Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 306Posts
    • 203Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    Adding Kerb appeal in February?
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    Adding Kerb appeal in February? 8th Feb 18 at 6:48 PM
    We put our house on the market last week but there's been much less interest in it than we hoped/expected. It does seem priced about right as far as we're aware. So far, we've had one 'proceedable' viewing (they came, they spent 45 mins, they disappeared with no feedback given), one 'non-proceedable' which was cancelled, and have another non-proceedable viewing booked for next week.
    I know this is generally a quiet time of year but I think our house should be doing better. Imo it doesn't have enough kerb appeal - link to pic here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1a0lwf2hely2ye/2018-02-06%2013.10.35.jpg?dl=0
    There isn't much scope to do any of the usual front garden things because there *is* no front garden; the front door opens straight onto the street, but I think it looks a bit drab, even though the inside of the house is not. The window ledges are shallow and they slope so we can't have window boxes.
    It's in a quiet, safe, pleasant conservation area and we are happy with the inside pics taken by the agent, but I can't help thinking the outside pic of the house may be putting people off. I usually put some seasonal plants outside, as do other neighbours in our little terrace, but as it's February - and very cold as we all know - there's little or no chance of having nice colourful flowers (which provide a good contrast to the black.)
    At the moment we have a small olive tree and a dormant climber in containers outside the door but these aren't doing anything to brighten the appearance.
    Please could anyone give me some pointers to help me brighten it up a bit? Or am I best being a bit more patient and waiting til spring?
    Last edited by Kittenonthekeys; 08-02-2018 at 6:56 PM.
Page 2
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    Then I would make that clear in the listing. Much more important than the Cromwell Museum and TK Maxx.

Ah, I guess Cambridge-ish is a very different market to where I live, then. Three beds here are typically considered a family home, so they're marketed toward families. They are sometimes bought by couples who both work from home, friends/siblings getting on the ladder together, etc., but they're generally more sought after by families.

It just seems high-maintenance for something that can't be used for practical purposes. I feel like I'd need to be a keen gardener if I bought your house.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Thank you - I will go and rewrite the listing (luckily I have full control over it), you're absolutely right and it's been so helpful for me to have the opportunity to see it from other people's perspectives. I guess as the parking has never been an issue for us, I didnt think to give it centre stage, but I realise of course it is important.
    Actually, the garden is low maintenance and really easy / enjoyable to look after - it's mostly containers, there are no weeds, no grass to mow and only the big plants need cutting back every couple of weeks in the summer. It's also completely unoverlooked.
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 9th Feb 18, 12:09 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    You're welcome. Parking is a Big Thing where I live, so it's one of those things that always pops out at me, even though I don't drive.

People might be drawn in by being sold a lifestyle, especially at the high end of the market, but I think they ultimately want to know the practical stuff like where the car, the washing machine and the wheelie bins go and whether their granny's antique wardrobe will fit up the stairs.

Bear in mind that I'm nervous of plants (I feel like they're full of creepy crawlies that are going to jump on me), so my views may be skewed on this. My personal preference is for a small paved yard with high walls, a washing line and somewhere to keep the wheelie bins. I don't really do decorative gardens.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    BIB
    Our plants are very friendly - they don't bite And no creepy crawlies either.
    We have 3 wheelie bins, plus a small summer house and a tiny shed - all neatly tucked away in that garden. Yes there's even room for a washing line / rotary airer if someone wanted to have them. Plenty of space for all the practicalities of life, both inside and outside our house. The parking has barely even registered on our radar of inconveniences, but I can see how someone might think it is a problem. Still, plenty of people live around here, almost all have at least one vehicle and they manage quite well, so it really shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    I've revised my listing so it should go live tomorrow morning.
    Thanks again, much appreciated,
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 9th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    I've retaken the garden pic to show more of it (below), amended the blurb on RM to cut out the waffle, explained more about the parking - and when the wind dies down a bit, I'll sort out the front of the house.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqz1d4zcmivkmcz/2018-02-09%2010.22.56.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Kittenonthekeys; 09-02-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 9th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 7,009 Thanks
    pimento
    I can't find the listing from the image. Can someone help me out?

ETA. Found it!
    Last edited by pimento; 09-02-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 62,477 Posts
    • 365,927 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It sounds daft, but I think I'd consider spending 20 on a dab of paint to make the front door the lighter colour of the house to the right .... painting a couple of planters to match that at the bottom... then taking the photo to exclude the house on the left.

Those black fronts are a bit "ominous" looking, so it will be dismissed more readily by those who don't see that as the first sight.

For window boxes, if you first affix a small wedge onto the windowsill a window box would sit flat... for it being windy, yes, plants would die ... but all you need is a few cheery ones in a box for the photos (could even be plastic).

Any other issues aside, the frontage will just dissuade people who "might be persuaded" it's the house for them once they're inside. The ditherers, the "never thought we'd buy here" sorts....

It all depends how much time/money/effort you want to put into it
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 9th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    PasturesNew- very helpful tips, thank you.
    I'm eager to try them but it's just too cold for me to be working outside or having the front door open to paint it at the moment (getting over a winter virus
    I'll have to wait til the weather improves slightly but all food for thought. !!!55357;!!!56397;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin