Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeff_chandler
    • By jeff_chandler 8th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 154Posts
    • 22Thanks
    jeff_chandler
    8mm Cassette tapes to laptop
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    8mm Cassette tapes to laptop 8th Feb 18 at 8:22 PM
    Hi all.

I have been attempting for a long time to get my 8mm Camcorder cassettes transferred to a DVD or a laptop which operates Windows 10.
    A friend told me of a device which Amazon sells called.....EzCAP 116 USB 2.0 Video Capture Device. It does say it's compatible with Windows XP Windows 7 but not 10? has anyone used one of these with success?

Kind regards Jeff.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 8th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    Assume its this one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Camcorders-Satellite-playstation3-software/dp/B003D8VQIG

If your camera's old enough and the computer has a port, Firewire might be an option to transfer the data.
    • jeff_chandler
    • By jeff_chandler 8th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jeff_chandler
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    Thank you for your kind reply.
    Yes that is the one from Amazon, they're also sold on e bay but sell for 35.
    As to Firewire? I'm unsure as to what that would be.

Kind regards Jeff
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 8,535 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    Tell us which camcorder you have, make and model
    • jeff_chandler
    • By jeff_chandler 10th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jeff_chandler
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    Hi again and sorry for the late reply.

The Camcorder I have is a Sanyo VM-D6P. It does have all the small jack plug sockets white yellow and red.
    I contacted a friend I haven't seen in years and to my surprise he still had his Sanyo camcorder. I took it home and tried a few of the tapes but, the picture on playback through the view finder was the same as they were when played through mine.

I now presume the tapes are cream crackered and beyond transferring. However, after speaking with my friend he mentioned a few places that do tape to DVD or to a drive pen etc. Some even have enhanced technology to eliminate the fuzziness and make them watchable. This did give me a bit of hope.

Kind regards Jeff.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    Realistically if the tape is deteriorating and suffering from picture drop out there's little any company can do at that point especially if they're too far gone. Transferring to DVD is easy, its often just getting the stuff off the tape in the first place that's the hard bit.

The three way white, yellow and red connectors sound like Phono connectors. You can get adaptors for these to convert them to a connection you can plug into the computer (some vinyl/record players use phono connectors too).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin