told me I need to register for the extra 2 years. I told them this was never mentioned to me and I sent them a screenshot of their site clearly saying 5 years warranty and they changed that bulb as a goodwill gesture!
    Since then, I have at least 5 more failures and when I got in touch with them they put me through to the manufacturer, who after running me around for about 5 months sent me back to them. I have quoted them the sale of goods act and they have offered me to replace all the bulbs with a newer model, but with no guarantee.
    I told them I have no confidence in the manufacturer anymore and I would like a refund.
    Can I force through the refund or do I have to take the replacements?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Feb 18, 1:06 AM
    • 20,467 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:06 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:06 AM
    I have quoted them the sale of goods act and they have offered me to replace all the bulbs with a newer model, but with no guarantee.
    I told them I have no confidence in the manufacturer anymore and I would like a refund.
    Can I force through the refund or do I have to take the replacements?
    Originally posted by GandalfG
    What part of SOGA did you quote?
    You do realise that any warranty offered is in addition to your statutory rights?
    I think you'll have to accept the replacements.

They are not required to refund you after four years and you are fortunate that they are offering to replace.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 9th Feb 18, 6:12 AM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 1,495 Thanks
    Zandoni
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:12 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:12 AM
    I'd take the replacements, they might well have improved the design by now. Is it LEDHUT by any chance?
    • GandalfG
    • By GandalfG 9th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GandalfG
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    Thank you for your replies
    No it is not LEDHut.
    I quoted that the goods are not satisfactory quality or as described. I told them the 60% failure rate in 4 years is proof.
    I was wodering what the 6 month period for acceptance means. If the defect is something I could not have known about during the first 6 months, have I accepted the product?
    Last edited by GandalfG; 09-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 9th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    Thank you for your replies
    No it is not LEDHut.
    I quoted that the goods are not satisfactory quality or as described. I told them the 60% failure rate in 4 years is proof.
    I was wodering what the 6 month period for acceptance means. If the defect is something I could not have known about during the first 6 months, have I accepted the product?

Or there is something wrong in your unit/wiring causing them to prematurely to fail perhaps?
    • GandalfG
    • By GandalfG 9th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GandalfG
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    The units were bought in the same transaction. The wiring in the house has an electrical safety certificate. They haven't yet come up with that reason yet. I deliberately bought the units with as I needed fire rated units which were open at the back for the LEDs (thats what I was told)
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 9th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    The seller gets to choose which remedy they wish to give - repair, replace or refund - so an offer of replacement is perfectly acceptable.
    • GandalfG
    • By GandalfG 9th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GandalfG
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    I have just found out that the replacement they are offering me is the updated version which is rated at 25000 hours. I would think that I can definitely ask for a replacement which is rated for 50000 hours the same as the original ones.
    Is that correct?
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 9th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    I have just found out that the replacement they are offering me is the updated version which is rated at 25000 hours. I would think that I can definitely ask for a replacement which is rated for 50000 hours the same as the original ones.
    Is that correct?

What do the terms of the warranty you are claiming under say?

If you want to use your rights under the SOGA, then they could ask you for independent report stating the bulbs are inherently faulty. Is such report did confirm that, then you would get the report fee refunded and a remedy.

If they offered a refund, the could deduct a percentage to take into account the use you have already had which is 4 years. I would hazard that on a 10 bulb you would be looking at around 1 refund.

Pick your battles, this is not one! Accept the replacement and move on.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Was it 50,000 hrs or up to 50,000 hrs? 50,000 hrs equals over 5 yrs continuous 24 hr use, pretty good bulbs!
    • GandalfG
    • By GandalfG 9th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GandalfG
    Yes thats why I was upset when they start flashing much earlier. Seems ike they should have been at 70% of full brightness after 50000 hours. They were supposed to be equivlent to 65w halogens so after 50000 hours equivalent to 45.5W halogens
    See link https://www.megamanuk.com/products/led-lamps/reflector/gu10/141751/
    They have been discontinued
    Last edited by GandalfG; 09-02-2018 at 4:45 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter